Author Topic: List of LTC FPGA/ASIC-miner-developers  (Read 269589 times)

Offline Chuck Finley

Re: List of LTC FPGA-miner-developers
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
You don't take in account things like:
- you will be able to install more kH/s per same power line
- it will be less noisy, possible no noise at all if you don't overclock
- it will take less room. or, the other way, you will able to pack more in the same space
- it will generate less heat

I don't have any hard stats but I'd bet that if you took away all the large miners that the average miner probably puts down less than 4,000 khash (about 8 x 7950) which isn't even close to maxing out their power line. I think the average person's wallet is much more of a limiting factor (so again, price trumps power use).

Noise is really only a problem for people mining from their desktops. Anyone with a dedicated mining operation probably isn't so concerned about the noise that they'd pay 2x the cost for the same hash power just to make things a little quieter.

Again, the average miner probably has two or fewer dedicated mining rigs - saving a tiny amount of space again probably not worth paying a significant premium for your hashing power.

Less heat is probably the most important of those points. However this has varying impact and is obviously more important to people in hot climates whereas people in colder climates can just pipe in external air for free cooling.

I'm not saying people shouldn't develop FPGAs here - just that the price needs to come down to be much closer to the GPU price per hash since I doubt most people would be willing to pay a large premium to save some power noise and heat. Due to the ASIC arms race in the SHA-256 world it seems like people over here on the SCRYPT side are itching for some "miracle cure" but so far all efforts seem to have confirmed that it is much harder/costlier to build an FPGA/ASIC for SCRYPT mining.

Offline Chirale

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
On a different note...
do we know whether anyone has ever tried or maybe is currently working on Intel Xeon Phi for litecoin mining? I remember a thread about it, but not sure anything happened. The feeling was that it wasn't worth it because of cost of the hardware and the actual performance in term of Khash/s. Has anyone changed is mind?

Just to familiarize with the hardware...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-phi-detail.html

Offline Sy

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
On a different note...
do we know whether anyone has ever tried or maybe is currently working on Intel Xeon Phi for litecoin mining? I remember a thread about it, but not sure anything happened. The feeling was that it wasn't worth it because of cost of the hardware and the actual performance in term of Khash/s. Has anyone changed is mind?

Just to familiarize with the hardware...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-phi-detail.html

I think no one actually tried but yes, something along those lines :) it's still a CPU, might be nice for prime though....

Offline code

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Glad someone took the time to gather all this information in one place - hope you will keep it updated!

I am curious how this whole FPGA thing will progress for scrypt. So far there have been so so so many claims of "we're going to make a FPGA that works and is cost-effective" but so far it seems like almost every single group has failed to bring the cost down to something that would surpass GPUs.

One big true.  [ltc]

Offline kentt

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »
Thanks for doing thing.

The summary for me is: GPUs are still king.

Offline WoodTech

• VIP Donator
  • Kate Craig-Wood
    • Wood Technology LLP
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »
Ciphermine is developing an fpga / asic?

No, we're not. That's a bit of an error. We were considering it, but since several groups have sprung up to develop them we've decided to just be a "first batch customer" instead.

Kate.

Offline Chirale

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 08:13:46 AM »
Ciphermine is developing an fpga / asic?

No, we're not. That's a bit of an error. We were considering it, but since several groups have sprung up to develop them we've decided to just be a "first batch customer" instead.

Kate.

Thank you Kate.
I was aware of your shares system, but I added ciphermine to the list of developers because i thought there was a part of the team developing an LTC FPGA miner. I'll take you off the list and apologies for the mistake.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:21:36 AM by Chirale »

Offline Chirale

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
Good Job! I will keep an eye on this thread.

Tnx Beekeeper!
And I'll keep on eye on your thread too!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:28:04 PM by Chirale »

Offline beekeeper

• LTC Gear
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »

Tnx Beekeeper!
Really useful, I did found some of the "competition" from your thread. One tip. When someone comes to you and tells you he has an artifact of an old civilisation doing unbelivebal hash rates, just ask him for a video. No video... use your brain.. :)

Offline Chirale

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 07:15:16 PM »

Tnx Beekeeper!
Really useful, I did found some of the "competition" from your thread. One tip. When someone comes to you and tells you he has an artifact of an old civilisation doing unbelivebal hash rates, just ask him for a video. No video... use your brain.. :)

Excellent. I'll keep in mind your "video tip"!

Offline razorfishsl

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 03:02:39 AM »
I would likely consider 'slucebit' as a scam.
Not least of which is the fact that much of their site contains 'stolen' content from around the web…….

From slucebit site
Xilinx's FPGAs have been used for the ALICE (A Large Ion Collider Experiment) at the CERN European laboratory on the French-Swiss border to map and disentangle the trajectories of thousands of subatomic particles.[34]……{long winded technical looking post}

From Wikipidia
Xilinx's FPGAs have been used for the ALICE (A Large Ion Collider Experiment) at the CERN European laboratory on the French-Swiss border to map and disentangle the trajectories of thousands of subatomic particles.[34]…..{long winded technical article}

From slucebit site
Altera's Cyclone® V FPGAs provide the industry's lowest system cost and power, along with performance levels that make the device family ideal for differentiating your high-volume applications. You'll get up to 40 percent
From altera website
Altera's Cyclone® V FPGAs provide the industry's lowest system cost and power, along with performance levels that make the device family ideal for differentiating your high-volume applications. You'll get up to 40 percent

And then there is the  antiquated usage of equines.

SluiceBit.com Ins has invested tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of engineering design hourse

Infact even longer than Litecoin has been in existence…

over the past years in making GPU mining obsolete.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:08:54 AM by razorfishsl »

Offline Chirale

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »
I would likely consider 'slucebit' as a scam.
Not least of which is the fact that much of their site contains 'stolen' content from around the web…….

From slucebit site
Xilinx's FPGAs have been used for the ALICE (A Large Ion Collider Experiment) at the CERN European laboratory on the French-Swiss border to map and disentangle the trajectories of thousands of subatomic particles.[34]……{long winded technical looking post}

From Wikipidia
Xilinx's FPGAs have been used for the ALICE (A Large Ion Collider Experiment) at the CERN European laboratory on the French-Swiss border to map and disentangle the trajectories of thousands of subatomic particles.[34]…..{long winded technical article}

From slucebit site
From altera website

And then there is the  antiquated usage of equines.

SluiceBit.com Ins has invested tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of engineering design hourse

Infact even longer than Litecoin has been in existence…

over the past years in making GPU mining obsolete.

Razorfishsl,
Thank you for your post.
As I mentioned in my first post the purpose of this thread is to list the current LTC-FPGA-Developers and I deliberately did not express my view on the projects because often is quite difficult to understand who is trustworthy and who is not...
I think people will find your entry useful to make up their mind if they decide to invest some money in an LTC FPGA. Obviously slucebit is welcome to answer on this matter.

Bye

Offline illpoet

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »
i've been following the scrypt fpga/asic thing and am kind of happy that so far theres nothing that really threatens gpu's.  THe 7950's  i bought in april have either already roi'd or are about to roi, even with the prifce of ltc being only 2 bucks. Im not really sure because i don't keep track of that stuff.  Im just into mining.  Still tho it would be tough to buy an fpga because i don't want to give up litecoins i've mined for something that may or may not mine that many litecoins.  The price in usd for most of these at least so far is waay too much for me to be able to fork out because i have bills to pay and all that crap.  still if one comes out that i could afford i might be interested.

Offline Operatr

• BlockBurner
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
i've been following the scrypt fpga/asic thing and am kind of happy that so far theres nothing that really threatens gpu's.  THe 7950's  i bought in april have either already roi'd or are about to roi, even with the prifce of ltc being only 2 bucks. Im not really sure because i don't keep track of that stuff.  Im just into mining.  Still tho it would be tough to buy an fpga because i don't want to give up litecoins i've mined for something that may or may not mine that many litecoins.  The price in usd for most of these at least so far is waay too much for me to be able to fork out because i have bills to pay and all that crap.  still if one comes out that i could afford i might be interested.

Actually if they end up being around $1/Kh/s they will be around the same price as a comparable GPU rig. With 3 7850s I managed to get around 1 Gh/s out of it and it cost about $1000 to build at the time. The real difference is this-

1 Gh/s GPU rig = 700w +
1 Gh/s FPGA rig (using Scriptor 8x as the example) = ~200w (4x board)

Using only 1/4 the power to do the same work is certainly worth it on the long term, and also carries with it far less maintenance and setup. Time and energy savings make these worth it over GPUs easily. There is also the heat factor that makes GPU farms much harder to deploy in larger scales, FPGAs don't really have that issue.

You can probably take BlockBurner off the list unless its there for historical record as the project is indeed 6 feet under, though it is back online as a news site and eventual shop now  :)

Offline Chirale

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 11:31:17 PM »

Actually if they end up being around $1/Kh/s they will be around the same price as a comparable GPU rig. With 3 7850s I managed to get around 1 Gh/s out of it and it cost about $1000 to build at the time. The real difference is this-

1 Gh/s GPU rig = 700w +
1 Gh/s FPGA rig (using Scriptor 8x as the example) = ~200w (4x board)

Using only 1/4 the power to do the same work is certainly worth it on the long term, and also carries with it far less maintenance and setup. Time and energy savings make these worth it over GPUs easily. There is also the heat factor that makes GPU farms much harder to deploy in larger scales, FPGAs don't really have that issue.

You can probably take BlockBurner off the list unless its there for historical record as the project is indeed 6 feet under, though it is back online as a news site and eventual shop now  :)

Operatr,
I would like to keep your old project on the list for historical reasons. I believe that is important to read old threads and also to keep record of people interested in development the next generation of miners!
Happy to see that your website is back!