Author Topic: Official FutureBit MoonLander USB Scrypt Stick Software and Support Discussion  (Read 21784 times)

Offline robo1955

• Grumpy Old Unix Engineer
    • Fire side chat for geeks
I'm having a similar problem - but the hub isn't the problem - almost certain. I've got one of those eyeboot hubs that can supply oodles of power... but can't even get one stick directly plugged into the PC's USB port to hash. It just creates USB devices over and over again. I did try to turn down the freq to 104 - didn't help.

The hub I used first (the DIPO) had a limit of 500mA as jstefanop told me. This hub also didn't work on Windows so that was explainable.

However, the weird thing is I tried several different hubs on a Raspberry Pi, USB 2.0 and 3.0, but they all have the same problem. The moonlanders are detected fine, but at the moment the mining starts, the hub gets a reset. Those hubs work fine on Windows.
So I was thinking maybe there is something weird with the linux version of bfgminer, or is it the Raspberry Pi?
What system did you use?

On the Raspberry Pi, I also tried the suggestion from robo1955: Putting the USB 3.0 hub behind a USB 2.0 hub, but it had the same result.
Other things I tried where forcing the Pi to use USB 1.1 standards and forcing the USB port to 1.1A... all without results.

Only have 2 to play with  so limited in testing. Have had these running attached directly to the usb port of Raspberry pi original and model 2 without issue using the settings from the setup page.

Running a minera build with jstefanop's bfgminer compiled on top but not under minera control on the original pi.
On the pi 2 I run Ubuntu mate again with bfgminer compiled locally.

I do have most success on an orange pi pc again running ubuntu mate with locally compiled bfgminer but only through a cheap unpowered hub that I plug one port into a 2.1 amp usb charger to power it.... (Have also removed the +ve lead from the usb cable going to the pi)

The above modded hub does work on the raspberry's but with a few resets. 

I do run bfgminer as root.......  :o

Offline tentious

So I've ran into an issue with 1 of the 10 that I received. One of them is overheating something fierce. If I plug in any of the 9 without loading a job, i.e. it's running idle, they pull anywhere from 0.08-0.12amps and .45 when active.

9 of the 10 usually pull only .08 idle:

This one out of the batch is pulling over .35-.45amp sitting idle and over .70amps when active/job loaded. I've tried adjusting the voltage, but it will only drop to .30-.35 idle and .65 when active. When active running at anything less than .70amp will result in hardware errors over 60%.

The one with the possible issue sitting idle:

What do you suggest I may be doing wrong here?

Offline jstefanop

Hmm could be a bad ASIC or solder job. Im assuming this is at the default 144mhz? How many active cores is that stick reporting? Add -D 2>log.txt at the end of the command line and check the file...there should be a line that says

[2016-02-02 17:10:08] futurebit: Identified 54 cores on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART

You could try setting just that stick's frequency a bit lower and pulling down voltage a bit. It should be fine as long as its not overheating though.

BTW what meter are you using...looks neat.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:51:45 PM by jstefanop »

Offline tentious

I'm thinking solder issue, the ASIC cores are reporting ok...

[2016-02-03 20:01:21] futurebit: Core clock set to 144 mhz
 [2016-02-03 20:01:22] futurebit: Identified 54 cores on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART

I've looked over the board but don't see any apparent bridged joints. The issue is I'll have to run this one completely separate as it pulls to much for my USB hub to support the other sticks.

BTW, this is the meter I'm using. It logs the amount of power in mAh sent through the meter and is really meant as a tool to see how much your travel batteries or your devices is really holding. It's a neat meter I've used for a number of things, including balancing out power on a USB hub. :)

http://www.amazon.com/PowerJive-Voltage-Multimeter-chargers-capacity/dp/B013FANC9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454551510&sr=8-1&keywords=powerjive

Offline kingcolex

Has minera been updated with these drivers ? Or do I need to do something else to get them working with my current Minera set up?

Offline surfguy72

Just for those who are tinkering's sake...

Using the below Hub, I was able to get 4 miners running at around a total of 4.1 MH.  However, the power supply to this started getting rather warm and needed ventilation.  No quite recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I'm exchanging this to a 60w hub so I can run all 5, and see what I can push.

Anyone got pools to recommend with these?  A few don't seem to recognize my difficulty settings and its making them act strange.

Offline jstefanop

Has minera been updated with these drivers ? Or do I need to do something else to get them working with my current Minera set up?

No I need to push the driver code to the main branch for minera to work out of the box...I want to fix any kinks in the driver code you guys discover while playing with them first, then ill ping luke and have him merge it to the main branch. All you need to do is just download either the binaries I have provided or compile it from my branch and just replace the default bfgminer folder (you might need to update some links/put in the custom command lines, but it should work). I think some guys around here have instructions on how to do it with a custom branch.

Offline jstefanop

Just for those who are tinkering's sake...

Using the below Hub, I was able to get 4 miners running at around a total of 4.1 MH.  However, the power supply to this started getting rather warm and needed ventilation.  No quite recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I'm exchanging this to a 60w hub so I can run all 5, and see what I can push.

Anyone got pools to recommend with these?  A few don't seem to recognize my difficulty settings and its making them act strange.

Nice! Make sure you have plenty of airflow over them at those speeds. Any pool should work as long as you can set diff to below ~500, anything over that the sticks will take forever to find a share and you will think that they are not working. Litecoinpool works awesome because you can set the diff directly in the password, other pools you will just have to ask them what their "GPU" port is (since these hash at the same speed as GPUs).

Offline jstefanop

So I had some time to investigate the hub issues with the pi / linux. The ANKER 7 port USB 3 hub I'm using has the VIA chipset, which apparently is not fully USB complaint and has some major firmware issues, and is the reason why it does not work with the pi (I'm assuming the hubs you guys are having issues with probably have the same chipset).

Main issue cause these is outline below (one of the pi developers) :

Quoting myself:
"USB1.1 devices plugged into a 3.0 hub on the Pi are not something a gpu firmware or driver change will fix."

Since then, I've confirmed that it is indeed a bug with the VIA chipset (by substituting a different USB3.0 hub chip).

The workaround is to purchase a USB3.0 hub that integrates silicon from a different chip vendor, or get VIA to admit their spec noncompliance (no prizes for guessing which will be easier). SMSC/Microchip based USB3.0 hub IP works with the OTG port on the Pi, I have yet to see any other vendor USB3.0 hub silicon in interoperability tests with the Pi.

The full read of the discussion is here, its quite interesting nerdy stuff https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/64

There is a proposed fix by adding the line
Code: [Select]
dwc_otg.speed=1 to /boot/cmdline.txt file of the pi's SD card. I have tried this and it indeed does recognize the sticks and starts hashing, but the USB bus quickly crashes afterwards and reboots the pi.

This fix *might" work for some hubs / other linux systems but I wouldn't hold my breath. This just shows you how cheap these hub manufactures are and they cut lots of corners. Of course these issues don't show up until they are stressed out by devices like high powered USB miners.

Its interesting though that this particular hub works fine with 5+ miners under Mac or Windows, so seems to be an issue isolated with the VIA chipset and Linux USB drivers. 

Offline Mr. Jinx

That is exactly the behavior I got with three different hubs.
Using dwc_otg.speed=1 it starts mining but will reset the usb hub every time. Without this setting it won't detect the moonlander at all.

The weird thing is that if I plugin a good old gridseed on the same hub with another version of bfgminer, it starts mining without a single problem.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:39:08 PM by Mr. Jinx »

Offline jstefanop

That is exactly the behavior I got with three different hubs.
Using dwc_otg.speed=1 it starts mining but will reset the usb hub every time. Without this setting it won't detect the moonlander at all.

The weird thing is that if I plugin a good old gridseed on the same hub with another version of bfgminer, it starts mining without a single problem.

Do any off your hubs work with just one stick? If it does you might try starting up with one stick, then manually adding each stick one by one afterwards. All you have to do is plug in the miner then go to device management (press M) and add device (press +) You then just input the com port of the stick you just plugged in prefixed by MLD: (so MLD:/dev/USB123 etc).

Could be that the hub is crashing with all the sticks starting at once, and that could fix it?

Offline Mr. Jinx

Nope, I am testing with one stick at a time with default voltage and 104 Mhz freq.
Error I am getting now:
cp210x ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_write_bulk_callback - nonzero urb status: -71

It is running fine on windows, so I think I will use this. The pi is very energy friendly on the other hand.

Offline jstefanop

So I think I finally found the "perfect hub." Thanks to whoever mentioned this one on one of the other threads, but it works awesome on all 3 systems including a RPi!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013OK10YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing is built like a tank...I tired to break it by running 4 sticks at 368mhz (don't try this unless you have a strong fan)...and they hummed along no problem (this was on a RPi too!)

Pretty sure it can easily handle all 7 ports with my sticks, unfortunately didn't have enough extension cables to try it.

Offline r00tdude

So I think I finally found the "perfect hub." Thanks to whoever mentioned this one on one of the other threads, but it works awesome on all 3 systems including a RPi!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013OK10YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing is built like a tank...I tired to break it by running 4 sticks at 368mhz (don't try this unless you have a strong fan)...and they hummed along no problem (this was on a RPi too!)

Pretty sure it can easily handle all 7 ports with my sticks, unfortunately didn't have enough extension cables to try it.

Thanks for posting this - I've been working on getting my sticks mining for over a week now (not 24/7 obviously) - using various hubs and what-not, and I'm hopeful that these hubs are the magic bullet I've been looking for. I'm able to get one stick mining directly connected to a Pi2 using Wheezy and the compiled source provided... but connecting any hub and trying to get even one running has been a nightmare. The two hubs I ordered should arrive tomorrow and I'll post an update shortly thereafter.

Offline tentious

I feel there is a problem with the linux drivers because the miners work perfectly when I have the miners connected to my Mac. Once I move the miners over to my linux box(not a Pi, Intel NUC), I can't get more than one Moonlander to function, when I plug in 1 by 1, eventually they start dying off, this doesn't happen on the Mac, I've ran continuously for 48+ hours with 6 connected at 800kH/s on the Mac. I'm using the Anker 10-port http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-SuperSpeed-Including-Charging/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454946966&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+10-port