Author Topic: Official FutureBit MoonLander USB Scrypt Stick Software and Support Discussion  (Read 17688 times)

Offline jstefanop

Great answers guys. My eye sight is a bit lacking and I was afraid to damage something, so I preferred double checking about the screwdriver to use.

thanks for the explanation jstefanop, I am using windows (don't ask, long story) to run my miners and I have the problem of changing com ports allocations at every reboot. Is there a way to send commands to individual sticks (or create several instances of bfminer with different pools of sticks) based on their serial numbers for instance, so as to be independent from the com port numbers that Windows is using?

Thanks in advance,

Claude

Unfortunately you can't associate serial numbers with bfgminer currently, it works strictly off COM port numbers. Im pretty sure what you CAN do is force windows to load a com port to a particular device serial number though. I came across some scripts that do it, and I know its definitely possible under linux as well. You could try changing the COM port under settings in device manager. I think this sometimes forces the COM port number to stay the same.

Offline r00tdude

Pardon me for putting out the question again, I really can't figure out how to select individual sticks in order to have different sticks mine to different pools, or set their frequencies to different levels.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, is a T5 screwdriver what is needed to tune the voltage without risk of damaging the poti?

Thanks in advance.

Dosent matter what you turn it with (i sometimes just use my finger nail :P ) the important thing is not to turn it past its maximum or minimum setting (the whole range is within 180 degrees), otherwise you risk breaking the pot. There is no built in "stop" so if you keep turning it will eventually break.

You can't mine different sticks with different pools with a single bfgminer instance. What you need to do is specify which stick you want run per instance (you can easily do this by just making two .bat or script start-up files), and just run a separate instance per pool.

You specify which stick you need to figure out the COM ports the sticks are connected too then simply replace -S MLD:all with the actual com ports.

For example in linux it would look something like this:

Code: [Select]
./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u jstefanop.1 -p 1,d=16 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB0 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB1 --set MLD:clock=144

for windows your .bat file will look like this:

bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u jstefanop.1 -p 1,d=16 -S MLD:\\.\COM0 S MLD:\\.\COM1  --set MLD:clock=144
and you just keep simply adding the -S MLD:\\.\COMx argument for each miner you want to add.

If you want to specify frequencies for each individual miners you can point which frequency gets set to which miner by changing the global --set MLD:clock=144
to --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=320  (note I haven't really tested if you can keep the global option and lets say just set one stick to a different frequency...if you do it this way you might have to specify frequencies for each miner port individually even if some of them are the same, since the global option might override individual frequencies).

So if you have two sticks and want two different frequencies your options might look like this:

./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u jstefanop.1 -p 1,d=16 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB0 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB1 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=320 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB1:clock=304

This is great info - can you please update the OP with it so we know where to find it?

Offline r00tdude

For those of you doing your tuning - it'd be helpful to all of us to post your findings...

Mine -

CoreV = ~.845vDC
Freq = 288
Results = ~.810MH

Sicks are cool and stable.

Of course the CoreV is approximate because of the difficulty getting the pot turned to get an exact voltage - some are a few mv higher but that is a minimum. If anyone has successfully gone with a higher coreV and higher freq, I'd be interested to try something else. FWIW - HW errors are 1.8% over 24 hours with this setup. Yes, using the Superbpac hubs.

Offline jstefanop

snip

This is great info - can you please update the OP with it so we know where to find it?

Ive updated beginning of thread with FAQ section, and I'm posting answer there as they come up in the thread. BTW I have ordered parts for another 200 units and should have those ready to ship by end of the month.

Offline Twiki

Minera image with moonlander and gridseed support available from :-

http://unix.mm5aes.net/?p=minera-build-with-fururebit-moonlander-support

Image is just finishing it's upload. torrent should start ok.

DUDE. I get that you want some hash thrown your way, but clocking the sticks to 312 on boot is a poor way to do it. What if people didn't have fans on their sticks?

Anyway, I see what you did - instead of using the custom miner section, you just replaced the bfgminer binary and use the standard settings. Whatever works I suppose. Thanks

You're right, should have dialed it back before I packaged it, hadn't given a thought to ending up with free shares...  8)
I'll put a warning in the original post.....

what were the settings in that img? i might have overwritten something in the "Manual options" section.

Offline r00tdude

Minera image with moonlander and gridseed support available from :-

http://unix.mm5aes.net/?p=minera-build-with-fururebit-moonlander-support

Image is just finishing it's upload. torrent should start ok.

DUDE. I get that you want some hash thrown your way, but clocking the sticks to 312 on boot is a poor way to do it. What if people didn't have fans on their sticks?

Anyway, I see what you did - instead of using the custom miner section, you just replaced the bfgminer binary and use the standard settings. Whatever works I suppose. Thanks

You're right, should have dialed it back before I packaged it, hadn't given a thought to ending up with free shares...  8)
I'll put a warning in the original post.....

what were the settings in that img? i might have overwritten something in the "Manual options" section.

--scrypt -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=288

Offline kingcolex

312mhz is not even a valid frequency...either 304, or 320 will work. That will just default my driver to 104mhz.
Interesting, I'm currently running @ 312. I thought this was fine because it is a multiple of 8, but should be a multiple of 16 (between 200 and 400 mhz) which it isn't.

However @312 works! It doesn't default to 104. Running at 0.90Mh/s

We've obviously hit on the same happy accident. Seemed to be the sweet spot on my setup. 900k's without error.

I've redone the image with the freq. set at 144 and removed my pool data to ease r00tdude's sensibilities.

New torrent here :-http://unix.mm5aes.net/moonminera.144.rar.torrent
I can't keep my sticks alive on this, no clue why. Using a good hub, they run for a bit (don't overheat) and then turn off like 8 minutes in.

Offline Ǫ̶̷̕͜Ź̛ḿ͜a͞͞͠͏ś̡͟͠͡t́͏é̴r

• Crypto is the future!
    • Coinbar
did anyone plug it in and had instantly some smoke comming out?

happened to me when i firstz pluged it in, pluged it out right away, now when i plug it in again its normal and green light showing? did it break?

Offline Twiki

happened to me when i firstz pluged it in, pluged it out right away, now when i plug it in again its normal and green light showing? did it break?

Are you sure that wasn't pot smoke bro?

lol :) wassssup!

• Crypto is the future!
    • Coinbar

hehe yeap :)

nmnm,just trying to get this work,,
getting this now :(
http://puu.sh/ncvAn/e1d5d4dd81.png

Offline r00tdude

Either unplug and re-plug the stick, or hit M and + and type 'all' and hit Enter.

• Crypto is the future!
    • Coinbar

Either unplug and re-plug the stick, or hit M and + and type 'all' and hit Enter.

done it  done it , restarted the pc, reinstalled drivers, tried 2 different pc's same result,
tried the M and + and typed all nothing happened....

it smoked from this area aprox if i saw right

maybe from the big IR3H thing, not rly sure since i didnt sit and watch it burn out but pluged out asap
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:30:18 PM by Ǫ̶̷̕͜Ź̛ḿ͜a͞͞͠͏ś̡͟͠͡t́͏é̴r »

Offline jstefanop

You do realize where you have your pot set is around 1.0v correct? Thats really high...if you had it hashing at full speed at that voltage without proper cooling you most likely fried it. These are not designed to "wing" voltage settings and hope for the best. Where did you have it plugged in when it went up in smoke?

• Crypto is the future!
    • Coinbar
You do realize where you have your pot set is around 1.0v correct? Thats really high...if you had it hashing at full speed at that voltage without proper cooling you most likely fried it. These are not designed to "wing" voltage settings and hope for the best. Where did you have it plugged in when it went up in smoke?
it wasnt hashing at all, i didnt even touch anything on it, not the pot not the other things,
I downloaded the driver  and bfgminer, installed the drivers, pluged the usb into the front USB 3 port of my pc and smoke instantly started comming out so i pulled it out again

It was as i took it out of the box, didnt mess with changing anything not even pool setup in the bfg

P.s.to be honest i read upon the pot just now after seeing u write about it
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:44:53 PM by Ǫ̶̷̕͜Ź̛ḿ͜a͞͞͠͏ś̡͟͠͡t́͏é̴r »

Offline jstefanop

hmm have no idea what happened then...do you have a volt meter to check what the output of the buck is? Sounds like the buck got fried somehow. Dosent make any sense though because if it was a bad part or something I would have caught it when I was testing it. Also does the stick actually show up in a COM port under windows?