Author Topic: Up to $120 bounties for answering altcoin mining questions  (Read 916 times)

Offline rdnkjdi

Up to $120 bounties for answering altcoin mining questions
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:50:51 AM »
I'm thinking about sinking some major money into mining.  Probably $15,000 to $20,000.  Not all up front but sliding into it pretty quickly.

I've got about three rigs up and running with ethereum but I have several issues I want input on.  I am setting aside a $40 bounty for the three top answers ($20 for the top, two $10 for the runner ups) paid in bitcoins.  I will be posting this in several places.

If there is a REALLY good answer I will offer an additional $80 (total of $100) for the top answer.  This is my research that may save me from making a big mistake. 

I live in the Midwest with temperature that hits 100f  / 38c for 3 to 4 consecutive months a year.  I want to run this operation in my garage.

Cooling.  This is by far my biggest concern.  I live in the Midwest with three months of 100f  / 38c per year.  I've dealt with this before with litecoin.  I don't want to have to air condition.  In my previous experience fans aren't adequate. 

Will this gpu be able to stay cool at the temps I've mentioned without air conditioning?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131676

If not … does anyone have experience using dialetric fluid / oil to submersible the cards in?  I'm going to have to cool the oil somehow right?  Is there a book way to do this?  (Drop sealed containers of ice in the vat, pump it thru an oil radiator?

Hardware.  As linked above I'm leaning towards the 390X to try to retain value a year from now.  I'm thinking of using this motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-H81-PRO-BTC/dp/B00HEUIS2G

USB risers.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powered-PCI-E-Express-1X-To-16X-Extender-Riser-Card-With-60CM-USB-3-0-Cable-/301105921855?hash=item461b4fbf3f:g:oGMAAMXQuTNTMSBV 

Mining.  Has anyone developed a proprietary ether miner they are selling?  Has vertcoin or monero mining stayed profitable with a .09 kw electric rate between the litecoin dropout and today if you are able to get a good cooling (non ac) system in place?

Power.  I'm leaning towards this as my PSU.  http://holybitcoin.com/product/dps-2000bb-breakout-adapter-board/ (I know I'll have to install a fan for the PSU).  I'm fairly comfortable with the electric side of things until it gets to the PSU  (I understand amps, volts, watts, and required wire gauges.  Any warnings on running server PSUs?

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
Re: Up to $120 bounties for answering altcoin mining questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:29:31 AM »
That mobo will do fine, but I'd suggest a higher end CPU for ETH. I've seen several people saying they got CPU limited using a cheapo CPU when mining ETH.

From brief calculations you are about to create 10 or so mining rigs. For PSU I always recommend EVGA, but server type PSU's work with a bit more setup hassle.

For cooling, mineral oil works well, really well if used in conjunction with a ground-loop. This is simply a pipe buried in the ground that circulates water through it. Underground the temp is always ~55F. This 55ish degree water is circulated continuously using a cheap pump and cools the mineral oil res. The mineral oil, now chilled, circulates through your rigs. This setup is reasonably cheap but you need to figure out your thermal load before designing the loop, and consider how much space you have. A horizontal loop is only a foot or two deep, but trenches up a lot of yard getting it set up. A vertical loop requires a deeper vertical hole, but tears up less yard.....and is generally more expensive. You can also cool your PSU's in oil.

Cons: It is a fat burping bitch to clean anything submerged in the oil at a later date. It can be done, but isn't fun, requires chemicals, and takes days.

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:07:06 AM »
I live in Texas and cooling is my biggest concern also.  While this is a Litecoin forum and not an ETH forum I am interested.  I posted a similar message on ETH and did not get any useful responses.  It seemed like all the ETH miners have only been mining through the winter.

Cooling.  This is by far my biggest concern.  I live in the Midwest with three months of 100f  / 38c per year.
This is my biggest concern also.   When mining Litecoin I put my 3 rigs in the garage, but we keep the garage door closed and I eventually shut them down due to overheating.  I was thinking about cutting an opening in the wall and setting up a fan such that the hot air went outside.

I've dealt with this before with litecoin. 
If you have dealt with this with Litecoin, then you know what works for you.  ETH mining will be the same as LTC mining as far as GPU heat.  Please let others know your experience.

I don't want to have to air condition. 
I agree it is not cost effective to air condition GPU mining rigs.

In my previous experience fans aren't adequate. 
What did you find was effective?  My experience is fans will work, but the GPU will occasionally shut down.

Will this gpu be able to stay cool at the temps I've mentioned without air conditioning?
My experience is that fans will work.  What is your experience.

If not … does anyone have experience using dialetric fluid / oil to submersible the cards in?  I'm going to have to cool the oil somehow right?  Is there a book way to do this?  (Drop sealed containers of ice in the vat, pump it thru an oil radiator?
I have never used oil cooling.

It would be helpful if you also posted what you have tried and what the results were. 

Offline maxumark

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 04:41:22 AM »
I also live in the Midwest, and ran some Titans in a garage all summer with no air conditioning and no mineral oil. I did it with a 5500 CFM attic fan. Cut intake vents on the north side about a foot off the ground. built a enclosure (2x4s and plastic) so I could filter (8 16x20 filters mounted into a access door) the intake air before the miners, then there is a plane (board or wall) in the middle of the enclosure  to separate the intake side and exhaust. and then the attic fan mounted in the ceiling running on low when its not to hot, and high when its hot. during the winter I turned off the attic fan and used 3 box fans to pull the heat into to garage and never turned on the gas meter this winter.

If I get any of the bounty and you want pictures pm me. ;D

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
Shut your miners down for the summer or at least the handful of 90+ days or find a way to move large volumes of air directly over the miners via something like an attic fan that was prior mentioned. Build an enclosure that assures the exhaust fan is pulling air directly over your cards/rigs. Attempting to exhaust the entire room will be ineffective.

Regardless its unlikely you'll remain profitable when mining under these conditions considering the setup expenses/modifications you'll incur.

Run the numbers before you do anything, assume worst case scenario.

If it's an expensive hobby then blow the money and have some fun.  ;)