Author Topic: Official FutureBit MoonLander USB Scrypt Stick Software and Support Discussion  (Read 26216 times)

Offline Mr. Jinx

Nice!
I have 7 units running on a 3.0 hub right now. With default voltage and at 120mhz they get very hot. You can barely touch the heatsink.
Is this ok or should they be extra cooled with a fan?

Another thing is rhat I cannot get various hub running on a raspberry pi. All those hubs fail in combination with the moonlanders. Right now I am running from my normal pc, but I dont want my pc running 24h.

Offline jstefanop

Nice!
I have 7 units running on a 3.0 hub right now. With default voltage and at 120mhz they get very hot. You can barely touch the heatsink.

Another thing is rhat I cannot get various hub running on a raspberry pi. All those hubs fail in combination with the moonlanders. Right now I am running from my normal pc, but I dont want my pc running 24h.

Yea if you can't touch the heatsink thats way too hot. I wouldn't recommend running multiple in a hub setup with no fan. At that frequency you would only need a light fan to keep them cool. Also make sure voltage is turned down to .7-.75v if your running that low of a frequency.

How are the hubs failing on the pi? I have not done much testing under a pi, but ill fire up my hub with a pi later and see if i can duplicate what your seeing.

Offline robo1955

• Grumpy Old Unix Engineer
    • Fire side chat for geeks
Nice!

There's an oddity with the pi and some usb3 hubs in that they won't see some devices, notably usb 1.1 devices.  The 'trick' is to plug the usb3 hub into a usb2 hub which is then plugged into the Pi.
Have just tried it on a Pi 2 and it seems to have worked. (running ubuntu)

lsusb on the pi shows :-

[email protected]:~/bfgminer# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 026: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR mySmartUSB light
Bus 001 Device 025: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 018: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub / D-Link DUB-H4 USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Don't know if it will fix you're problem but worth a try.

Offline Mr. Jinx

The 'trick' is to plug the usb3 hub into a usb2 hub which is then plugged into the Pi.
Have just tried it on a Pi 2 and it seems to have worked. (running ubuntu)
Thanks, I will give this a try!

Meanwhile, I got 5 running @ 5 Mh/s on one hub. Voltage is between 9.2 and 9.4 @ 352Mhz / 60watt total. It is the absolute maximum this hub and powersupply can deliver.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:06:01 PM by Mr. Jinx »

Offline jstefanop

Nice! If your running them at 352mhz you need to have the fans blowing directly on the fins. Your not getting any airflow over the heatsink fins with the fan blowing on the side like that and you could very well fry them at that speed.

Offline tentious

SWEET! I just got my beauties in yesterday and had a chance to play today.

One problem I have is a weird one. I'm trying to use these extension cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVE04VU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00. Problem is that when the FutureBit is plugged into this extension cable, OSX doesn't detect it. I've plugged in various other devices to these extension cables and they work perfectly. Anything you guys can think of I could try? Should the miner work over an extension cable?

Some details: They work perfectly directly plugged into the Mac. I have tried the extension cable connected to the powered USB 3.0 Hub as well as the extension cables directly connected to the Mac, same result, it doesn't pick it up. When plugged into the extension cable I get a green light on the FutureBit and on my USB 3.0 hub, the LED light on the hub is lit to show that I have a device plugged into the hub.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys and really appreciate the hard work of jstefanop for putting this project together. The board and quality work is really outstanding!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:47:46 PM by tentious »

Offline jstefanop

SWEET! I just got my beauties in yesterday and had a chance to play today.

One problem I have is a weird one. I'm trying to use these extension cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVE04VU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00. Problem is that when the FutureBit is plugged into this extension cable, OSX doesn't detect it. I've plugged in various other devices to these extension cables and they work perfectly. Anything you guys can think of I could try?

Some details: They work perfectly directly plugged into the Mac. I have tried the extension cable connected to the powered USB 3.0 Hub as well as the extension cables directly connected to the Mac, same result, it doesn't pick it up. When plugged into the extension cable I get a green light on the FutureBit and on my USB 3.0 hub, the LED light on the hub is lit to show that I have a device plugged into the hub.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys and really appreciate the hard work of jstefanop for putting this project together. The board and quality work is really outstanding!

Hmm I have a similar cable and works fine on my mac. When you plug it in to your mac with the cable go to "About this Mac", then click on system report, and go down to USB section and click on that. Do you see a listing for CP2103 USB to UART Bridge Controller?

Don't see why it would not work, its not an abnormally long cable so even sub par shielding on the USB data lines should not prevent it from working at those lengths.

Offline tentious

Embarrassing... I was being too careful with these things. Just needed to go in a little further. :) Wow... Anyways, they're working as expected. Awesome job man!

Offline jstefanop

Embarrassing... I was being too careful with these things. Just needed to go in a little further. :) Wow... Anyways, they're working as expected. Awesome job man!

Awesome...what hub are you running that you can get all 10 to run??? Even I havent found a hub that can run 10. Or do you have them split with multiple hubs?

Offline tentious

Awesome...what hub are you running that you can get all 10 to run??? Even I havent found a hub that can run 10. Or do you have them split with multiple hubs?

I'm using this gem with USB extension cables:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2

I'm designing a box to go around this with fan support. I hope to complete the design by the end of the week, I'll put up the design files on thingiverse for those who have a 3dprinter.

Offline jstefanop

Interesting...I have the 7 port version of that hub, but it can only run 3-4 with its 36W power supply. The 60W supply on your hub must be a much better quality.

Offline r00tdude

I'm afraid my power USB hub (Dipo Electronic 19 port 20A USB) doesn't work very nice with the moonlanders.
Bfgminer keeps detecting new USB ports until it crashes. The hub works ok with gridseeds.

Code: [Select]
[  476.532768] usb 1-1.2.3.4: new full-speed USB device number 31 using dwc_otg
[  476.657645] usb 1-1.2.3.4: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=ea60
[  476.657684] usb 1-1.2.3.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  476.657703] usb 1-1.2.3.4: Product: FutureBit MoonLander USB Scrypt Miner
[  476.657719] usb 1-1.2.3.4: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
[  476.657734] usb 1-1.2.3.4: SerialNumber: FB1E0037
[  476.664801] cp210x 1-1.2.3.4:1.0: cp210x converter detected
[  476.665371] usb 1-1.2.3.4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB11
[  479.445779] cp210x ttyUSB11: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopped: -32
[  479.445825] cp210x ttyUSB11: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopped: -32
[  479.600791] usb 1-1.2.3-port4: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
[  479.601006] usb 1-1.2.3.4: USB disconnect, device number 31
[  479.601754] cp210x ttyUSB11: cp210x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB11
[  479.601850] cp210x 1-1.2.3.4:1.0: device disconnected
[  479.862882] usb 1-1.2.3.4: new full-speed USB device number 32 using dwc_otg

I'm having a similar problem - but the hub isn't the problem - almost certain. I've got one of those eyeboot hubs that can supply oodles of power... but can't even get one stick directly plugged into the PC's USB port to hash. It just creates USB devices over and over again. I did try to turn down the freq to 104 - didn't help.

Yes, I built the bfgminer instance from scratch as per jstephanop's instructions. 

Any thoughts folks?

Offline jstefanop

If its creating USB instances over and over it means the USB port is cutting power due to the stick drawing more power than the port can handle. So it keeps power cycling. All the sticks are tested and working before I ship them out so its definitely not the sticks.

What kind of PC are you using when you directly plug them in the port? Im assuming its some sort of linux box if you compiled the driver. Did you try plugging them in in windows/mac computer and using the precompiled drivers?

Offline Mr. Jinx

I'm having a similar problem - but the hub isn't the problem - almost certain. I've got one of those eyeboot hubs that can supply oodles of power... but can't even get one stick directly plugged into the PC's USB port to hash. It just creates USB devices over and over again. I did try to turn down the freq to 104 - didn't help.

The hub I used first (the DIPO) had a limit of 500mA as jstefanop told me. This hub also didn't work on Windows so that was explainable.

However, the weird thing is I tried several different hubs on a Raspberry Pi, USB 2.0 and 3.0, but they all have the same problem. The moonlanders are detected fine, but at the moment the mining starts, the hub gets a reset. Those hubs work fine on Windows.
So I was thinking maybe there is something weird with the linux version of bfgminer, or is it the Raspberry Pi?
What system did you use?

On the Raspberry Pi, I also tried the suggestion from robo1955: Putting the USB 3.0 hub behind a USB 2.0 hub, but it had the same result.
Other things I tried where forcing the Pi to use USB 1.1 standards and forcing the USB port to 1.1A... all without results.

Offline jstefanop

The hub I used first (the DIPO) had a limit of 500mA as jstefanop told me. This hub also didn't work on Windows so that was explainable.

However, the weird thing is I tried several different hubs on a Raspberry Pi, USB 2.0 and 3.0, but they all have the same problem. The moonlanders are detected fine, but at the moment the mining starts, the hub gets a reset. Those hubs work fine on Windows.
So I was thinking maybe there is something weird with the linux version of bfgminer, or is it the Raspberry Pi?
What system did you use?

On the Raspberry Pi, I also tried the suggestion from robo1955: Putting the USB 3.0 hub behind a USB 2.0 hub, but it had the same result.
Other things I tried where forcing the Pi to use USB 1.1 standards and forcing the USB port to 1.1A... all without results.

Is this going on just on the Pi/linux? The only thing I can think of is there are EMI issues going on thats causing the reset (if its not power related). If the hubs don't have proper EMI protection, the high current output produced by these miners could be causing it. Unfortunately I can almost guarantee those huge 50 port hubs don't follow proper USB standards and don't have EMI circuitry on every port. Not sure why one hub would work on windows and not on linux though...ill double check the linux drivers after I finish shipping the last units in this batch today.

Quick way to test this would be to hook up the miner to the hub with a USB extension cable that has a ferrite bead on it. Lots of USB cables have them by default for these issues, but if you have lots of power cords some of them have the snap on type that you can remove and put on the USB cable. Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/35A-Detachable-Noise-EMI-RFI-Filter-Snap-Magnet-Ring-Ferrite-Core-for-AV-Cable-/141874532508?hash=item210861909c:g:bFcAAOSwa-dWk3vk

I wish I had one of those hubs so I could debug this myself. You guys should also check out the compaq threads on bitcointalk...there are pages upon pages of discussions just on these issues with hubs.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:32:13 PM by jstefanop »