Author Topic: NEW KNC TITAN FIRMWARE - 'GenTarkin's Mod' OFFICIAL TOPIC  (Read 17839 times)

Offline mindtrip

• Litecoin Association Member
Re: NEW KNC TITAN FIRMWARE - 'GenTarkin's Mod' OFFICIAL TOPIC
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »
I can vouch I am using GenTarkins FW on multiple titans and its a huge improvement over the stock FW. He is a valuable asset to the community

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2015, 02:56:34 AM »
I can vouch I am using GenTarkins FW on multiple titans and its a huge improvement over the stock FW. He is a valuable asset to the community

Thanks for your encouraging words =)

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
Ok guys.... voting time!!!!!
This webgui design:

or

STOCK webgui on next release??

This is a comparison of the LOOKS only, not the actual stats layout, the proposed one is missing stuff simply cuz its not installed yet.

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »
First one!  Stock version has always been ugly.

Offline dexubdg

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
First one ;)

Offline AviadOffer

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the KNC Titan world so mind the rookie question.
My cube : 1 Die at 100Mhz and the others are at 250Mhz and above.
No matter what I try (MHZ/voltage) I can't get it higher then 100Mhz, it always dies.
I tried cooling it down with really cold air but nada.
What's the real reason it doesn't function like the others? is the DCDC not functioning ? are those replaceable ?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2015, 05:41:45 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the KNC Titan world so mind the rookie question.
My cube : 1 Die at 100Mhz and the others are at 250Mhz and above.
No matter what I try (MHZ/voltage) I can't get it higher then 100Mhz, it always dies.
I tried cooling it down with really cold air but nada.
What's the real reason it doesn't function like the others? is the DCDC not functioning ? are those replaceable ?
Thanks in advance.

Keep trying different settings etc as you go down the line....if it is first batch units (used) they we're crap on bad dies. My first batch from nov 2014 i have had 2 dies shut to OFF have the miner more stable. There is a thread on www.bitcointalk.org the thread you want for glen's stuff and other mods is below

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.0

but hell sometimes they just don't work.

you can 're-paste' a cube with thermal and new fan and add heatsinks etc (i'm not brave enough yet)

from these videos...the 1st is good video you can see more but in swedish ..his 2nd video is not as clear but in english

anyway an extreme fix option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-RBI4am-wY (swedish but the video on the re-paste etc is more clear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_zcJ0vbOw (english version)

be sure to look at his info/comments below on such to see what he got for thermal paste/fans/heat sinks etc

anyway me I have 2 dies on one cube now slowly fading (at 250 on adv page for the 2 dies on the cube ..the 2 others are at 325 setting)
they 'obviously' are fading with heat...I can get them to work but the heat cranks up over like 93c when I try to run them that fast...so
obviously imho it is heat issue ..which means me getting brave and re-pasting that cube and do the stuff in the above videos

but always remember these machines were made for use at 250mh they only overclocked them to 300 mh when they saw they we're gonna be 4 months late
also the orig firmware was max at 300mh ...but their first run batch dies sucked so bad that they tweaked the firmware yet again to get 350mh out of them
so they are maxed out to the max on voltage equip etc (thus the split psu adapters on the cubes etc)

SO completely irresponsible imho...they are now at the 325 setting maxed out to the wall!

So with that in mind getting 325mh out of your rig is probably better then average...so consider anything over 300mh a gift

also the units (my nov units) are now 13 plus months old...orig 90 day warranty design (they had to make it a year because when we bought them for 1 month
they forgot to change the www page so they were stuck)..so always remember they are an 8th grade science fair project in design at best

anyway......be happy that your titan still mines ......anyway the tricks that come to me off hand

also as a newbie I never upgrade the SD in the unit ....take it out....if orig SD kingston class 4 SD REPLACE IT ASAP with a class 10 at least! I use Sandisk 8gb class 10's

what I mean for the above is I always image an SD as a spare with the knc 2.00 firmware..then using that new SD with that on it ..upgrade and get glen's firmware
on this thread based on the knc 2.00 image and upgrade it that way

I always have the orig SD set aside as a catastrophic backup (assuming it works) whenever I upgrade..if it don't take for some reason (have had 1 bad SD) then all
I have to do is pop the orig SD back in and make a new SD for any re-attempt in the future

anyway hope this helps...if it all sucks myself or others on here would proably take the more broke cubes off your hands  on an attempt to fix at the right price ...but i doubt they will drive you that crazy if they hash

thus is the lot of a titan owner (used or otherwise)

Offline AviadOffer

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
Thanks much searing. I will no doubt open it and replace the fan and place heatsinks.
My bridge on the daughter card already broke but I fixed it and it's working better now. Don't have a clue why would it matter but the cube is doing 75MHs on the pool now. Let's see how long that will last.
Thanks again.

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2015, 06:47:48 AM »
Thanks much searing. I will no doubt open it and replace the fan and place heatsinks.
My bridge on the daughter card already broke but I fixed it and it's working better now. Don't have a clue why would it matter but the cube is doing 75MHs on the pool now. Let's see how long that will last.
Thanks again.

off hand what is all going wrong with it and what exactly have you managed to fix? (hey mine are 13 months old now ..i may need such info) :)

but yeah I'm a coward and stalling on the re-paste etc from the videos...again from when i started 300mh was maxed anything over imho is 'experimental overclocking to the max' the fact knc says you could do so..does not make it any less an overclocking issue so every time i get the nerve to dive in ..i stall

why kill the golden goose?

anyway I am mining with 2 titans at ave speed of 645mh (slowly losing some prob 642mh now) with two dies set to OFF from almost day on on the 1 unit (1 per cube) and such the fact it limps above 600mh is a miracle imho ..so will probably accumulate the stuff for the re-paste fans etc but will stall out as long as possible

45mh or more then I expected on this 2nd round of overclocking above and beyond the first bump from a 250mh titan to a 300mh titan..well.....keeping things in perspective

and again 13 months 24/7 but it will brick itself I'm sure ...it is what Titan's do :)

anyway ...but yeah i should have everything available for 'major surgery' should i need it

I hope it holds off long enough till a neppie cube is about 50 bucks on ebay plus shipping...i have an old knc 550gh jupiter  (off) i can use the board to flast to a neppie board and run that ...but the main reason is all this repaste and fans and heatsinks i'd feel better practicing on a neppie cube 1st before delving into a Titan cube with the swedish guy's you tube mods

just saying

(we also serve who stand in the rear as others battle.......don't worry I'll protect the women folk!) :) (probably genetically correct actually) :)

we also serve who are 'cautious' and 'lame"..its worked well the last 13 months so wtf

Offline AviadOffer

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2015, 05:21:59 PM »
That's funny.
As for what I fixed. It was the bridge between two PI connectors on the daughter card. It was poorly designed and if you have some spikes in heat or power the bridge might burn. Mine did. But easy fix.

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
That's funny.
As for what I fixed. It was the bridge between two PI connectors on the daughter card. It was poorly designed and if you have some spikes in heat or power the bridge might burn. Mine did. But easy fix.

I think that good quality PSUs would prevent this.  I'm running two V1000's instead of one big fat PSU.  Never had an issue, and I was one of the first people to get a Titan in the USA, so I've had it a while.  (it has always sucked, btw)

Offline AviadOffer

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:51 AM »
So with the new bridge and after cleaning the board , repasting it, replacing the fan and adding heat sinks it works much much cooler. I'm not going over 55c now. The end result is a die that could not do more then 100MHz doing 250MHz now and stays up. I didn't try more yet because I don't see a huge impact on the over all MHs. I will run it for a day or two before trying higher freq.
Thanks again for the tip!
oh BTW I'm using evga 1300 G2. So my bridge life was just hanging by a tiny thread .. don't think it was my PSU.

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2015, 06:17:13 AM »
So with the new bridge and after cleaning the board , repasting it, replacing the fan and adding heat sinks it works much much cooler. I'm not going over 55c now. The end result is a die that could not do more then 100MHz doing 250MHz now and stays up. I didn't try more yet because I don't see a huge impact on the over all MHs. I will run it for a day or two before trying higher freq.
Thanks again for the tip!
oh BTW I'm using evga 1300 G2. So my bridge life was just hanging by a tiny thread .. don't think it was my PSU.

still unclear on your easy fix..unless it was the cleaning? and where did ya get the new bridge? knc ?

Offline AviadOffer

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2015, 03:41:06 AM »
The daughter board on the main board supplying power to the PI has a small bridge between two sockets. that bridge tends to burn due to heat/psu etc.
I just soldered it keep the same resistance.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2015, 04:51:32 AM »
Quick update:
Another feature being added for my next release is gonna be very helpful to some of you guys.   Historical cube settings tracking!
For every controller board you have ... any cube ever plugged into it or swapped around or unplugged will have its last known settings remembered.
You no longer will have to manually track what cube had what voltages & clocks  for a specific controller / pi!

First time the firmware is fired up ... it will use the currently plugged in cubes as a baseline. Any future cubes added to the controller w/ that pi will be set to 300mhz / -0.0366v and of course can be user tweaked as desired. Any user changes or firmware changes to clocks / volts will update the "historical settings" as needed, for the cube.
Another example: if a user swaps 2 cubes around on a controller, the volts & clocks will get reassigned to the correct ports as well. =-)

An update on "Energy Saver" ... I think its *almost* ready for production. Its still in testing but things are shaping up extremely well. I hope *most* if not *all* bugs are ironed out at this point. =)