Author Topic: NEW KNC TITAN FIRMWARE - 'GenTarkin's Mod' OFFICIAL TOPIC  (Read 17487 times)

Offline GenTarkin

Re: NEW KNC TITAN FIRMWARE - 'GenTarkin's Mod' OFFICIAL TOPIC
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
I did not manually set them to off, and it does not appear as though your firmware sets them to off once it determines them bad.  I realize though, it is still good to check every now and then in case there is a false positive for a bad die or some other extenuating circumstance.  Not sure if there is need for action here on your part based on that tidbit which I really should of assessed prior as a matter of practicality.

M.Thanks

Yeah, I see the potential confusion .. my github notes show "dead die" handling. I put quotes on it to signify that Im not talking about completely bad dies.  Im talking about ones that "go dead" or "sleep" or "drop" while mining. Ill try to make it more clear in my github notes =)

Basically, the initial reason I started coding the firmware was to improve the miners stability. I knew there were many people that had Titans which required power cycling every once in a while because  a die would just stop hashing(go dead, sleep or drop - whatever you wanna call it) and my firmware has a way to wake up these dies and get them hashing again without requiring a full, manual power cycle on the whole miner.
Therefore dies that are completely dead(at the hardware level) need to be set to off manually still just like the original firmware =)

But w/ my new release coming out. Any problematic dies whether dead(and not set to OFF) or partially alive(but still cause constant reset triggering) ... will automatically be appended to a list for bypass of health checking. In other words, yes this will help rigs where people havent set completely dead dies to OFF.

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 03:08:57 AM »

Any problematic dies whether dead(and not set to OFF) or partially alive(but still cause constant reset triggering) ... will automatically be appended to a list for bypass of health checking. In other words, yes this will help rigs where people havent set completely dead dies to OFF.

So, will your new release "learn" (for lack of a better word) which dies to ignore, and will it "remember" that information after a power cycle?  If it "forgets" which dies are bad, it has to go through the whole process over again.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:49 AM »

Any problematic dies whether dead(and not set to OFF) or partially alive(but still cause constant reset triggering) ... will automatically be appended to a list for bypass of health checking. In other words, yes this will help rigs where people havent set completely dead dies to OFF.

So, will your new release "learn" (for lack of a better word) which dies to ignore, and will it "remember" that information after a power cycle?  If it "forgets" which dies are bad, it has to go through the whole process over again.

Yes, my newest v.99c is designed to bypass any dies causing constant soft / hard resets... it wll remember them across a power cycle & there will be an option in the ADVANCED page to clear the bypass file .. ie when switching cubes or something on the controller.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »
I need to call a vote....
I would like to easily add "read only" api access to rigs for people in sake of convenience of monitoring. The problem is --api-network gets COMPLETELY ignored when --api-allow is used AT ALL... it does not get simply overridden when using --api-allow like the documentation states.
So, the only way I can do that is by allowing api access from 0/0 which is all ip's having read only access. Meaning, local subnet would have read only access & any ip's allowed through ur firewall would as well.
I need to call a vote on this and see if people are for or against this.
Please respond =)

Offline Searing

• Clueless
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
I did not manually set them to off, and it does not appear as though your firmware sets them to off once it determines them bad.  I realize though, it is still good to check every now and then in case there is a false positive for a bad die or some other extenuating circumstance.  Not sure if there is need for action here on your part based on that tidbit which I really should of assessed prior as a matter of practicality.

M.Thanks

I had 2 dies I set to OFF from last nov...I GAINED speed and the erraticness  goes away on speed was a lot of improvement in such. So if your dies are 'shot' you may just have to bite the bullet and set them to OFF (reality sucks) :)

Offline beanhead

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »
I would like to easily add "read only" api access to rigs for people in sake of convenience of monitoring. The problem is --api-network gets COMPLETELY ignored when --api-allow is used AT ALL... it does not get simply overridden when using --api-allow like the documentation states.
So, the only way I can do that is by allowing api access from 0/0 which is all ip's having read only access. Meaning, local subnet would have read only access & any ip's allowed through ur firewall would as well.
Please respond =)

How about coding it in a way that people can choose to have it or not?  Like a dropdown option somewhere?

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
Please respond =)

How about coding it in a way that people can choose to have it or not?  Like a dropdown option somewhere?

Yeah, I may impliment an on / off option in miner page, but will be in the release after next one.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
!!!ANNOUNCING!! v.99c for premium/prepaid/predonated members!
 --v.99b is now available for *free*(.75% don) users.

PREMIUM members, you should soon see the updated v.99c in your member page which you were supplied when you purchased the firmware. "vegasguy" will supply you with more info.

Release notes: https://github.com/GenTarkin/Titan/releases/tag/v.99c

Code: [Select]
AutoBypass Dies, BFGminer 5.3.0, pf4g's KNCminion & more!

Major changes in this release:
 1. Auto-bypass of dies which cause constant soft / hard resets. How this works: If a die has caused more than 5 soft / hard resets
 within 2 hours then that die will be flagged for autobypass - meaning monitoring of its "hashing health" will be further ignored and
 the die will be on its own. Its DCDC's will still be monitored for temperature conditions though, so if soft / hard resets are being
 caused by temp issues .. these will NOT be ignored! The list of dies bypassed is persistent across pi reboots etc, when a die has
 been bypassed a message will be shown on ADVANCED page w/ an option to clear the autobypass file.
 2. Updated BFGminer to 5.3.0
 3. Integrated pf4g's KNCminion webgui extension & added a link "more goodies" on status page.

Minor changes & fixes:
 1. Disabled http access logging by default(option still exists to enable in SYSTEM page).
 2. Set bfgminer 5.1.0 as default miner to be ran (can still change it to 5.3.0 via ADVANCED page).
 3. Minor tweaks to ADVANCED running bfgminer version readout.
 4. Added reset count per die to /var/log/monitordcdc.log
 5. Optimized various sections of my code additions in monitoring script.
 6. v.99b made available for "free" users.

NOTES - as usual , please contact me in bitcointalk.org forum or litecointalk.org for w/ bugs, questions etc...

For people running the free v.99a version, you can either update via the UPGRADE button on STATUS page OR download the .bin file from here: https://github.com/GenTarkin/Titan/releases/tag/v.99b

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 02:08:53 AM »

Using it now.  Appears quite stable.  Maybe you're ready for a 1.0 release?

Still no idea how the FPGA code works?  That's the roadblock to major progress.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 02:14:24 AM »

Using it now.  Appears quite stable.  Maybe you're ready for a 1.0 release?

Still no idea how the FPGA code works?  That's the roadblock to major progress.

Good to hear, yeah maybe after .99c is stable Ill make a 1.00 release =P will see...

Nope, like I said I am nowhere near skilled enough to reverse engineer the fpga code...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:24:33 AM by GenTarkin »

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 02:16:42 AM »

Nope, like I said I am nowhere near skilled enough to reverse engineer the fpga code...

Any idea if the current IMG would run on a RasPi 2, or are they not compatible?..

Nevermind.  I answered my own question.  It's not.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:48:05 AM by Mattzees »

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »
Things are changing for the free users...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg12566518#msg12566518

Ha! thanks for posting that here, I was gonna make an announcement post here as well soon, but u got it covered =)

Offline Mattzees

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:36 AM »

Ha! thanks for posting that here, I was gonna make an announcement post here as well soon, but u got it covered =)

It needed a bump anyway.  Software has been reliable thus far.  Thanks.

Offline GenTarkin

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 02:59:31 AM »

It needed a bump anyway.  Software has been reliable thus far.  Thanks.

Yep no problem! OH and iirc you were one of the paying folks right? If so, have you upgraded to my latest v99c version? (released a couple weeks back)