Author Topic: KNC TItan cube not starting  (Read 1141 times)

Offline wolverine5pl

KNC TItan cube not starting
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:43:29 PM »
I recently bought titan on eBay.  5 cubes.  One cube tho got damaged Durring transport.  Heatsink lose (screw holding it got lose)  which i think is common.  I managed to put it back with some DIY.  Was hashing fine.  Then unplugged it and now its dead and on top of it psu shuts down when connected to that cube.  Any idea why? How to fix it?

Offline jstefanop

Re: KNC TItan cube not starting
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:38 PM »
I recently bought titan on eBay.  5 cubes.  One cube tho got damaged Durring transport.  Heatsink lose (screw holding it got lose)  which i think is common.  I managed to put it back with some DIY.  Was hashing fine.  Then unplugged it and now its dead and on top of it psu shuts down when connected to that cube.  Any idea why? How to fix it?

Sounds like a short...heatsink most likely bumped into something when it came loose and damaged the PCB. Could be anything and no way to tell without visually inspecting the PCB for damage.

Offline wolverine5pl

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
Pictures of board:

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 05:57:51 AM »
Pictures of board:

yeah not sure if it should be brown like that underneath

but me I had that issue 'kinda' like that as well.....I move the ribbons back to the way they were (orig when this cube was with the others moved back from other titan)

to your point ..i 'matched' the orig ports when i took the cube off before (switched ribbons back) and viola found the cube..not sure if it applies exactly....seemed

weird in that all ports were not filled so kinda can't figure out why it had issues no other cube was involved in between to mess this up

but anyway in MY case it was NOT the cube that was lost ...the frigging titan card looked 'dead' ie no power at all

ACK! tried 3 times yanked the cube and she pop'd back to life....went wtf ...switched th port back to the prev port it was on (again just to do something) and

the cube came back for the titans usual dance of lets mess with Searing and go ape sh*t fail on a bunch of stuff on power down from GUI reboots for the next hour or so

then we will settle down and work (gets old I tell ya) :(

but the controller completely dead no lights freaked me the frack out!!!!

thus my view my Titans hate my ass with a vengeance usually reserved for cheating bi-polar girlfriends (true i tell you)

with my titans..it is always a 'dog and pony' show...i move cube..hell I mod the speed on a cube and do a cold re-start (reboots NEVER work) and it is always
working dies go poof...cubes disappear etc etc...takes me like 7 tries and eventually I get it back up..but damn it gets old fast never more then 1 1/4 never less
then 1/2 hour of bounce bounce the titans back up :(

(heart in throat)

so yeah just did this tonight before here at work...got  1 fully working titan cube and 1 titan cube with only 1 die working on monday...  I had to prepare I had moved the cube because my Corsair 1200i 14 months running 3 cubes 1/2 that time...was fading....even could not handle 2 cubes) thus corsair RMA...so I moved stuff around..now I can move it back with new corsair (orig cables) plug and play I got to fix this ....and thus the dog an pony show

6 port unit thou that may have something to do with it

by the by I told Corsair the truth on my PSU used 24/7 for 14 months (what else am I gonna say) and figured they would blow me off on the 'normal wear and
tear not covered) ..not proper computer equip etc...they said sure an the new corsair (or refurb'd likely) shows up Feb 19th

So just saying I was pretty impressed in that they had an 'out' by saying it was not 'legit' computer equipment and/or 14 months of 24/7 was normal wear and
tear and not covered..it may have helped some in that I replaced the psu but kept the old cables so could prove it was a psu issue..they did require that i send
the new cables back (dang) from my new emergency replacement unit I had just got ...another corsair 1200i platinum etc...to replace the ones I did not want to re-wire...but hey an unexpected win for me :) anyway something to keep in mind they work (or have)
just fine with 3 fully working cubes to a corsair 1200i platinum FYI

but man I really really hate touching these Titans ...always drama always trying to 'brick themselves' they really do 'long to be doorstops' imho  (knc products evil don't ya know) :)

anyway impressed as all hell with Corsair RMA process to say the least again just an FYI.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:10:38 AM by Searing »

Offline lbr

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:59:10 PM »

Is it lead in the bottom right corner? And all over the bottom.
If so - time to wash the PCB.

And check if contact is soldered properly - to the left of the right-most screw hole.

And check resistance between main chip(and all over the pcb) and ground, compare to working PCB.

Offline wolverine5pl

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »

Is it lead in the bottom right corner? And all over the bottom.
If so - time to wash the PCB.

And check if contact is soldered properly - to the left of the right-most screw hole.

And check resistance between main chip(and all over the pcb) and ground, compare to working PCB.
no its not lead. its left overs from thermal paste.
i'm worried i didnt put thermal paste correctly when i tried to fix it and this cause to burn processor hence how it looks like on the back:( but it still shoudlt cause PSU to shut down does it?

Offline lbr

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:21:32 PM »
..burn processor hence how it looks like on the back:( but it still shoudlt cause PSU to shut down does it?

It is possible.

Offline lightfoot

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 03:40:49 AM »
Fixed and on its' way back to you. As discussed over on BTC the top two dies got very hot, then one of them shorted and blew out power supply 7. Cleared the short, tested the board, 3/4 of the dies are back to running full steam.

Mine away!