Author Topic: KnCMiner Titan Submerged Liquid Cooling?  (Read 814 times)

Offline bt2084

KnCMiner Titan Submerged Liquid Cooling?
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:10:46 AM »
Simple question: anyone moved their Titan to a mineral oil or 3M Novec 7100 or similar liquid complete immersion cooling system?

I'm looking for ways to keep the power connectors from melting as well as keep the whole Titan board optimally cooled even at 325 MHz.

Any thoughts?

This is the basic idea:
3m.com/immersioncooling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRoSYA0yoDo

Offline Mattzees

Offline Mattzees

Re: KnCMiner Titan Submerged Liquid Cooling?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »
Let me add that I'm not trying to crap all over your idea.  I think it's very neat.  I looked into liquid cooling a while ago, and mineral oil is cheap, but not very appealing.  Two-phase cooling (using Novec or something similar) would be great, but very expensive.  As it is, only  small amount of Titan owners are getting ROI.  Investing another $300-$400 per cube doesn't make financial sense.  The geek factor is high, but the so is the cost.

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »
Let me add that I'm not trying to crap all over your idea.  I think it's very neat.  I looked into liquid cooling a while ago, and mineral oil is cheap, but not very appealing.  Two-phase cooling (using Novec or something similar) would be great, but very expensive.  As it is, only  small amount of Titan owners are getting ROI.  Investing another $300-$400 per cube doesn't make financial sense.  The geek factor is high, but the so is the cost.

Sad but extremely true. Liquid cooled systems are not trivial to design, implement, or maintain.

Best shot at ROI is heat offset during cooler months in your region.  ;)

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »
Winter mining is the best.  Can make a good return during winter.

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
Winter mining is the best.  Can make a good return during winter.

I wouldn't call it a "good return" but I'm augmenting my regular home heat by running the Titan.

Offline lightfoot

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 03:46:24 AM »
Hm. I would recommend running the Titan at 60mh, not 80. The plugs blow up when you run them over 200w, or when you plug and unplug with the power supply on. Reason being the capacitors on the board pull power hard which causes spark which causes dead spot on the pins. Then they start having resistance, then they get warm.....

I can fix the plugs, it requires a serious amount of pre-heating of the board on a pre-heater, then 400c plus alloying in Pb solder. Be gentle, if you break the vias it is a serious bitch on wheels to run a bypass power line. :-)