Author Topic: Litecoin Supernodes'  (Read 17751 times)

Offline Totscha

Re: Litecoin Supernodes'
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 11:06:16 PM »
That's basically what supernodes are, highly reliable full clients. Also known as seed nodes (at least in the Bitcoin network).

The thing is in P2P networks, you need somewhere to connect to at start. Imagine you download a client from litecoin.org. It doesn't search through the whole internet to find a Litecoin node. It has a list of known Litecoin supernodes. It has to start from somewhere ;)

Offline losh11

• Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin is Platinum Isotope 190 to Bitcoin's Gold
    • Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Don't forget: you can speed up the initial block syncing by using the bootstrap.dat file.

Get it from the wiki page: https://litecoin.info/Bootstrap.dat

If possible, download the torrent file instead of the direct download link. Then, keep seeding it for a while. My server had close to 900GB in bandwidth the past month for the bootstrap.dat file alone ;)

That was probably all me. I some how managed to mess up the files required for SSH around 10-20 times and had to keep on starting new instances with new downloads.

If you could update it, that would be nice. I can seed from S3, so that's around 100MB/s of upload. (I think).

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »
I hate to keep derailing this thread but... If the normal clients dont relay transactions and only download from supernodes then there is no real point to keeping them open all the time, correct? Other than keeping your own blockchain up to date for your own use.

I dont know the innerworkings of the software very well and this is probably a topic for another thread but wouldnt it be better to have all clients act as supernodes? Maybe not with 500 connections but even the standard 8 or so? Totscha, you mention having a starting point, well how does the client know where this starting point is? How did Napster or any torrent software know where other clients are on the network? Couldnt Litecoin function the same way?

Offline Totscha

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »
I hate to keep derailing this thread but... If the normal clients dont relay transactions and only download from supernodes then there is no real point to keeping them open all the time, correct? Other than keeping your own blockchain up to date for your own use.

I dont know the innerworkings of the software very well and this is probably a topic for another thread but wouldnt it be better to have all clients act as supernodes? Maybe not with 500 connections but even the standard 8 or so? Totscha, you mention having a starting point, well how does the client know where this starting point is? How did Napster or any torrent software know where other clients are on the network? Couldnt Litecoin function the same way?

If the normal client is run 24/7 it does relay transactions to other nodes. I run it all the time, I usually have around 30 connections. By leeching Carnth was talking about people who open the QT client, sync to the latest block and then close it. This way they don't relay (almost) anything, since they are out of sync most of the time ;)

All P2P networks (including Litecoin) work on the same principle. You connect to a server. All the server does is that it maintains a list of other clients. So you then get that list and you then connect to these clients and share data directly with them.

Napster had central servers that worked exactly like I described above. The list was in the napster software.

Torrent files have trackers inside them. A tracker will point you to a server that maintins a list of clients that are currently sharing the file. Somebody has to run a torrent tracker server on their hardware.

Litecoin only has clients/nodes. Each client/node is also a small server basically. In the Qt client there are seed IPs hardcoded and the client will attempt to connect to them. Once it has a successful connection to one or two of them it will get addresses of other nodes from them. And the hardcoded IPs are known supernodes that have been up reliably for a long time...

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »

If the normal client is run 24/7 it does relay transactions to other nodes. I run it all the time, I usually have around 30 connections. By leeching Carnth was talking about people who open the QT client, sync to the latest block and then close it. This way they don't relay (almost) anything, since they are out of sync most of the time ;)

All P2P networks (including Litecoin) work on the same principle. You connect to a server. All the server does is that it maintains a list of other clients. So you then get that list and you then connect to these clients and share data directly with them.

Napster had central servers that worked exactly like I described above. The list was in the napster software.

Torrent files have trackers inside them. A tracker will point you to a server that maintins a list of clients that are currently sharing the file. Somebody has to run a torrent tracker server on their hardware.

Litecoin only has clients/nodes. Each client/node is also a small server basically. In the Qt client there are seed IPs hardcoded and the client will attempt to connect to them. Once it has a successful connection to one or two of them it will get addresses of other nodes from them. And the hardcoded IPs are known supernodes that have been up reliably for a long time...

That makes sense, Thanks! I have the client running 24/7 on two different networks with hopes that Im helping the network as a whole.

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
That makes sense, Thanks! I have the client running 24/7 on two different networks with hopes that Im helping the network as a whole.

Totscha's explaination seems good.
If you do plant to keep the client open 24/7, please check if your node count is above 8. If not, you are not accepting incoming transactions, to do this, open port 9333 (for LTC- 8333 for BTC) for TCP.

Offline The Doktor

• DOGEvangelist
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up. I keep all of my wallets running all of the time on a VM on my server, and I thought that was doing the job. Apparently there was a small problem. When I would change certain settings on the router, it would apparently undo all of the upnp port forwarding, and unlike some programs I run, the wallets do not periodically redo their port forwarding. So, I manually forwarded all the appropriate ports, and I'm now properly supporting LTC, DOGE, and several other coins. LTC & DOGE had 36 connections each the last time I checked.

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up. I keep all of my wallets running all of the time on a VM on my server, and I thought that was doing the job. Apparently there was a small problem. When I would change certain settings on the router, it would apparently undo all of the upnp port forwarding, and unlike some programs I run, the wallets do not periodically redo their port forwarding. So, I manually forwarded all the appropriate ports, and I'm now properly supporting LTC, DOGE, and several other coins. LTC & DOGE had 36 connections each the last time I checked.

Thank you for checking.
Do you run litecoin-qt or litecoind?

Just wanted to ask, if you type the console command 'getpeerinfo', how many of you peers are from litecoinpool?
Because I must have at least around 10.

Offline TheMage

• Legendary Member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
Losh, thank you so much for setting this up and making tutorials and such. This is fantastic and helps the network a lot!

Offline The Doktor

• DOGEvangelist
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:12 AM »

Thank you for checking.
Do you run litecoin-qt or litecoind?

Just wanted to ask, if you type the console command 'getpeerinfo', how many of you peers are from litecoinpool?
Because I must have at least around 10.

I run litecoin-qt v0.8.7.5. I prefer a simple Windows GUI when available.

Tried 'getpeerinfo' and got a bunch of info, but no mention of litecoinpool. Should I be looking for a specific IP? Would you like me to post the response?

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 01:03:30 AM »
Tried 'getpeerinfo' and got a bunch of info, but no mention of litecoinpool. Should I be looking for a specific IP? Would you like me to post the response?

Yeah, could you PM me the results of that commands. Lots of IP addresses that come are associated with Litecoinpool.

Offline Mr Fusion

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:12 PM »
Would it help if I just installed a client on my server? It's online 24/7, it's upload speed is not that fast though only 1.3Mbit...

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »
Would it help if I just installed a client on my server? It's online 24/7, it's upload speed is not that fast though only 1.3Mbit...

1.3Mbit is fine. But could you check how many connections you have and then reply with it.

Offline v3ra1ynn

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
We need a site which shows a map of all the supernodes that would be cool.

Something like this mate?

https://bitinfocharts.com/litecoin/nodes/

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
Something like this mate?

https://bitinfocharts.com/litecoin/nodes/

Sadly those aren't supernodes. Finding all the nodes on the Litecoin network is quite easy, whilst fullnodes are another thing.
Also, I would love for Litecoin to have ~10,000 node - that would be more than Bitcoin.