Author Topic: Fund Raising Challenge  (Read 2562 times)

Offline shyliar

Fund Raising Challenge
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »
I donated 100 coins to Core today. If someone or multiple people match that by the end of the February I'll donate another 100.

Last year approximately 125 coins total were donated.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=15561.0

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
Re: Fund Raising Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:29:43 AM »
I donated 100 coins to Core today. If someone or multiple people match that by the end of the February I'll donate another 100.

Nice of you to donate I guess, but why not donate to people trying to improve LTC? The guys from ProHashing are trying their best to avoid BTC mistakes and are writing code themselves to further LTC's viability while Charlie sits on his ass doing nothing. He has all but abandoned LTC and people still want his approval. *EPIC facepalm*

Offline shyliar

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:57:48 AM »

Nice of you to donate I guess, but why not donate to people trying to improve LTC? The guys from ProHashing are trying their best to avoid BTC mistakes and are writing code themselves to further LTC's viability while Charlie sits on his ass doing nothing. He has all but abandoned LTC and people still want his approval. *EPIC facepalm*

I do enjoy reading Prohashings efforts and salute him for them. It's also my understanding that he intends to submit code he's worked on to Core developers. I have no doubt that the entire community intends to avoid BTC mistakes.

With the capacity of the litecoin network able to handle four times as many transactions in a ten minute period as BTC and anti-spam no doubt LTC developers do have time to get it right. When I read how few coins were donated to the developers last year by individuals such as you and me, I felt somewhat disgusted by the communities lack of generosity. This is why I donated and not some need for approval as you imply.

Since you have a strong opinion about this feel free to match my donation and give it to Prohashing. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:02:23 AM »

I do enjoy reading Prohashings efforts and salute him for them. It's also my understanding that he intends to submit code he's worked on to Core developers. I have no doubt that the entire community intends to avoid BTC mistakes.

With the capacity of the litecoin network able to handle four times as many transactions in a ten minute period as BTC and anti-spam no doubt LTC developers do have time to get it right. When I read how few coins were donated to the developers last year by individuals such as you and me, I felt somewhat disgusted by the communities lack of generosity. This is why I donated and not some need for approval as you imply.

Since you have a strong opinion about this feel free to match my donation and give it to Prohashing. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Your donation did not go to people trying to advance LTC, it went to the people sitting on their asses doing nothing. Coblee doesn't even bother anymore, but you want to throw more coins to him......WTF! That is like me giving a $10 donation to Bill Gates and he doesn't mess with Windows anymore :| Stop tipping people for what they DID, tip the people that are currently doing something.

Offline shyliar

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:07:58 AM »
We'll disagree then not any point in continuing the conversation.

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
We'll disagree then not any point in continuing the conversation.
Don't you see your "donation" is totally wasted on people not wanting to change anything? They think they already got it right, so did the BTC core devs, and now that scene is totally screwed.

I truly appreciate the effort bro, I'm saying you should rethink where your donation goes. I don't care if it is to Prohashing or not, but at least send it to someone that is trying to make progress. Do you see any progress coming from the current LTC core devs? I don't mean minor bugs fixes, I mean long term code to expand the LTC network.

Offline Bossman

• Hardcore Member
  • In Coblee we trust
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
Prohashing is wasting his time litecoin will not be going to bip101, coblee already mentioned it here https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/41xtxb/the_purpose_of_the_hard_transaction_limit/cz6xagc

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »
Prohashing is wasting his time litecoin will not be going to bip101, coblee already mentioned it here https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/41xtxb/the_purpose_of_the_hard_transaction_limit/cz6xagc

Interesting discussions.

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:00:37 AM »
Fund raising for development has always been an issue with cryptocurrencies. Bitshares and (in beta) Decred have interesting solutions to that problem. Compare Bitshares' features and wallet/GUI to Litecoin, and you will quickly see the difference self-funding cryptocurrency development can make. Although, I have recently came to the conclusion that the network effect will carry Litecoin for some time. I still believe innovation helps a lot in the way speculators value cryptocurrencies (for good reason.)

I'll try not to shill too much for other cryptocurrencies around here (I currently have a very diverse portfolio), but this has always been one of Litecoin's (and most cryptocurrencies) problems. I prefer to give the cryptocurrency communities that I am invested in a dose of reality in hopes that it inspires evolution of the cryptocurrency. I am really hard on my more "long-term" pick of Bitshares... I am pretty sure their whole community hates me by now. I think you guys found out when I left this community for a while I am good at giving tough love. Unfortunately, it has not inspired any change around here but I still hope I may eventually have some effect.

An echo chamber of "we're going to be rich" is boring and useless to me. Debate and discussion is the only way the technology will evolve, because eventually consensus on certain matters will be reached within certain cryptocurrency communities and in turn the cryptocurrency will evolve.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:16:42 AM by CoinHoarder »

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 02:42:33 AM »
Your donation did not go to people trying to advance LTC, it went to the people sitting on their asses doing nothing. Coblee doesn't even bother anymore, but you want to throw more coins to him......WTF! That is like me giving a $10 donation to Bill Gates and he doesn't mess with Windows anymore :| Stop tipping people for what they DID, tip the people that are currently doing something.
[/quote]

Agree 100%.  This is the big problem.  I don't think anyone on the Dev Team is doing anything either.  IMO LTC essentially has been abandoned by the Dev's and there is not being supported any longer. 

Offline slsdhl

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 03:47:43 PM »

Agree 100%.  This is the big problem.  I don't think anyone on the Dev Team is doing anything either.  IMO LTC essentially has been abandoned by the Dev's and there is not being supported any longer.

What are you talking about??

https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/releases
https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/3z2ta1/ama_official_litecoin_developers_and_litecoin/

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »
I wasn't clear.  I am talking about a lack of participation and communication on Litecointalk the official forum of the Litecoin Association.  Reddit and GitHub are not Litecointalk.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=19434.0

Offline shyliar

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
Talk about hijacking a thread.

Seems to me as an open source project anyone can contribute ideas to core at anytime. If they demonstrate the appropriate coding skills even become an active member of the team. Knowing I lack the appropriate skills I intend to support team members (I stopped coding when C++ 2.0 was released). The majority of the community lack those skills. The challenge is intended so they can still be an active member by providing support.

The fact is because of the teams efforts I have made money. So have many others.

So far a single contributor has risen to the challenge. I salute that individual and look forward to others willing to contribute to the Litecoin effort.

Offline losh11

• Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin is Platinum Isotope 190 to Bitcoin's Gold
    • Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 03:33:23 AM »
This thread is full of shit.

The developers are working on a solution, that seems to be a better solution than BIP101. I believe that even XT just went with Gavin's 2MB BIP proposal (for now).

A paper is being written, which details the implementation. Let me just tell you this, if you are doing something as big as this, where you change on of the core parts of a system, you could seriously screw it up. We may not know now, but it the future could be an evident issue. That's why everything is being done somewhat slowly.

For some reason, people here seem to be attacking some proposals because they don't agree. For example, SegWit. SegWit's primary purpose is to fix malleability issues caused by txs signatures; whilst it does decrease the size of individual txs.

I don't wish to seem like I'm attacking ProHashing, but I believe that he is not really a developer. Whilst his efforts are appreciated, in end, it is the mining pools who decide on what to do.

The core devs mostly pay for themselves out of their own pockets, and funding is important if we wish to have an active dev team.

Offline shyliar

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 06:02:15 AM »
Thank you losh11

It's funny how some people will dismiss someone's opinion when they hold a BSc and a MSc in Electrical and Computer Science from MIT, as well as years of experience in cryptocurrency and years of experience in industry just because they think another idea sounds better. I look forward to future announcements from the developers and this hijacked thread is intended to support the effort.