Author Topic: SCRIPTA - Litecoin mining distribution for Raspberry Pi  (Read 230288 times)

Offline Chirale

Re: SCRIPTA - Litecoin mining distribution for Raspberry Pi
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
1st post.... hope I can get an answer, do you think this will work with the ASIC usb miners coming out? Maby already tested by some and you know?
Really just want to run the miner off my router and as small as possible with rasp/usb hub is the way to go small set and forget without leaving a high watt PC on 24/7.
Are you referring to the USB miner with one gridseed chip available on dualminer.com? I received a unit from dualminer and we are also planning to integrate the dualminer in Scripta.
Tnx for the interest.

Offline Tathata

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
Yes, the ones from dualminer.com.

Offline Chirale

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »
Yes, the ones from dualminer.com.
Excellent! I'll post an update as soon as we have the new version that support the gridseed products (and a few other features).

Offline Tathata

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
Nice, thanks.

Offline Chirale

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
This post is on behalf of drfranz! He is hell busy and asked me to post how to run gridseed "round units" on Raspberry PI.
This is for LTC mining only. We are currently working on the BTC mining.

Instructions:
1) Download minerd for Raspberry Pi here
2) Copy minerd into Raspberry Pi
3) Find dev name where gc3355 is attached to (es. /dev/ttyUSB0). You can run dmesg.
4) Launch the following command with the appropriate values:
minerd -G <yourDevice> -o <yourMiningPoolAddress:Port> -u <User> -p <Pass> --freq=600 -D
Frequency parametres is currently unused

Enjoy!

P.S. In the next couple of weeks we will try to release the new version of scripta running gridseed products as well as ltcgear boards.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:29:17 PM by Chirale »

Offline worldlybedouin

• Elite Member
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »
This post is on behalf of drfranz! He is hell busy and asked me to post how to run gridseed "round units" on Raspberry PI.
This is for LTC mining only. We are currently working on the BTC mining.

Instructions:
1) Download minerd for Raspberry Pi here
2) Copy minerd into Raspberry Pi
3) Find dev name where gc3355 is attached to (es. /dev/ttyUSB0). You can run dmesg.
4) Launch the following command with the appropriate values:
minerd -G <yourDevice> -o <yourMiningPoolAddress:Port> -u <User> -p <Pass> --freq=600 -D
Frequency parametres is currently unused

Enjoy!

P.S. In the next couple of weeks we will try to release the new version of scripta running gridseed products as well as ltcgear boards.

Couple of thoughts on this:

1. Thanks to you and DrFranz for your hard work!  It's really appreciated.

2. I was able to get the new version of minerd working...since I'm not a linux guy, I didn't know to put '/dev/' in front of the device name; for example:  minerd -G /dev/<yourDevice> -o <stratum+tcp://yourMiningPoolAddress:port> -u <User> -P <Pass> --freq=600 -D

3. I noticed that the power consumption increased dramatically so I had to quickly yank the cord out.  One of the cheap silver PSU's burned out on me a day ago and I've been running the 10 miners in LTC-only mode off of just the remaining one (~95watts).  But when I run it with scripta/minerd I saw the power rise as far as 500watts, so I yanked it out before the PSU gave out...I could smell the components.  Not sure what's going on here, but I've got 110% confidence in the scripta team to iron out the bugs over time.

Again, many thanks to you both for all of your hard work!

Cheers and good night.

Offline worldlybedouin

• Elite Member
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
Thought about my #3 above...

I think it could be that both the BTC and LTC chips are powered up even though minerd is only sending work to the LTC chips.  I recall reading on a number of threads that if the supplied TP-LINK controller is not used to manage these miners, then each of the miners will power up both sets of chips.  So this means you get a BTC chip drawing power but not doing anything and the LTC chips getting work and hasing just fine.

This would explain why the 10 miners started to draw in more power...and since I was running all 10 off of the single 360watt silver PSU, it makes sense that it would just be overloaded -- thus the faint smell of the components heating up.

Edit:  I have a replacement silver PSU on the way and should arrive today.  Once I get it I'll go back to a 2 PSU setup and re-run my test of the Scripta/RasPi setup. 

Offline Darkedge

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
Hi, great job on the Linux distribution, I am fairly new to the raspberry pi, it seems to do exactly what I want for a basic setup.. I noticed on the first page there's a post explaining the setup for model B, is there any particular reason I can't use model A? For my setup, I will be have to use a USB hub, so paying extra for a basically useless USB port is not preferable.. it is possible I have overlooked something though, would you be able to clarify?

Thanks,
Darkedge.

Offline Sy

• Legendary Member
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »
Hi, great job on the Linux distribution, I am fairly new to the raspberry pi, it seems to do exactly what I want for a basic setup.. I noticed on the first page there's a post explaining the setup for model B, is there any particular reason I can't use model A? For my setup, I will be have to use a USB hub, so paying extra for a basically useless USB port is not preferable.. it is possible I have overlooked something though, would you be able to clarify?

Thanks,
Darkedge.

Model A has no LAN

Offline mudflap

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »
Interesting read here, I might get a PI on order!

Offline maardein

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
Does adding support for the gridseed units mean that you will start supporting SHA mining as well? I would love to just have a single raspi manage all the mining!

Offline Chirale

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:59 PM »
I think it could be that both the BTC and LTC chips are powered up even though minerd is only sending work to the LTC chips.  I recall reading on a number of threads that if the supplied TP-LINK controller is not used to manage these miners, then each of the miners will power up both sets of chips.  So this means you get a BTC chip drawing power but not doing anything and the LTC chips getting work and hasing just fine.
This would explain why the 10 miners started to draw in more power...and since I was running all 10 off of the single 360watt silver PSU, it makes sense that it would just be overloaded -- thus the faint smell of the components heating up.
Edit:  I have a replacement silver PSU on the way and should arrive today.  Once I get it I'll go back to a 2 PSU setup and re-run my test of the Scripta/RasPi setup.
Thank you for the feedback!
I discussed it with drfranz and he said that he will try to disable the BTC core (for LTC mining solo). I'll let you know when I know more about!

Offline Chirale

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »
Does adding support for the gridseed units mean that you will start supporting SHA mining as well? I would love to just have a single raspi manage all the mining!
The aim of Scripta is mainly to run scrypt mining units, but we will probably support also the BTC mining (only for the gridseed untis). For pure BTC mining units (BFL, bitfury etc.etc minepeon or multiminer are great softwares resources.

Offline worldlybedouin

• Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
Thank you for the feedback!
I discussed it with drfranz and he said that he will try to disable the BTC core (for LTC mining solo). I'll let you know when I know more about!

Ok, so I just completed my test, using DrFranz's version of minerd running off the Scripta image on a RasPi...

I can confirm the power consumption I saw yesterday:

Watts on LightingASIC controller:  ~108
Watts on Scripta/minerd/RasPi:  ~479

So it does seem to indicate that the BTC core is still getting power even though its not doing any actual hashing.

Offline worldlybedouin

• Elite Member
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 12:42:13 AM »
Ugh...moderator please delete this post...accidental duplicate.