Author Topic: Are litecoin v.s. bitcoin differences kept "up to date" ?  (Read 752 times)

Offline piotrgal

Are litecoin v.s. bitcoin differences kept "up to date" ?
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
Hi !

I know the litecoin was created as a clone of bitcoin with few changes (like hashing algorithm or block mining interval, etc.)

I would like to ask, how this state changes over time - I mean, is it that after litecoin inception and initial differences, they both keep walking their completely independent paths,
or is there any effort made to "re-apply" the bitcoin developments back on the litecoin (of course if they make sense), so they keep differ only in that initial set of features ?

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
Re: Are litecoin v.s. bitcoin differences kept "up to date" ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
Hi !

I know the litecoin was created as a clone of bitcoin with few changes (like hashing algorithm or block mining interval, etc.)

I would like to ask, how this state changes over time - I mean, is it that after litecoin inception and initial differences, they both keep walking their completely independent paths,
or is there any effort made to "re-apply" the bitcoin developments back on the litecoin (of course if they make sense), so they keep differ only in that initial set of features ?

Litecoin development is generally one version back from BTC as I understand it. Most BTC features are added into LTC as the developers get to them. So yes they are re-applying most features.

There are a few notable differences such as anti-spam(enabled in litecoin, not in bitcoin), different algorithm (Scrypt), faster block times (2.5 minutes vs 10 minutes), etc.

Offline piotrgal

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Litecoin development is generally one version back from BTC as I understand it. Most BTC features are added into LTC as the developers get to them. So yes they are re-applying most features.

Wow, that's sounds great - does it mean that all the BIPs are being implemented in the litecoin core?

Offline losh11

• Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin is Platinum Isotope 190 to Bitcoin's Gold
    • Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »

Wow, that's sounds great - does it mean that all the BIPs are being implemented in the litecoin core?

Most BIPs in Bitcoin Core have been implemented into Litecoin Core.

One example of such is BIP65 (most latest), it's fully enabled on testnet, but more miners need to update to the latest versions of Litecoin Core on main net to enable it.