Author Topic: NEW KNC TITAN FIRMWARE - 'GenTarkin's Mod' OFFICIAL TOPIC  (Read 19754 times)

Offline Searing

• Clueless
Re: NEW KNC TITAN FIRMWARE - 'GenTarkin's Mod' OFFICIAL TOPIC
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
ANNOUNCING new release v.99d!!!!

Changes:

Code: [Select]
Added features:
 1. Option in MINING tab to enable / disable API read only access from ALL ip addresses
 (Requires apply & bfgminer restart after changing).

Fixes:
 1. Changed HTML page titles for all webgui pages. Debranded them.
 2. Removed "UPGRADE" button from status page ... no longer used due to making repo private( no longer free )

This release will be available to paid users shortly via your login here:
http://bitcoinlasvegas.net/kncminer-titan-custom-firmware-mod-paid-membership-page/

Free/donation only users: this, and future, releases are not available to you unless you purchase the firmware.

Looking down the road, perhaps next release, will include language selection option starting w/ english & chinese for entire webgui.

by all IP addresses I assume you mean just the 192.xxx.xxx. addresses on my INTERNAL network and I am not opening up access via password to the world?

Just asking ...us clueless people have to do that occasionally (at one time i bought the bfl koolaid..got a refund 1yr and 20 days later but still the stigma remains) :)

by the way it says I"m not a paid member (again) thought this was resolved...I sent vegas an email just saying ....so have not tried it out yet fyi.

Its read only by ALL IP's including ANY ip's you port forward through your firewall to the pi
There is no EASY way w/ 100% certainty figure out everyones subnet. So thats why I opted the ALL or NONE route =)

Im not sure about the membership issues, vegasguy handles all that. He seems busy today, havent heard much from him.
If you dont get it resolved soon, I can issue you a link to the btsync share which has the builds in it.

No problem I'm in no hurry. I paid for the product back at the beginning thru Ebay for the paypal convenience. I had this issue before and he toggled something so I was good thru all of them up to version C. It is now D that seems to think I'm trying to 'slip in' and grab the file w/o paying..so I guess maybe the last 'tweak' to fix this issue did not take

anyway no worries I can wait...about the time I get around to putting it up you make a new version anyway ..then of course I procrastinate so far you win  on the upgrade tag :)

I'll get it up eventually for the perks :)

On a side note. You probably have already answered this...but if I was to TRY and run one of my dies that I have set to OFF just to see how your software handles it ..does it do the auto volt down tricks etc up to a certain number of tries then shut the die off  and flags me of such? I may just set die speed (guess) from their off state .. and let your software toggle thru I suppose the 4 or 5 tries of my particular ...guess the die speed it may run with the dies of 'stump me' so far they win....

....there is little hope I can bring them back (2) but hey anything I can toggle and walk away from rather then stand around and reboot (cursing the Titans and the KNC devs/etc) from their OFF die state to whatever frigging speed to guess at on whatever whim I had that day and let your software do the walking..is probably better for my blood pressure and sanity anyway.....occasionally I have to scratch that itch (2 dead dies to off) but hope springs eternal etc etc...again I likely have the above wrong on how this all works but hey I'm bored and on bitcointalk :)

anyway thanks for your product....1 month of the knc warranty to go (such as knc warranty is that is now ......moot point) and my only resource is this thread/ the soon to be video and your firmware stuff :) I should probably be grateful they have lasted even this long. (Soon to be doorstops diff rise since LTC halving is up 22.40% so the writing is probably on the wall). Hey its a RACE :) LTC difficulty vs KNC doorstop preferences :)

Anyway I and others here appreciate you guys efforts :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:51:24 AM by Searing »

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2015, 06:49:46 PM »

Changes:

Added features:
 1. Option in MINING tab to enable / disable API read only access from ALL ip addresses

Fixes:
 2. Removed "UPGRADE" button from status page ... no longer used due to making repo private( no longer free )

http://bitcoinlasvegas.net/kncminer-titan-custom-firmware-mod-paid-membership-page/

Free/donation only users: this, and future, releases are not available to you unless you purchase the firmware.

Looking down the road, perhaps next release, will include language selection option starting w/ english & chinese for entire webgui.

by all IP addresses I assume you mean just the 192.xxx.xxx. addresses on my INTERNAL network and I am not opening up access via password to the world?

Just asking ...us clueless people have to do that occasionally (at one time i bought the bfl koolaid..got a refund 1yr and 20 days later but still the stigma remains) :)

by the way it says I"m not a paid member (again) thought this was resolved...I sent vegas an email just saying ....so have not tried it out yet fyi.

Its read only by ALL IP's including ANY ip's you port forward through your firewall to the pi
There is no EASY way w/ 100% certainty figure out everyones subnet. So thats why I opted the ALL or NONE route =)

Im not sure about the membership issues, vegasguy handles all that. He seems busy today, havent heard much from him.
If you dont get it resolved soon, I can issue you a link to the btsync share which has the builds in it.

No problem I'm in no hurry. I paid for the product back at the beginning thru Ebay for the paypal convenience. I had this issue before and he toggled something so I was good thru all of them up to version C. It is now D that seems to think I'm trying to 'slip in' and grab the file w/o paying..so I guess maybe the last 'tweak' to fix this issue did not take

anyway no worries I can wait...about the time I get around to putting it up you make a new version anyway ..then of course I procrastinate so far you win  on the upgrade tag :)

On a side note. You probably have already answered this...but if I was to TRY and run one of my dies that I have set to OFF just to see how your software handles it ..does it do the auto volt down tricks etc up to a certain number of tries then shut the die off  and flags me of such? I may just set die speed (guess) from their off state .. and let your software toggle thru I suppose the 4 or 5 tries of my particular ...guess the die speed it may run with the dies of 'stump me' so far they win....

....there is little hope I can bring them back (2) but hey anything I can toggle and walk away from rather then stand around and reboot (cursing the Titans and the KNC devs/etc) from their OFF die state to whatever frigging speed to guess at on whatever whim I had that day and let your software do the walking..is probably better for my blood pressure and sanity anyway.....occasionally I have to scratch that itch (2 dead dies to off) but hope springs eternal etc etc...again I likely have the above wrong on how this all works but hey I'm bored and on bitcointalk :)

anyway thanks for your product....1 month of the knc warranty to go (such as knc warranty is that is now ......moot point) and my only resource is this thread/ the soon to be video and your firmware stuff :) I should probably be grateful they have lasted even this long. (Soon to be doorstops diff rise since LTC halving is up 22.40% so the writing is probably on the wall). Hey its a RACE :) LTC difficulty vs KNC doorstop preferences :)

Nope at this point in time my firmware does not modify voltage in any way. You would have to set the die to a clock and voltage, if the die is really dead it wont matter what voltage u set it at ... stock setting would be fine. But yes, once you set it and hit "apply" about just over an hour later that die should end up on the bypass list(refresh advanced page) and it will be there.
I believe about 5 bfgminer restarts will happen before it makes it on the list. So dont expect "stability" at first.

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2015, 02:42:38 AM »

Changes:

Added features:

Fixes:

Nope at this point in time my firmware does not modify voltage in any way. You would have to set the die to a clock and voltage, if the die is really dead it wont matter what voltage u set it at ... stock setting would be fine. But yes, once you set it and hit "apply" about just over an hour later that die should end up on the bypass list(refresh advanced page) and it will be there.
I believe about 5 bfgminer restarts will happen before it makes it on the list. So dont expect "stability" at first.

ok thanks for the clarification on a side note...if I do want to tackle this again....would it be best perhaps to start at the lower end of the scale on the dies and work upward..ie see if lowest value and and voltage on the dies works and move upwards adjusting values around (voltage) around each speed setting as I go up? Seems to me working down from the top was not working ..perhaps I can have more modest expectations and creep it up to a point it works from the bottom up and then if stable try further tweaks if some stability is shown? But unsure if what I say above puts more strain on the process or is a no/no to do ...but knc told me from the top down and adjust voltage that never got me anywhere  but making my other dies flake so took the cowards way out and just set those 2 to OFF after mucking with them for weeks.

anyway if it is no issue perhaps I will approach this from the bottom up in speed and voltage but again this may not be wise.

comments anyone?

(it is like a bad itch every month or so I have to mess with the above..usually resulting in other dies or cubes going off so a whole circus to get it all back up and just shut those dies OFF already....by all means..if what I propose is dumb as a process please any advice to make me stop!)

hmmmm....the above did not come across as some of my more mature posts ..but they tick me off ..because they are off and I can't really tell with this knc junk if they can be saved or not in any meaningful process.......:) Thus my every other month attempts due to annoyance of the 'real world' that I should just probably leave them the f*ck alone.

be warned ...if you folks do give me a process that gets them back and working stable at whatever speed in some manner I then will whine that I had them set to OFF for 10 months..then again knc raspberry pi tinker toys that they are....getting 645mh now out of 2 dies set to OFF and 1 die set to 275 and 1 die set to 300mh is probably way more then I deserve...or what I will tell myself if I get these to work in any manner.....

just no pleasing some people :)

anyway thanks for the advice :)

Offline kilroy

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »
OP, first let me start by saying thank you and much appreciate the continued progress. 

Quick question about the functionality of code, heat of the day on a particularly hot day, facility warms up, subsequently numerous die are underclocked to keep temps down.  I see how the code handles this on your website.  But once temps reach a certain lower temp, it would make sense to try to bump the clock rate back up to maximize performance.  I was thinking I saw you post somewhere that the code would clock die higher, if so what is the process for increasing clockrates and how often or on what triggers is that process run?

S

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:07 AM »
OP, first let me start by saying thank you and much appreciate the continued progress. 

Quick question about the functionality of code, heat of the day on a particularly hot day, facility warms up, subsequently numerous die are underclocked to keep temps down.  I see how the code handles this on your website.  But once temps reach a certain lower temp, it would make sense to try to bump the clock rate back up to maximize performance.  I was thinking I saw you post somewhere that the code would clock die higher, if so what is the process for increasing clockrates and how often or on what triggers is that process run?

S

I think I already stated previously how it works in this thread. The dies which have been clocked down will be clocked up once their temps reaches 10% below the threshold temp. The reason is because if a die is clocked up at the exact threshold temp then... soon as it gets clocked up its temp will rise above threshold temp again and be clocked down, therefore it will be stuck in a loop of clock up, down, up , down ... so a temperature under threshold by 10% is needed to make up for increase in temp w/ die gets clocked back up.
This happens automatically. But, if you change the config in advanced page while its running... this resets and clock up eligibility, as it overwrites all previous settings kept track by the monitoring script(it restarts the monitoring script) So, the settings applied become the new baseline.

Offline kilroy

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
crap, sorry I overlooked the earlier reply, I thought I had seen it somewhere before.  That is an excellent approach, v.nice.

Regarding Temps being passed to BFG, here is what I mean.  If I look at BFG directly for a GPU or in this case a BFL ASIC, you see that the temp is passed to BFG and is displayed between the ASIC ID and the hashrate for each die/ASIC as seen here->

but with the Titans there is no value being passed to BFG or its not found at the SNMP string being polled by BFG and leaves a blank space as seen here ->

Using Awesome miner to monitor all the ASIC collectively, it pulls temp values from BFG and makes it available for threshold tracking and alerting.  Awesome miner subsequently shows none of the Titan temps due to lack of BFG support.

I realize with the controllable temp cutoff built in that this is less of an urgency but still a nice to have for SA and centralized administration.

S
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:57:21 PM by kilroy »

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 02:44:58 AM »
crap, sorry I overlooked the earlier reply, I thought I had seen it somewhere before.  That is an excellent approach, v.nice.

Regarding Temps being passed to BFG, here is what I mean.  If I look at BFG directly for a GPU or in this case a BFL ASIC, you see that the temp is passed to BFG and is displayed between the ASIC ID and the hashrate for each die/ASIC as seen here->

but with the Titans there is no value being passed to BFG or its not found at the SNMP string being polled by BFG and leaves a blank space as seen here ->

Using Awesome miner to monitor all the ASIC collectively, it pulls temp values from BFG and makes it available for threshold tracking and alerting.  Awesome miner subsequently shows none of the Titan temps due to lack of BFG support.

I realize with the controllable temp cutoff built in that this is less of an urgency but still a nice to have for SA and centralized administration.

S

This is because there is no actual temp sensor for ASIC's in Titan, either the dies dont have a built in thermistor(most likely) or KNC never coded nor documented, it in their little waas or asic command utilities.
The only temps available are via the waas command(maybe asic) command as well. Those temps are just the DCDC temps & the single smd on the PCB for each cube.
Someone would have to code the Titan driver to read the waas output temps for each DCDC per die then average them.  Im not sure if thats even functionally possible w/ the bfgminer type drivers.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:00:45 AM by GenTarkin »

Offline hagie

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
Hi,

one of my dies just won't Start. It's listed with low power values:

DC/DC   Voltage (V)   Current (A)   Power (W)   Temperature (°C)
0   0.7848   38.1875   29.970   63.800
1   0.7825   37.5625   29.393   66.600
2   0.7831   38.7500   30.345   69.500
3   0.7845   39.1250   30.694   75.500
4   0.7804   38.2500   29.850   69.200
5   0.7803   38.3750   29.944   65.900
6   0.8080   1.9805   1.600   41.700
7   0.8086   2.4688   1.996   39.800

What Kind of state is this? Is it fixable?

OK the Mod Firmware helps not trying to start the Die over and over again ..
*hello from a new customer ....

Anyway I like to have the die working. The Vegas guy can fix this problem - is there any guide out there how to do this.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:44:12 AM by hagie »

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
Hi,

one of my dies just won't Start. It's listed with low power values:

DC/DC   Voltage (V)   Current (A)   Power (W)   Temperature (°C)
0   0.7848   38.1875   29.970   63.800
1   0.7825   37.5625   29.393   66.600
2   0.7831   38.7500   30.345   69.500
3   0.7845   39.1250   30.694   75.500
4   0.7804   38.2500   29.850   69.200
5   0.7803   38.3750   29.944   65.900
6   0.8080   1.9805   1.600   41.700
7   0.8086   2.4688   1.996   39.800

What Kind of state is this? Is it fixable?

OK the Mod Firmware helps not trying to start the Die over and over again ..
*hello from a new customer ....

Anyway I like to have the die working. The Vegas guy can fix this problem - is there any guide out there how to do this.

Regards

Id say contact vegasguy over at bitcointalk.org , he does deal w/ more of the hardware issues. I dont have a physical titan so couldnt tell ya =)
I just code the firmware mod.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
Heads up , some features rolling out for next update:
1. Groundwork for choosing between webgui languages , you will be asked which language to chose after install of upgrade.
 At time of writing only the status page is fully translated to chinese. Not sure when it will get done w/ whole webgui that will be in a   future upgrade down the line.
2. Much better wall watts estimation and more true cube watts consumption @ PSU.
3. Option in SYSTEM page to specify PSU effeciency(which is used as part of the wall watts estimation).

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:30 AM »
1. Groundwork for choosing between webgui languages , you will be asked which language to chose after install of upgrade.
 At time of writing only the status page is fully translated to chinese. Not sure when it will get done w/ whole webgui that will be in a   future upgrade down the line.
2. Much better wall watts estimation and more true cube watts consumption @ PSU.
3. Option in SYSTEM page to specify PSU effeciency(which is used as part of the wall watts estimation).

How does 3) above work exactly....i read something off my PSU's box on efficiency? Thanks for the clarification.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2015, 07:12:14 AM »

How does 3) above work exactly....i read something off my PSU's box on efficiency? Thanks for the clarification.

Many times actual efficiency of PSU's isnt properly marketed / published. Its something you just have to know about ur particular PSU.
Many PSU's come rated as per the 80PLUS standard.
You can see a table of the efficiency ratings for various 80PLUS certs here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Keep in mind, the tests used to determine PSU's grouping into categories above are often done at really low ambient temps(not close to real world). So, there can still be quite a variance between PSU's actual efficiency vs its 80PLUS rating.
Generally expensive PSU's(for a given wattage bracket) are pretty accurate when it comes to their 80PLUS rating.

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »

Many times actual efficiency of PSU's isnt properly marketed / published. Its something you just have to know about ur particular PSU.

Keep in mind, the tests used to determine PSU's grouping into categories above are often done at really low ambient temps(not close to real world). So, there can still be quite a variance between PSU's actual efficiency vs its 80PLUS rating.
Generally expensive PSU's(for a given wattage bracket) are pretty accurate when it comes to their 80PLUS rating.

Have dual Corsair 1200i's Platinum looks like they are at 90%. *running 6 Titan cubes if that makes some kinda difference on this watts mod* and on my last 2 cubes
I have them running on my old knc Jupiter (retired to doorstop) PSU (since oct 2013) Corsair 860w PSU also Platinum so also 90% it seems.

So looks on 'paper' I'm in pretty good shape for a more accurate idea of at the wall. Unless a 6 cube unit as such will mess up your tweak on this kinda thing?

Anyway as always appreciate you and Vegas efforts on our behalf with this whole Titan thing!

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »

Have dual Corsair 1200i's Platinum looks like they are at 90%. *running 6 Titan cubes if that makes some kinda difference on this watts mod* and on my last 2 cubes
I have them running on my old knc Jupiter (retired to doorstop) PSU (since oct 2013) Corsair 860w PSU also Platinum so also 90% it seems.

So looks on 'paper' I'm in pretty good shape for a more accurate idea of at the wall. Unless a 6 cube unit as such will mess up your tweak on this kinda thing?

Anyway as always appreciate you and Vegas efforts on our behalf with this whole Titan thing!

Well, when I release the next update, ull just put 90 in that field =) and it should be pretty dang close to ur actual wall wattage =)

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:55 PM »
I'm running v0.99d

Over the course of 24 hours, it shuts down over half my dies, and I have to erase the bypass list.  It seems to be a daily cycle of decreasing performance, then me erasing the bypass list and rebooting the miner.

If I bypass health checking on all the dies, is there any advantage to running this firmware over stock firmware?