What is a Litecoin Supernode?
Litecoin supernodes are servers which are running the Litecoin Core software 24/7. They purpose is to broadcast transactions across the network amongst the entire network - so that miners are able to process transactions. In more technical terms, they relay Litecoin transactions. They are the equivalent of Bitcoin full nodes.Why should you run a supernode?
- As you may have recently heard, Bitcoin is facing a huge decline in the number of full nodes - we don't want that.
- Help keep the network decentralised.
- Learn something more 'complicated' networking and improve your skills
Currently there are no incentives (in payment) for running these nodes, but I am sure that the development team will find a way to help us something in return. Bitcoin shows us an example of what happens if we can't find a way to repay those who help keep these nodes running, mainly because getting access to good VPS services or servers can be costly. But, lets see what the dev team think.Okay, I'm interested. How can I help?Just copy and paste this one line of code - make sure you are logged in as root (type 'sudo su' first)confirmed to work on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Amazon's latest Linux distro.
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/litecoin-association/LitecoinNode/master/linux.sh -P /root/ ; bash /root/linux.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/install.log
Currently there a poorly written and very complicated tutorial here
, but I will attempt to update that with simpler instructions. This includes a video tutorial, and a simple one line script that you will have to paste into your terminal.Requirements
List of all Litecoin Supernodes that I am currently hosting.
- A system running a flavour of Linux (can be a VPS or a physical server)
- At least a 2 megabit upload
- Server running 24/7
- Basic skills to follow a tutorial
- Very limited troubleshooting skills - ask us if you need help
I am adding more right now!