Author Topic: [GUIDE] How to mine LiteCoins from scratch! Both cgminer and GUIminer version  (Read 328286 times)

Offline nanoprobe

My bad. Quoted wrong post.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:03:18 AM by nanoprobe »

Offline uniphase6755

ok I am a total newb, it says that opencl.dll is missing from my computer, is this something I can download to resolve?

Offline ThomasFX

• Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin Enthusiast
    • Litecoin
ok I am a total newb, it says that opencl.dll is missing from my computer, is this something I can download to resolve?

You can easily resolve this by downloading the AMD SDK

Offline nanoprobe

Newbie questions

Does this process work on Windows XP? I can only find the AMD Drivers for Win7 forward.

Also, if I have an NVidia card is it still proper to set up those AMD Drivers etc? Doesn't make sense to my normal brain to be installing drivers for hardware I do not have.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Yes you should be able to use XP but you can not use any driver above 12.1 because ATI dropped OpenCL support for XP above 12.1 and you need OpenCl for this to work. You can download the 12.1 driver here.
And FWIW I don't believe XP will run any ATI 7xxx cards. Any 5xxx or 6xxx should work fine.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:06:53 AM by nanoprobe »

Offline hondaf17

I followed the guide and have everything set up.  When I click "start" on GUIMiner it just says "starting" and doesn't ever start counting shares.  My CPU usage is at 100%, but I have the Device set to [1-0] Cayman and GPU Defaults to 6950.  My CPU usage is at 100 and GPU usage is at 0.  What am I doing wrong?  I'm on Windows 8.1.

Offline monica80

Hi Honda, let me know if you solved your problem..

Offline hondaf17

Hi Honda, let me know if you solved your problem..

Haven't solved it yet.  Do you have the same issue?

Offline hondaf17

I've followed this guide but I'm also having problems, the GUIminer hangs on "starting" like this:

I've already tried deleting all my AMD drivers and installing them again together with the SDK and rebooting in between, don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Did you ever solve your issue?  I'm having the same problem.

Thanks,

Offline philipma1957

okay I get hashing but insanely low numbers.   16 kh for my sapphire 7970 and 11 kh for my his 7790.

I setup on two different pc's tried both cards on both pc's I used 13.1 13.4 13.9 13. 11 catalyst and I used cgminer 3.5 and 3.72   I never go above 21gh  both cards mine btc fine and play games fine.

I used windows 7 pro and windows 7 ultimate.  I have spent 40 hours the last few days.  So I decided to ask what the fuck am I doing wrong?

oh one last thing guiminer does not work at all.

this has to be a driver issue.  these machines are what is left of my 13 pc btc mine.  I knew ltc was tough to start so I never bothered.   but my house is a bit cold I would like some free heat.  some one please help

Offline hondaf17

SOLVED my issue.

Deleted/uninstalled ALL AMD drivers.  Then used driver sweeper to make sure all AMD drivers were gone.  Installed latest 13.11 BETA drivers direct from AMD website.  Did NOT download SDK.  Use CGMiner 3.6.6 https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries

Then my BAT file is simply:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://usa.wemineltc.com:3334 -u xxxxxxx -p yyyyy  -I 18

I can control GPU clocks from MSI Afterburner.

Getting about 400 kh/s with a slightly overclocked 6950.  Runs at 75 degrees C with 75-80 fan load.  Stable.  I'm on Windows 8.1.

Hope this helps.

Offline narukokun

Total Newbie here. I followed the guide to a tee (hopefully).
My problem is the GUIminer just sits there. i click start and nothing. It just says:
Shares: 0 accepted            Stopped
Clicking start doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not too sure about my GPu either. I have AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, which I never saw in the wiki.

Currently (11:53 pm EST Dec 13) my settings are:
host: world.wemineltc.com     port: 3335
Device: Pitcairn or AMD FX (tm)-8150 Eight-Core
Thread concurrency: 8000            Worksize:256
Vectors:1      Intensity:18
GPU Threads: 1       GPU Defaults: 7770 (also tried 7850 hi and low)

Any help is really appreciated.

Offline kdyzol

Hey OP or anyone who could help.
How do you get 2 gpus going?
the mining pool I'm using is wemineltc.com and I had to use their auto generated .bat file as I tried to input the code and cut out what wasn't me and replace with me but that didn't work as cgminer wouldn't activate.

I have 1x 7950 going at 300kh/s and one at 0 kh/s how do i start the other one?
Thanks!

Offline BlueDream

I followed your instructions but I am having some difficulties. Every time I change the thread concurrency to anything past 9999, cgminer wont start it giving me errors with my gpus.  I am using the settings that you recommend except my thread concurrency is 8192, I have been running since yesterday 3pm till today 1pm and I have earned 0.0459LTC. That just doesn't seem right, at this rate ill take me forever to get a coin. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me please?

I believe I should be running at 24000 thread concurrency  since I am using hd 7970 & 7950. Idk if this makes a big difference.

Does anything look off? I feel like I should be getting 1 coin every 2 days at this current hash rate.

Thank you

Offline the midnighter

Hi all,

I followed the guide to use GUIMiner -scrypt, and all of my settings are correct (I've checked them 10 times each I swear) - and the program saves my configuration settings, however when I hit "Start" the program changes to "Starting" and then just hangs there.
It doesn't freeze, it just never seems to connect.

I've installed the latest AMD drivers, and I've even re-installed Windows (It was that time, anyway) - No firewalls installed yet, not even an anti-virus yet. I'm still unable to connect, so I'm sure it's not Windows.
I was mining on my previous version of Windows behind the same router successfully, there are no log files being generated as far as I can see.

any ideas??

Offline BlueDream

Did you install the APP SDK 2.8? I was having the same problem and I fixed it by uninstalling the drivers following this guide: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/4/4/guide-how-to-completely-uninstall-amd-graphics-drivers.aspx?pageid=1 
then I re installed drivers and sdk. Everything work after that, give it a try.You also have to install the drivers before the sdk.