Author Topic: Scams, Ponzi's and Fraud  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Someguy123

• Owner and operator of explorer.litecoin.net
    • Litecoin Block Explorer
Scams, Ponzi's and Fraud
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »
As of today, we have a new policy. After hearing some concerns about the whole fontas pump and dump, as well as people coming out of nowhere, after registering several accounts begging for donations for some random charity; a new category has been created called "Scams and Fraud" https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/board,70.0.html

This board should contain any sort-of high risk topics, where a user is likely to cause damage to themselves, the network or others by participating. I personally don't believe in censorship, so I've decided that instead of simply deleting obvious scams, we can move them into the new scams and fraud board, where users are warned that the topics they're viewing are likely scams or fraud.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:59:54 PM by Someguy123 »

Offline ShadowBroker

• Lets see just how deep your pockets can go.
Re: Scams, Ponzi's and Fraud
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »
As of today, we have a new policy. After hearing some concerns about the whole fontas pump and dump, as well as people coming out of nowhere, after registering several accounts begging for donations for some random charity; a new category has been created called "Scams and Fraud" https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/board,70.0.html

This board should contain any sort-of high risk topics, where a user is likely to cause damage to themselves, the network or others by participating. I personally don't believe in censorship, so I've decided that instead of simply deleting obvious scams, we can move them into the new scams and fraud board, where users are warned that the topics they're viewing are likely scams or fraud.

Someguy123, This actually is a good idea, avoids a good chunk of schemes, I appreciate this.

Offline CoinCatalyst

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:05 AM »
It probably wouldn't hurt to word your definition of a scam a little better. Building the litecoin brand will consequently causes losses to some and gains for others.

Offline Chuck Finley

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:00:58 AM »
I can't remember what the "new user" procedure is here so this might already be covered but if there's a problem with these guys spam-registering multiple accounts to high five each other perhaps we need something like over at bitcointalk where new users are required to spend a certain amount of time on the board before they can post something. If the delay doesn't deter them at least it will make it that much more difficult for them.

Offline odie158

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:48 AM »
I can't remember what the "new user" procedure is here so this might already be covered but if there's a problem with these guys spam-registering multiple accounts to high five each other perhaps we need something like over at bitcointalk where new users are required to spend a certain amount of time on the board before they can post something. If the delay doesn't deter them at least it will make it that much more difficult for them.
That is am excellent idea! Though at the time it seemed like kind of a pain to be stuck as a newbie on bitcoin talk, in retrospect it was pretty easy to get off. I just surfed around, learned about mining and bitcoins, made some posts, and I was off. It would prevent people from registering multiple accounts easily.

Offline Chuck Finley

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »
It also, hopefully, would force people to read *something* on here so hopefully that would lessen the newbie posts of "what hardware should I buy" "what hashrate can I get from a 7950" and any other question that has been answered multiple times.

Offline PilotCurly99

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:13 AM »
I appreciate how many people in this forum are dedicated to the credibility and trust that will be necessary for LTC to proceed to mainstream consumers.

Offline Carnth

• Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »
I also want to continue to encourage the users of this forum to submit feedback about such scams/fraud. The admins and mods simply don't have time to check every new post for accuracy.
This is why the best part of our forum has always been the users that contribute meaningful posts and call out on suspicious ones.

Offline Carnth

• Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
I am new on this forum and want to know what kind of frauds and scams we can discuss  here. In future will get tips or protection suggestion about those frauds??? I am interested to know because i already a victim of identity theft fraud.

The reported fraud and scams on this forum should relate to Litecoin (i.e. someone stole your coins or broke promises after you paid LTC).

I am very sorry about your identify theft. Feel free to create a new topic on the "Off-Topic" board if you would like to talk about it. (Off-Top only because identify theft doesn't deal specifically with Litecoin.)

Offline razorfishsl

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »
Simple.....
just watch the bitcoin forums... anything that has been tried there will be tried here......, in fact it might be worth mirroring that  part of the BTC forum and replace 'bit' with 'lite'

Offline mishax1

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
bump - check this ponzi - https://leancy.com/ (referral)  working for 2 months now.. seems to be "legit".

Offline GotALite

• spread the hash
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:12 PM »
CAUTION : anything with Jasinlee aka Jason Hudgins is likely to be a scam. This includes XC Coin, Cachecoin, Fibonx, Cryptophi and of course Fibonacci, Inc.

See this thread for reference:

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=21506.msg198342#msg198342

Offline seanmcevers

• Trust is earned
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
When I click on this thread I expected to see a list of people and companys that known scammers.
But I don't see this list I think I may have just been scammed last night because I clicked on a thread here.
And trusted someone I shouldn't have and thats because I found that link here.
So unless you guy's want to except some of the blame then lets get this list of bad guys where everyone can see and find them.
                              NO MORE RIP OFF'S

Offline dirtyjoe

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 11:33:33 PM »
When I click on this thread I expected to see a list of people and companys that known scammers.

NO MORE RIP OFF'S

+99
I know centralized location for scammers on this forum would be very helpful

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:00 AM »

NO MORE RIP OFF'S

+99
I know centralized location for scammers on this forum would be very helpful

There is, its called scams and fraud!

But if you want to see one thread instead, you are very much welcome to put that list together yourself and have others contribute :).