Author Topic: Litecoin Supernodes'  (Read 17002 times)

Offline losh11

• Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin is Platinum Isotope 190 to Bitcoin's Gold
    • Bitch, here's my site.
Re: Litecoin Supernodes'
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »
Thanks to LitecoinNode for starting that project, I've sent you a PM about that.

Anyone running his client will seed the network; the point of a supernode is to be able to quickly seed the network to many users rather than just a maximum of eight users. Running a supernode on a low speed home connection won't really help the network, so keep that in mind. If you have a VPS or server with free resources, running the Litecoin client will be very helpful. By default the client will connect to a maximum of 250 (I believe that's the number) others as long as the port is open (setting the number higher in the config, to 400, would be even better).

TL;DR: if you want to help the network, just keep your Litecoin client running all the time, but if you have a VPS or server with extra RAM and HDD, run the client and make sure the port is open/not blocked by iptables or whatever else.

True, but over a long period of time, it may become hard to just run a supernodes on a home computer, over a normal network.
I will add to the script, asking for how may or max clients you would like to connect to, or an auto setting which gets system RAM and gets a number of max recomended clients.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2015, 02:10:53 PM »
Im going to bump this and say that Ive setup a DigitalOcean account to run as a node.

It appears to have worked without error, I see you mentioned adding a auto setting for RAM/MAXCONNECTIONS. did you do this? Im a linux noob so Im not sure how to open and check the litecoin client from command line. I just assume all is well at this point.

Also, if I reboot the system, does the litecoin client start automatically? If not maybe this is something you can add to your script?

EDIT: I played around and it looks like I can not get it to run on the droplet with only 512mb of RAM. It starts but after a few minutes it looks like it runs out of space, even with MAX CONNECTIONS set to 2. Running the same commands on the 1GB version works fine.

I also tried using the free tier of AWS EC2 and have failed. The commands run but when it tries to launch litecoind it fails. It claims litecoind doesnt exist but I can se it by typing ls.

Not sure whats going on there...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:39:21 PM by AmDD »

Offline TreasureSeeker

• TreasureQuarry Litecoin Mining Pool
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »
Make sure litecoind is in a folder within your "$PATH" , for example in your /usr/loca/bin/       folder, and ensure it's chmodded and chowned to make it executable by your user.  You should then be able to start it with just:

litecoind

You'll need to give it a few seconds or even a minute or so (depending on our server) to start up, then, to get some general info do:

litecoind getinfo

To see lots of other options available do:

litecoind help

Litecoin won't start automatically at boot by default, but if you're using Ubuntu you can set up an upstart script to start it at boot.  If you're using another flavor of Linux you'll need some kind of init script.

Edited to add:

The above info is if your setting up litecoind manually. I see the Litecoin Deployment script mentioned in your post,  AmDD, and in a few posts above, seems to set up stuff automatically including starting at boot, but I haven't tried the script itself.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:14:56 PM by TreasureSeeker »

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
Just noticed that there were replies to this thread.. Sorry for the late response.

AmDD would you mind removing everything that is to do with the supermodel from your droplets (ie litecoind).
I'm gonna try to make the LitecoinNode one liner script available in public by tomorrow, it'll be running the latest stable build of Litecoin 0.10.*.

I think what your experiencing with low memory is probably the blockchain indexing.
It can be particularly long, but I am trying to work with a guy called Mike (LitecoinNode) to add in a feature in which it will get your system specs and then determine max RAM and Litecoin.conf options to use.

The script does run automatically on reboot. Also I tried running the script on a t2.micro AWS free instance and it works alright.
Also Litecoin usually has more than 2 peers, even on ancient computers. 8 peers is the max incoming peers and if your peer count is >8 then you have an outgoing port set up which is sendin outgoing connections.

Offline CryptoAmbassador

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
Thanks for the news, it cleared allot up

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
Just noticed that there were replies to this thread.. Sorry for the late response.

AmDD would you mind removing everything that is to do with the supermodel from your droplets (ie litecoind).
I'm gonna try to make the LitecoinNode one liner script available in public by tomorrow, it'll be running the latest stable build of Litecoin 0.10.*.

I think what your experiencing with low memory is probably the blockchain indexing.
It can be particularly long, but I am trying to work with a guy called Mike (LitecoinNode) to add in a feature in which it will get your system specs and then determine max RAM and Litecoin.conf options to use.

The script does run automatically on reboot. Also I tried running the script on a t2.micro AWS free instance and it works alright.
Also Litecoin usually has more than 2 peers, even on ancient computers. 8 peers is the max incoming peers and if your peer count is >8 then you have an outgoing port set up which is sendin outgoing connections.

Get anywhere with this? I was successful in getting it setup on a paid digitalocean server but the free Amazon tier is proving to be a bit more of a challenge. :/

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »
I have a video on my computer with me installing it to t2 AWS. What exactly are you doing, or what error are you getting.
Is it just RAM running out?

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
I have a video on my computer with me installing it to t2 AWS. What exactly are you doing, or what error are you getting.
Is it just RAM running out?
The possible memory issue was while using the lowest tier on DigitalOcean (512mb). Even AWS free tier uses 1GB and I havent had issues with memory.

I think the issue I was having is more OS based. With AWS I used Ubuntu first and had to fight it because you cant login as root apparently. sudo seemed to work on some commands but not everything. Ive tried a number of different things so far and cant remember what exactly was happeneing. I'll start from scratch and let you know.
What OS did you use? I tried the Amazon Linux version but I think thats based on RedHat so "apt-get" doesnt work.

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
To get administrator privileges until you logout you type 'sudo su' - it'll ask for your password, and it won't be shown.
After doing sudo, you no longer have to type sudo before every command.

You'll see that your are logged in as [email protected] bash - if it looks like that, it'll work.

Amazon Linux should work, I did test my script on it.

Offline hcf27

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »
Hello,

I have a vps and will like to run a fullnode.. its the script up to date?

Thanks!

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »
This is the terminal command to run the script:-

Code: [Select]
$wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LitecoinNode/DeploymentScripts/master/linux.sh -P /root/ ; bash /root/linux.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/linux.log
Hopefully, your VPS is an Ubuntu machine.

Offline hcf27

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2015, 11:37:07 PM »

$wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LitecoinNode/DeploymentScripts/master/linux.sh -P /root/ ; bash /root/linux.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/linux.log

Yes, I have latest ubuntu and 2.5 RAM.. will try it out and report here if it works!

Thank you for providing this guide

Offline hcf27

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »

Hey i got this error:

inux.sh: No such file or directory
bash: /root/linux.sh: No such file or directory

Offline crazik

• Administrator
    • great humour zone
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »

Hey i got this error:

I hope you're running 'wget' command without leading '$'...
Please paste your output from that command

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »

Hey i got this error:

Sorry, should have said before. You need have root access (privileges) to run this.
So follow exactly this in a new terminal. It will ask you for your root password after typing 'sudo su'.

do
sudo suthen do
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LitecoinNode/DeploymentScripts/master/linux.sh -P /root/ ; bash /root/linux.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/linux.log