Author Topic: Official FutureBit MoonLander USB Scrypt Stick Software and Support Discussion  (Read 17774 times)

Offline Jmancino2

How are other people cooling their MoonLanders?
I only have 2, so I am using a simple USB fan, that just plugs in to a port. I don't think it matters really what particular fan you use, but you do want the air to flow through the heat sinks, not necessarily right on top.

I'm going to burn something up!
I use the superbag 7 port hub that lots of people mentioned earlier in the thread. It provides the correct voltage you need.

Offline seapau

I got the superbpag hub recently, it works great. Only complaints are that two of the usb ports are slightly closer together on the usb inbut end, and then the heatsink almost touches the components of the unit in front of it. And there is no stand or mounting, so you pretty much need to figure out on your own how to stand it up. I had ghetto rig it with some broken pieces of plastic and rubber to make a little stand so the fans can hit it right and blow parallel with the heatsink fins. I'm using a couple arctic mobile usb fans now, seems to keep it pretty cool. The fans are about 6-10 inches away from the heatsinks plugged into the top/front usb ports blowing on the 4 miners on top of the computer case, both parallel with the heatsink fins and into the open end of the heatsink.
Edit: changed the VDC to 0.845V on the pots.  I like 304 MHz for the clock. Seems ok, runs cool and hardware error and rejection rates below 5% total, maybe need to turn up the voltage a bit
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:16:49 AM by seapau »

Offline zyzzyva

Thanks, all. I agree on the Superbpag hubs, they're the best, except for the orientation of the ports.  :P

My current cooling setup is to stack two hubs, with the sticks facing out (parallel to the floor), and with a 120mm Thermaltake USB fan right in front of them, blowing air down the grooves of the heatsinks. I have a spacer in the middle to keep the hubs above and below the "dead spot" in the center of the fan. The heatsinks still get as hot as 45-50c at a clock speed of 288. Maybe that's the best I'm going to get??

Offline Jmancino2

The heat post made me go back and look at my setup...I think mine were overheating. Currently have reset them set back to default .75v and 144 clock, I have my 120mm fan blowing directly through the fins, and they are running at 28-32c. I also picked up some extensions so I don't have to deal w/the hub spacing. Cable Matters 2 Pack, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Extension Cable in Black 3 Feet I tested and they seem to hold the usb voltage and give you a lot more space, so that is probably helping as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:57:05 PM by Jmancino2 »

Offline jstefanop

Alright so I am on fresh debian with BFG installed by the guide, I am up and running and noticing a similar issue I had with Minera. It looks like for only two sticks I have at least 66 MLD. I have no clue what this is about and I can't get my hashrate right because of this.  What do I set MLD: to for 2 sticks on linux?

Thats a hub/power issue...means the sticks are getting disconnected and reconnected continuously.
That's odd I am using a really good hub that works for my gecko sticks 100%, I will try another hub when I get home but that hub is really good.

Here is the current hub I am using : http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Upgraded-Warranty-Protector-Indicators/dp/B00JEVRXQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456855419&sr=8-2&keywords=etekcity+usb+hub

oh, this hub wont work.. i have this hub.. it wont even power on ONE of them.. it just blinks a few times and turns off.
ironically, i do have 3 gekko sticks on this hub, running at 225M with no issues.

im having a hard time getting them all to power on an anker 60w 10 port hub and a superbpag 70w 7 port hub.
i still think a delay in the driver will help tho.. it spikes the power pretty hard when they initialize.

Ill see about adding a delay in the driver (bfgminer is highly threaded so it would not be trivial to do), in the meantime you can just manually added each miner one by one directly within bfgminer (so initial settings you can start bfgminer with one stick port specified, then press M and start adding the rest of them one by one manually). Im pretty sure this is still not the issue with the misbehaving hubs though, as I did test this myself with some of the bad hubs and manually starting them one by one didnt make a diffrence.

Offline aarons6

Alright so I am on fresh debian with BFG installed by the guide, I am up and running and noticing a similar issue I had with Minera. It looks like for only two sticks I have at least 66 MLD. I have no clue what this is about and I can't get my hashrate right because of this.  What do I set MLD: to for 2 sticks on linux?

Thats a hub/power issue...means the sticks are getting disconnected and reconnected continuously.
That's odd I am using a really good hub that works for my gecko sticks 100%, I will try another hub when I get home but that hub is really good.

Here is the current hub I am using : http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Upgraded-Warranty-Protector-Indicators/dp/B00JEVRXQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456855419&sr=8-2&keywords=etekcity+usb+hub

oh, this hub wont work.. i have this hub.. it wont even power on ONE of them.. it just blinks a few times and turns off.
ironically, i do have 3 gekko sticks on this hub, running at 225M with no issues.

im having a hard time getting them all to power on an anker 60w 10 port hub and a superbpag 70w 7 port hub.
i still think a delay in the driver will help tho.. it spikes the power pretty hard when they initialize.

Ill see about adding a delay in the driver (bfgminer is highly threaded so it would not be trivial to do), in the meantime you can just manually added each miner one by one directly within bfgminer (so initial settings you can start bfgminer with one stick port specified, then press M and start adding the rest of them one by one manually). Im pretty sure this is still not the issue with the misbehaving hubs though, as I did test this myself with some of the bad hubs and manually starting them one by one didnt make a diffrence.

just plugging them in one at a time when bfgminer is running works..

but i found a new issue..

when a pool goes down and it switches to backup, they throw out nothing but hardware errors for a few seconds..

Offline seapau

I think I might have found a bug with the BFgminer-FutureBit-5.4--win64 build, related to plug and play ability of some mice and keyboards. I think it has to do with bfgminer or windows attempting to constantly recognize new devices as hubs or mining devices. Or maybe it's some sort of conflict with the way the keyboard works, since it is a usb composite device with a usb port on the back. Specifically I am using a Logitech G110 keyboard with a Corsair M95 mouse, the mouse is plugged into the usb port on the back of the keyboard, and then that usb cable from the keyboard plugged into the back of the windows 7 desktop. I like to use the same mouse and keyboard between a few devices, so the problem comes when I have bfgminer running and I unplug my mouse and keyboard and then when I plug it back in the mouse and keyboard won't work. I thought mice and keyboards were supposed to be generally plug and play, and I already have the drivers installed for the mouse and keyboard and plug and play seemed to work fine before bfgminer. Also, after this happens it prevents any new keyboard from working that is plugged in (even a different standard keyboard, and even though the keyboard is receiving power as shown by the lights). It's pretty frustrating not being able to use a keyboard, even though I can usually get a standard mouse to work if its plugged in directly. I will keep playing with things to see if I find an easy solution, otherwise I could just keep the same mouse and keyboard plugged in. When I plug in some usb device then bfgminer throws up some sort of failed errors about not recognizing a usb device or hub or not finding a specified file and Windows acts like it's trying to install drivers for some reason, even though I should have the drivers already, so I tried turning off windows update to try to keep windows from trying to find drivers, no luck.
PS. not sure if it matters but the PC I'm using is an Asus Essentio CM6870 US-3AD model, core i7 3770, 16GB ram, 2TB hdd, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit SP1 (just realized it came with asus ai charger, wonder if that's why I was able to get 3 running without a powered usb hub). Other usb devices plugged in besides the superbpag hub with 4 moonlanders is just 2 usb fans, a printer, and the mouse/keyboard I mentioned earlier.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:28:06 AM by seapau »