Author Topic: Heatvape Invader mini 50W/Goliath RTA/Real VTC5's review  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
Heatvape Invader mini 50W/Goliath RTA/Real VTC5's review
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:25 PM »
Hi all, I thought I would give my experience of the Heatvape Invader mini 50w, the Goliath RTA(both from Gearbest), and a new source I found for real VTC5 18650 batteries.

I've had the Invader for over a month and it does just as advertised. Pbusardo did an indepth review on youtube, so I won't bother typing one up. Combined with the Goliath and the VTC5's it is a dam good combo. I bought the Invader because I was looking for a temp control device that didn't break the bank, and for $65usd the Invader is a bargain. Using Kanthal it detects that and automatically goes into wattage mode. With NI200 or Titanium it sees that and goes into temp mode. I have not personally experienced some of the minor problems Pbusardo did even though mine is one of the first batch models. He says the second batch is without those problems, but mine hasn't exhibited any problems whatsoever. Maybe I got a batch 2 in a batch 1 box. *shrugs* The Invader is rock solid, durable as hell, and does what it says on the tin for a fraction of the price of other temp control units.

The Goliath RTA is not for novice builders, but if you take your time to get your coils right and properly wicked, it is a fucking beast. It has great flavor and huge clouds, but blows through liquid like a firehose. The build deck is smaller than it appears because the chimney fits rather tightly over it, so you can't really go bigger than coils wrapped on 2mm. NI200 or Titanium takes considerably more wraps than Kanthal, so you are forced to use smaller diameter wire, such as 30 gauge. I'm not kidding about the limited space under the chimney, so your coils have to be tight to the posts without touching. Once properly coiled and wicked I don't think the Goliath has a match to be honest. It isn't bothered but viscosity, doesn't leak,  easy filling, no gurgling etc. You will need to use dual coil though. I tried it with a single coil and it is a nightmare.

I found a supplier called Orbtronics that have a supply of real Sony VTC5's in stock at a very reasonable price. I needed a couple more batteries and decided to give them a try instead of the Samsung 25r's(which are really good too but I could only find them in 20a discharge and Titanium wire requires 30a). Now I know why people rave about the VTC5's. They hit like a sledgehammer, stay consistent no matter what charge level until they shutdown. Truly great batteries priced similar to the 25r's. You can't go wrong with either, but if you are needing 30a discharge go with the VTC5's.

Offline Xardas

• Elite Member
Re: Heatvape Invader mini 50W/Goliath RTA/Real VTC5's review
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:30 AM »
I thought I should do a follow up to this post. The Heatvape has started to randomly change modes from temp mode to wattage mode. This is VERY VERY bad. I know it is a budget unit, but that is still unacceptable. You will go from nice temp controlled vaping to gut wrenching horrid flavor when it randomly swaps modes. It might just be MY unit, but still.....when you gag on burning cotton because your rig suddenly sends a steady 50 watts and toasts your wick.......you will not be a happy camper. I've contacted them about it and they simply don't respond. Typical Chinese reaction.

The Goliath is still awesome!

Offline BillW50

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
I have three Heatvape Invader Mini mods. v1 (gray) purchased May of '15 and two v2 (black and blue) purchased June of '15. All three are still working just awesome. I either use one of my eight Kanger Subtanks (in RBA mode) or one of my drippers. These mods work so well, I quit using all of my other mods. I also purchased six spare top caps from 3avape.com ($6.50 each) and they double as atty stands as well.

I normally use tempered Ni200 wire with a resistance of 0.10 to 0.20 ohm. And as long as you have no problems with a solid connection, I have zero issues with any confusion whether it should be in TC or wattage mode. If you use Kanthal wire, then you want wattage mode. I don't think I ever had a problem with modes using Kanthal with a resistance over 1.0 ohm. It actually works over 2.0 ohm, but it reports ohms too high but still fires correctly anyway. I know it still fires with 2.3 ohm at least.

The few times I have seen it confused, all I do is fire for 2 seconds and it switches and gets it right. That is what the Heatvape site says too in their FAQ. I don't normally set either wattage or TC over 15 watts with the Kanger Subtanks. Those Subtanks heat up vaper really fast with little power. But take my Mutation XL v3 for example, even at 30 watts it hardly can get to 250 degrees F with lung hits (very cold vape with very little vaper). Way too much stainless steel stealing all of the heat away. You probably won't get to 400F with mouth to lung hits at 30 watts either on a Mutation XL v3.

Offline Ǫ̶̷̕͜Ź̛ḿ͜a͞͞͠͏ś̡͟͠͡t́͏é̴r

• Crypto is the future!
    • Coinbar
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
is it for oil or for herbs aswell?

could you link me up with a web that sells them please, i noticed their website is offline