Author Topic: Litecoin Supernodes'  (Read 16511 times)

Offline losh11

• Litecoin Association Member
  • Litecoin is Platinum Isotope 190 to Bitcoin's Gold
    • Bitch, here's my site.
Litecoin Supernodes'
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:51 PM »
What is a Litecoin Supernode?

Litecoin supernodes are servers which are running the Litecoin Core software 24/7. They purpose is to broadcast transactions across the network amongst the entire network - so that miners are able to process transactions. In more technical terms, they relay Litecoin transactions. They are the equivalent of Bitcoin full nodes.

Why should you run a supernode?
  • As you may have recently heard, Bitcoin is facing a huge decline in the number of full nodes - we don't want that.
  • Help keep the network decentralised.
  • Learn something more 'complicated' networking and improve your skills

Currently there are no incentives (in payment) for running these nodes, but I am sure that the development team will find a way to help us something in return. Bitcoin shows us an example of what happens if we can't find a way to repay those who help keep these nodes running, mainly because getting access to good VPS services or servers can be costly. But, lets see what the dev team think.

Okay, I'm interested. How can I help?

Just copy and paste this one line of code - make sure you are logged in as root (type 'sudo su' first)
confirmed to work on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Amazon's latest Linux distro.

Code: [Select]
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/litecoin-association/LitecoinNode/master/linux.sh -P /root/ ; bash /root/linux.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/install.log
Currently there a poorly written and very complicated tutorial here, but I will attempt to update that with simpler instructions. This includes a video tutorial, and a simple one line script that you will have to paste into your terminal.

Requirements
  • A system running a flavour of Linux (can be a VPS or a physical server)
  • At least a 2 megabit upload
  • Server running 24/7
  • Basic skills to follow a tutorial
  • Very limited troubleshooting skills - ask us if you need help

List of all Litecoin Supernodes that I am currently hosting.

I am adding more right now!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:00:29 PM by losh11 »

Offline Bossman

• Hardcore Member
  • In Coblee we trust
Re: Litecoin Supernodes'
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
We need a site which shows a map of all the supernodes that would be cool.

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:00:05 AM »
We need a site which shows a map of all the supernodes that would be cool.

Was actually planning that. Making a site for litecoin at litecoin.loshan.co.uk, pretty much nothing there - because of me experimenting on EC2. Way to go on loosing a lot of money on that crap.

Also if anyone has any experience in server management and similar things, I need finding 64GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM sticks. Not sure if they are available though.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
If I had the bandwidth Id set this up. Hopefully I can get some nice 100mb cable in the near future...

Would the Windows instructions be much different?

Offline wiggl3r

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:35 PM »
What is the point of setting up a supernode other than just setting one up? ( herpa derp i know nodes help with the ledger)

Offline busto

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
What is the point of setting up a supernode other than just setting one up? ( herpa derp i know nodes help with the ledger)
So you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside

How much bandwidth is needed to run a full node?

Offline Totscha

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »
So you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Anything over 56k dial-up is overkill ;)

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:42:24 PM »
If I had the bandwidth Id set this up. Hopefully I can get some nice 100mb cable in the near future...

Would the Windows instructions be much different?

Yes please do try your best to set it up.
I'd just finished making the Linux video tutorial.
I do have access to Azure, but yes you are correct - the instructions will be different, but I'll see if it is possible to do that.

If people decide not to host supernodes, Litecoin will become more centralised and also much easier to take down (due to the small number of nodes).

10mbps uplink. Not too sure, but some bitcoin node people said it was around 100GB transfer, but I don't think that's correct.
Let me check... I think it would usually be at around 10GB a month.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:04:55 PM by losh11 »

Offline Carnth

• Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 01:39:51 AM »

This can vary wildly.

The reason is: sometimes you can get a brand new client that connects to your node and starts downloading from block 1. When this happens a couple times in a row you can burn through some bandwidth.
But most of the time your node will just be passing transactions and blocks to other node.

The same reason that Google has multiple datacenters around the world: redundancy.
Redundancy makes Litecoin stronger. If one node goes down, its OK if there are hundreds of other nodes to pick up the slack. This is part of "decentralization" that you keep hearing about.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
So whats the difference between a supernode and a normal client? Just the number of connections? If so then if there are a lot of normal clients out there why the need for supernodes?

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
So whats the difference between a supernode and a normal client? Just the number of connections? If so then if there are a lot of normal clients out there why the need for supernodes?

Normal client are pretty much just leeching, supernodes are running 24/7 with an updated version of the blockchain, and are able to receive incoming data. Therefore allowing it to relay transactions.

Offline Carnth

• Elite Member
  • Litecoin Association
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
So whats the difference between a supernode and a normal client?

Normal clients are not expected to be online for extended periods of time (I'm talking months). Usually clients just get online when the user opens their wallet, sync, make a transaction or two and then are gone when the wallet is closed.

"Supernodes" are more or less just a name given to nodes that are setup in a server environment and are supposed to be online 24/7 with very good connectivity.  Not everyone has the resources to meet these needs.

Supernodes server the needs of clients. This is why we need more of them.

If you have the resources to host a supernode, we are asking for you to do so. You can even run a node on a VPS.

Offline losh11

• Bitch, here's my site.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »

If you have the resources to host a supernode, we are asking for you to do so. You can even run a node on a VPS.

Most supernodes are ran on a VPS. There are very easy method to install them, including one line scripts.
I will soon add my one line script to github and give the 'magic line'. All you will have to do, it past it into terminal or cmd, then open port 9333.

Just saying, it might be on just my end, but has the site CSS gone down? I don't have anything here.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought the normal clients relayed transactions...

Offline ThomasFX

• Litecoin Enthusiast
    • Litecoin
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 10:35:34 PM »
Don't forget: you can speed up the initial block syncing by using the bootstrap.dat file.

Get it from the wiki page: https://litecoin.info/Bootstrap.dat

If possible, download the torrent file instead of the direct download link. Then, keep seeding it for a while. My server had close to 900GB in bandwidth the past month for the bootstrap.dat file alone ;)