Author Topic: Dealing with forum spam  (Read 1796 times)

Offline mymosh

• Mymosh
Dealing with forum spam
« on: January 05, 2016, 06:03:20 AM »
Just wondering what the protocol is for reporting forum spam?  I started reporting the posts to the moderator.. but then thought that might be wasting the mods time.

A Disqus-style flag would be nice :)

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
Re: Dealing with forum spam
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »
Report to mod is the best way for them to see it. In the description just say SPAM

Mod clicks the link, read message, delete. It's pretty straight forward.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
I quite often report spam to mods, seems this is the best way as mods are not online 24/7 to catch everything. General users can step up and assist.

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
Sukarti, the admin should set up the forum to require mod approval on a new users first few posts. That would prevent the spam posts ever being seen.

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:09:37 PM »
Sukarti, the admin should set up the forum to require mod approval on a new users first few posts. That would prevent the spam posts ever being seen.

Not my call, I believe there was a thread in meta long ago, not sure if it's still around.

I do agree though considering the uptick in spam and the downtrend in new user accounts.

Offline Bossman

• Hardcore Member
  • In Coblee we trust
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
There has been more spam in the general section, I'm usually the only one who does the cleaning. It may be time for a new global mod.

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »
Hey  .not sure if it is do'able...but on another site they made a 'spam mod' and gave it out to a mess of trustworthy users...that is ALL they could do...kill the spam :)

I myself am on every day late..and have seen such ....would be a quick and easy solution ..assuming you can setup such a limited account for some ..usually late nite

folk ..USA time wise ...is when most of this is seen....got so bad at the other site I got this...that it is a practical race to kill the spam...so many got the keys :)

(looks like 40 puma's chasing 1 mouse .....in stead of like 'gone in 60 seconds' it is more like 'dead/msg killed in 12 seconds" quite the hoot :)

anyway just a thought .... :) But every time I see some I wanna 'kill it' from the other site reflexes! heh :) These mods also had the 'kill the poster account' option as well :)

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »
Hey  .not sure if it is do'able...but on another site they made a 'spam mod' and gave it out to a mess of trustworthy users...that is ALL they could do...kill the spam :)

I myself am on every day late..and have seen such ....would be a quick and easy solution ..assuming you can setup such a limited account for some ..usually late nite

folk ..USA time wise ...is when most of this is seen....got so bad at the other site I got this...that it is a practical race to kill the spam...so many got the keys :)

(looks like 40 puma's chasing 1 mouse .....in stead of like 'gone in 60 seconds' it is more like 'dead/msg killed in 12 seconds" quite the hoot :)

anyway just a thought .... :) But every time I see some I wanna 'kill it' from the other site reflexes! heh :) These mods also had the 'kill the poster account' option as well :)

If it were that bad, I definitely think they would start limiting new users posting rights/locations/volumes. It's not a great policy but good to control spam.

Offline Someguy123

• Owner and operator of explorer.litecoin.net
    • Litecoin Block Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
Using the Report Post button is the most effective. I've gotten a little lazy with checking the spam reports sent to my email since other mods seemed to catch and delete them before I could, though I'm probably going to come back to checking them since it seems other mods aren't as active as they usually are.

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 01:50:35 AM »
One thing we can all agree on is the spam has gotten to be frequent.  Someone needs to monitor and delete the spam, because it makes the forum look dead.  We don't need this additional issue at a critical moment in time when we are trying to support Litecoin.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:57:07 AM by Rockyroad »

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:30 AM »
Using the Report Post button is the most effective. I've gotten a little lazy with checking the spam reports sent to my email since other mods seemed to catch and delete them before I could, though I'm probably going to come back to checking them since it seems other mods aren't as active as they usually are.

The other annoying thing is the 40 second timer to report posts. Makes reporting all the spam kind of a chore.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »

The other annoying thing is the 40 second timer to report posts. Makes reporting all the spam kind of a chore.

Yes, Ive noticed this as well.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »

Any way we can remove the 40 sec timeout? At least until its abused?

Offline Someguy123

• Owner and operator of explorer.litecoin.net
    • Litecoin Block Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »

I've just looked through the admin panel, doesn't seem to be an option for some reason. May need someone with server access to change it in the code, I can't even find how to change the timer on google...

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:25 PM »

I've just looked through the admin panel, doesn't seem to be an option for some reason. May need someone with server access to change it in the code, I can't even find how to change the timer on google...

I wouldn't outright remove it but reducing it to 10 seconds would probably be reasonable.