Author Topic: Question on CPU vs GPU mining  (Read 635 times)

Offline Joeyxl

Question on CPU vs GPU mining
« on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »
hello

i am new to litecoin and litecoin mining, and today i was able to setup p2pool mining on my win 10 rig. now im planning to get some usb miners to just play around with, but what i wanted to know, was in the meantime, using my CPU and/or GPU for mining is ok for the health of the devices? i understand that they will be under stress. they are only being aircooled, and my AMD APU (A8) was hitting temps of 64C, and my GPU (R9280) was hitting temps of 74C. should i just wait till i get the miners, or are these temps ok to use for a day or two to mine? i understand that they are not profitable, but im just into this for hobbies sake.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
Re: Question on CPU vs GPU mining
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
Those temps are ok, I (and many others) ran GPU rigs for months on end with no issues. Just note, you'll spend more in electricity than you'll make.

Offline Joeyxl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply,

I have seen that hydro will cost more than profit. That's why I will be using the sticks full term. Would you even consider thoese power hogs

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 01:58:31 AM »
Power hogs as in GPU/CPU? No, not at all. Even some ASICs are unprofitable at this time

Offline Joeyxl

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:16:36 AM »
what i meant was the sticks. they say that they use 0.3/GH for the sha256 miner which is 8x0.3=2.4W a second. is that alot for a stick? the scrypt miner is the one someone has built on here, and i cant remember the power consumption off the top of my head.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Oh, typically the sticks are less efficient than a full miner but the trade off is upfront cost. I think the most efficient is the one sidehack on Bitcointalk made.