Author Topic: Read this before asking for help  (Read 10921 times)

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
Read this before asking for help
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:14 AM »
Ok so there are a few things I wanted to detail about troubleshooting your rigs and simple steps you can take to make it easier for us to help you. Big thanks to lbr for correcting any errors I made!

Troubleshooting Basics!

Since most people here use cgminer, I will talk about that. The very first thing I see when people say "I get XXX error, here is my config file/batch file settings" and they have a ton of crap in their file that isn't needed. When troubleshooting, remove EVERYTHING in your batch or config file that you dont need to run cgminer (basically only --scrypt, your pool, worker name, and password for worker). About %25 of the problems I see here is because someone has a setting they dont understand and just copy it from somewhere else without knowing what it does. Or worse yet, they have a error with their settings (using -w instead of -u as a setting for workername). So, make sure you only have the very basics of your settings you need to run.

If your cards are not being recognized, and you have 6 cards, 2 directly plugged into the MoBo, 2 with 1x-16x risers, and 2 with 16x-16x risers, you need to start removing stuff. Only have 1 card and see if that works, than 2, than 3. If your system craps out after the 3rd card start to do some basic things such as try another riser (could be a bad riser), plug directly into the mobo, and try another slot with the same card. If that all fails than try another card (maybe card was bad). There are a ton of combinations that could be tried and will eliminate the possible problems.

First and foremost, list your hardware and software you are using.

OS
mining software (CGminer or GUIminer) and ver
If possible, list website that you followed when setting up your rig (so we can see the steps if need be)
Did you download SDK and what ver (NOT NEEDED if you installed 13.xx catalyst versions)
mining pool website
What ver of catalyst you have installed
Do you have MSI afterburner installed and are you using it to drive the fan/undervolt GPU's/overclock mem etc.

Your hardware, most importantly your GPU and PS specs. It is easiest to drop a link to newegg or tigerdirect or amazon of the specific products 

Double check your settings

Workers:
One of the largest issues I see people is when their settings aren't correct. Ensure that you create your worker at the pool you joined and the name matches EXACTLY in your CG/GUI miner.

Port number:
Your port number must match the same one as the pool you are entering. In GUIminer there is a separate text box for it, but in CGminer you will have to add a colon ":" at the end of your pool address. For example, in my .config file on my CGminer it looks like this "http://usa-1.liteguardian.com:3335".

Pool addresses:
Realize they are entered differently depending on how you enter them. For GUIminer they do not need the "http://" part in the text box, simply put the address like this "coinotron.com".
For CGminer there are 2 ways to do this. If you are using a .config file it will look like the one in the pool number section above this "http://usa-1.liteguardian.com:3335"
If you set up a .bat file, the section where you list the pool address will have extra stuff in the front and look like this "stratum+tcp://gigahash.wemineltc.com:3333"

Helpful suggestions to common questions

My CGminer just opens and closes, whats going on?
If you are using a .bat file, put a "pause" in it without the quotes at the end of the file after the rest of the commands. Report back what it says. For those who have errors at the start before cgminer closes you can also use "timeout /t 30" where the 30 is the number of seconds you have to review the information.

My fans spin but nothing else is turning on.
You most likely have a power problem. Either your power supply isn't enough for you or you are using one that is segmented internally (they are called separate rails) and you are trying to run everything off of one rail. For example, you have 3 GPU's and two work but when you plug in the second nothing happens. Take the plug the third one was plugged into and try another plug on the power supply. Try a few more and it should work. Most commonly seen with the lepa 1600W PS's.

My driver crashed and now its at 15kh/s
I had this happen to me and I used a spare monitor to set up my rig. Ended up being that plugging in my monitor to one specific video card caused it to crash. If this is the case (where you have a monitor), try another GPU. Additionally, you should do a reboot if this problem occurs.

Do I have to reboot to fix a crashed driver that "recovered"?
No! You can also go to your programs under the control panel, select catalyst, and click on "repair". This will fix it without rebooting.

I'm getting really low has rates, what gives?
Some people (for reasons unknown to me why) need a dummy plug installed in their GPU's to get them to hash properly. You can create these with a few resistors and the dvi to vga adapter that came with your video card. Here is a great and easy website to show how to create these http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug
BEFORE YOU DO THAT, you can check if a monitor plugged into that video card helps at all. If it does, go make a few dummy plugs.

When running CGminer, its gives me a weird memory error saying i need to either decrease tc or increase lg (tc = thread concurrency lg = lookup gap)
Check out this thread for the answer https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=10882.0

GUIminer opens but it stays minimized and I can edit the info
Mouse over to the opened instance of GUIminer until you see a mini window appear, right click on that window and select maximize.

My wallet doesn't update correctly, but XXX shows it was sent/received
While I can't give exact directions with just this thread, I can start you off with searching the transaction number here and posting it if you make a thread http://block-explorer.com/

How do I increase my hash rate?
First, go here and check out your card and see what settings people use if they are listed. It's a good place to start https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison
Second, do some research yourself on the forums! There are a ton of threads of people looking for answers to this question that have already been answered. Use the search button at the upper right corner of the forums screen!
Third remember this, your hash rate is dependent on a few variables. Power limit, core clock, memory clock, thread concurrency, and intensity (I think thats all of them). For me, I found a thread that listed a good mem clock, core clock, and power limit and messed around with thread concurrency (tc) and intensity (i). Your intensity is just as it sounds, its how intense your worker (aka video card) is working. The thread concurrency is based on a multiple of how many shaders your card has (see next question on how to find out your shader info).
I listed my tc as 10.5 times my shaders, meaning its at 13440, but you have to mess around with these and find out which works best for you!

How do I find out my shaders information?
There is a nice program called GPU-Z that can tell you that information plus a ton of other stuff. Here is the link
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I have 2 cards and they hash at 700, I install a third and the hash drops on one of them by 100 and the temp goes up
You most likely have a heat problem (lack of venting/cooling). One of the cards is blowing hot air on the others and preventing them from cooling effectively. When your video cards hit a certain temperature, they start to go into a "throttle" mode and reduce their own settings in order to keep the GPU from burning up or to keep your target temp the same amount. You can try removing your temp related settings in your config or batch file, but this is only a temporary solution. Ultimately you need to cool you cards better, try a house box fan or spread your cards out better in your rig. This is why a lot of people use milk cartons to build their cases, lots of hole for hot air to vent out of.

How do I insert code into my post?
Directly above and to the right of all the smileys there is a "insert code" button that looks like a hash tag or pound button. Click that and you can insert code as if it was written. This will help us troubleshoot your issues if we can see directly how your code is set up.

I'm having a problem, I have 2 XXX cards crossfired and....
Stop right there, mining doesn't require crossfired cards and you may be having issues because of this. Disconnect your crossfire cable and remove any settings enabling crossfire.

I keep getting "failed to connect to pool".
Double and triple check both your settings in your config or batch file, and make sure that lines up with the workers you set up on your pools. Also there seems to be some sort of bug lbr ran into where x86 versions of windows (32 bit) wont connect unless using cgminer 3.3.1 version.

Can I mine on my laptop?
You could, but it isnt worth it. Plus you might kill you laptop prematurely.

GCminer conf and bat files
This is where most people get tripped up on, and ill try explain the difference.

First understand that there are 2 ways to set up your CGminer, either with a batch file or with the config file that comes with it.If you run the .exe directly that comes with CGminer, it will take the info from the config file (.conf). You can however also use a batch file separately, that can also call the config file or not.

The batch file will use either a single or double dash to execute commands "-" and "--". The config file does not need these but instead uses quotation marks and separates the commands with comma's. I'm a learner by example, so I will post some sample code here (your settings will be different, please dont copy and paste)

A sample config file (take note of the pool information, this is done differently than the batch file)

Code: [Select]
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "http://usa-1.liteguardian.com:3335",
"user" : "YOUR WORKER",
"pass" : "YOUR PASSWORD"
},
{
"url" : "http://url2:8344",
"user" : "user2",
"pass" : "pass2"
},
{
"url" : "http://url3:8332",
"user" : "user3",
"pass" : "pass3"
}
],

"intensity" : "15",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"thread-concurrency" : "6720",
"api-listen" : true,
"api-network" : true,
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"failover-only" : true,
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"hotplug" : "5",
"gpu-fan" : "100",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "30",
"scrypt" : true,
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

Here is a sample batch file

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u xxx -p xxx --auto-fan --thread-concurrency 24000 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1155 --gpu-memclock 1250 --gpu-powertune 20 -w 256 -I 20 -g 1

CGminer error's and error codes

error -5 enqueueing kernel onto command queue. <clEnqueueNDRangeKernal>
GPU 0 failure, diabling!
Thread 0 being disabled

Open up a command prompt and type in the following "setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100". You can also add this to your batch file as shown above in the sample batch file. Essentially your tc setting is too high, the more tc the more GPU memory you use. This setting allows you to use all of your GPU mem. If this still doesn't fix the issue, lower your tc.

Error -4: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue. (clEnqueu NDRangeKernel)
This is telling you that your system RAM is not enough to do what it needs to do (which is mine!). Normally 4GB of RAM is enough for your system, but if you get 4-6 high end cards (7990's or 290x's), you are going to need more system RAM in order to mine at full potential. A quick get around to this may be to lower your tc until you can get more RAM (not tested yet because I haven't had this issue, but it should work). As an FYI, one of my rigs is 4 270x's running win 7 64 bit, so up to that point 4GB I can verify works well no problem.

Temp displays 511 and cgminer is acting weird
The most likely cause of this is because of power. Check your PSU with a killawatt to make sure it can deliver all power that is needed for your system. Or swap the PSU with another laying around. This issue is not yet fully understood yet and there have been unconfirmed reports that it can also be caused by a bad RAM stick or even drivers (although power would be the first thing I would check).

BAMT
Full disclosure, I do not know BAMT. This helpful hint was submitted by Sy (thanks!)

If cgminer isnt starting on bamt / smos you can

tail /var/log/messages

and it will give you at least a hint on what to google...

Setting up 6 GPU's in your windows system

Big thanks to R_morgan and lbr for putting in the leg work to get this in a guide format! Note I haven't done these steps myself personally, so dont ask me for help :P.

From this thread https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=14712.0

An explanation of HW errors and how certain settings interact with one another.

HW errors I believe are caused by memory errors either internal to the graphics card or the interaction between the graphics card and your system RAM. The name HW error is a misnomer. In order to avoid these errors, you need to increase your TC.

However when you increase your TC, you need to make sure you have enough system RAM to support it. In addition, you can also make sure you allocate all %100 of the (I believe) GPU mem by using the setting "setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100" (which can be place inside your batch file as the first command/line).

If that doesn't solve your issue, you need to get more system RAM or dial back your TC.

Additional notes

Posting this from lbr (GREAT breakdown man!) Cleaning up your drivers the correct way! https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11001.msg79830#msg79830

Not all GPU's are made the same, even its its the exact same brand/model. You may see up to 15kh/s difference between GPU's. Electronic devices have tolerances and they all have slight differences.

Good thread here for some windows related settings that can very slightly increase your hash rate. https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11426.0

Read post number 7 for an explanation of how power efficiency works in your power supply unit and what it really means. https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11202.msg82226#msg82226

Good information here to disable some of the windows features that may cause your display driver to crash http://voices.yahoo.com/how-optimize-windows-7-5485323.html

Newer beta ver of MSI afterburner lets you undervolt on cards that are currently voltage locked https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11327.0 No longer works for me

Second post here describes how to disable all graphical features for win 7 (will look like crap, but should help keep your cards from crashing) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-7-automatically-switching-to-basic-non/7f4917ff-135d-40e4-866b-ac760642763f

People on here spend a lot of time helping others fix their mining rigs. Don't be cheap, you should tip your helpers if they are helping you. In turn if this guide has helped you please donate. Thanks all!  :)

Last note: I now offer services to help fix your miners and get them running, see my sig for details!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:10:28 AM by TheMage »

Offline t0n

Re: Read this before asking for help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
Thank you for the post! I would really appriciate if there was some way you could see some report/log what is causing issues with your mining. I dont believe there is anything like this in BAMT - cgminer just says card dead and thats it. Its up to you to figure out if its HW/SW issue and then what exactly. A log with error messages would help create a knowledge database.

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »
Thank you for the post! I would really appriciate if there was some way you could see some report/log what is causing issues with your mining. I dont believe there is anything like this in BAMT - cgminer just says card dead and thats it. Its up to you to figure out if its HW/SW issue and then what exactly. A log with error messages would help create a knowledge database.

You're welcome! :)

I'd say CGminer has a decent amount of error messages, at least enough to get people started.

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:42:10 AM »
Posting this from lbr (GREAT breakdown man!)

Cleaning up your drivers:

EDIT: Removed content and linked main thread in the top posting here. lbr said he would update thread as time went on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:42:14 AM by TheMage »

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
Updated quite a few things
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:39:53 AM by TheMage »

Offline yerg

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:44:44 PM »
Small addition about "pause" at the end in the *.bat file in order to review errors. I had a problem when this doesn't work ether (w7pro-64, dedicated miner). What actually works is adding a "timeout /t 30" at the end. You can tweak a number in order to see cgminer screen longer if needed. That was the only way I was able to review and troubleshoot cgminer output.   

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:43:59 AM »
Small addition about "pause" at the end in the *.bat file in order to review errors. I had a problem when this doesn't work ether (w7pro-64, dedicated miner). What actually works is adding a "timeout /t 30" at the end. You can tweak a number in order to see cgminer screen longer if needed. That was the only way I was able to review and troubleshoot cgminer output.

Added, thanks! :)

Offline Sy

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:49:02 AM »
tail /var/log/messages

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
tail /var/log/messages

Added  ;)

Offline bigtoe

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
I have read countless threads for noobs and experienced miners. I can't seem to figure this out.
Running 2 AMD HD 7950 3G on ASRock 970 ex4. Connected w/ ethernet cable. I am trying to run BAMt 1.3 with the BAMT control function in the menu.
The cgminer.conf file has a number of LTC pools already in there and when I run the miner it connects to them and they work, when I try to change out for my pools it doesn't but I dont get any error messages. The machine just sits idle. I have aslo tried running directly from the terminal with no luck. Downloaded from here: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2924.0

To be clear i have tried dozens and dozens of combinations using just my worker name, using http instead of stratum, i've tried on dogehouse and dogechain, I also have added the url to my "pools" file with no success. As soon as i add a LTC pool in the cgminer.conf it will connect to that and run the miner at about 1100-1200 hash, even if that pool is in the file with my dogecoin pool.

My conf:
{
"pools" : [
   {
      "url" : "stratum+tcp://stratum2.dogchain.info:3333",
      "user" : "funk.funk",
      "pass" : "mypassword"
   },

]
"temp-cutoff" : "84",
"temp-overheat" : "81",
"temp-target" : "77",
"intensity" : "20",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "40960",
"shaders" : "0",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"gpu-engine" : "0",
"gpu-memclock" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",
"log" : "5",
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »
Hi Bigtoe,

Can you please create a seperate thread about your issues? Thanks :)

Offline nanobot

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
I stumbled on something by accident when I had the same problem that worked for me. Instead of adding pause at the end of you bat file place your cursor at the end of the bat file, hit "enter" and type in pause where the cursor is flashing now. Don't know why but it worked every time for me.

Offline onlyabill

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Great guide / great job!

:-X (minor typo, heading "GCminer conf and bat files" should be CGminer...)

Offline manoflaw

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »
Hi,

I have read Everything before  ask.

I m new on litecoin mining.

I run HD 7730
and my CGminer has run to. and have AVG 200 Mh/s I user CGminer Version 3.7.2

I have Connected On Pool, But why Always rejected after find new block?

this my cgminer.conf

"auto-gpu" : true,
"no-restart" : true,
"blake256" : true,
"no-submit-stale": true,
"api-listen" : true,
"failover-only" : true,
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",