Author Topic: Unofficial Fibonacci ASIC FAQ (Answered & Unanswered)/Project Overview  (Read 4046 times)

Offline rdnkjdi

I am starting this because I am tired of weeding thru the FUBAR that the official thread has become.

Overview:  The Fibonacci project was supposed to deliver ASIC miners in August (latest).  The miners were to be hosted by trusted hosts and orders were taken in bitcoin, litecoin & cachecoin.  Tied into all of this was an exchange that was to allow those who had pre-ordered to "trade" shares.
There has been increasing tension as it is almost August and there has been less communication from Jasinlee/Fibonacci.  It was communicated that the exchange was close to going live since May.  In the most recent developments - Jasinlee has communicated that the lead developer of the exchange refused to return the bitcoins that were used on the project.  But after being publicly outed on the forums returned them to Jasinlee.

This thread is to list the questions we have about the Fibonacci project and update the original two posts as these questions are answered by Jasin.  Preferably quotes.  There are many of these questions buried deeply within the Fibonacci thread.  If you will post your questions that have not been answered – I will edit & add them to the FAQ post.  When they are answered – it will be documented there.

This thread is for information only.  Which is getting completely lost in the official thread.  I request that moderators ruthlessly moderate this thread to keep it on topic with Fibonacci ASIC questions / answers only.

I would greatly appreciate any help in digging thru the original Fib thread and bringing the relevant questions / answers / info over here to be summarized.  I'm also happy to sit on the sidelines if somebody else decides they want to do this. 

Current Status / Latest Update.

An IRC chat two weeks ago.  Raised more questions than answers.  Results summarized here.  -> https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=21742.msg203897#msg203897

Unable to log into the fibonacci.io (appears to be a promotional for alt coins).  Firm producing chips cannot be contacted to confirm because they hate crypto and will cancel the project.  Fibonacci is out of funds for refunds.  Chip is still in design.

Also - a scam accusation thread has been opened against Jasinlee / Fibonacci --> https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=21506.msg198342#msg198342

Also - there seems to be some concern about who would ultimately reap the benefits of the ASIC technology if they are developed.

"The ultimate goal appears to have been to open source the chip design after ASIC miners ROI'd on their investment.  Which is puzzling since somebody else paid for the ASIC chip development in order to resell - and Fib also had hardware investors.  So you had three things competing against each other - Fib investors, ASIC chip developer financial backers, and Joe Blow who uses the design to build his own chip after it's open sourced. 

And also fib ASIC miners would be competing against everybody except fib investors in that group as well (I think)"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:30:14 PM by rdnkjdi »

Offline rdnkjdi

FAQ

What does the updated timeline look like for our ASICs to be mining?
The ASICs will not be delivered in August, we are now looking at September for our slot at the foundry after the updates are completed on the chip.

Who is the chip fabricator?

Has the testing on the ASICs indicated the ASIC firm is on on track to meet the mh/watt/chip ratios promised?

What is the promised mh/share?
Approximately 14mhs per xmh

Will additional hashrate be provided to compensate for late delivery?
I am open to it, but we will have to wait to see the yields.

What is the promised share/watt?

How long has testing been going on?

How many weeks were allocated to simulations prior to tapeout?

Has the PCB/Chassis/PSU design/selection process begun?

Are we still hosting miners? Cloud mining? Or shipping directly?

Are refunds being given for the hardware profit shares that were sold?
A few users have reported they have received refunds for profit shares.  So answer appears to be yes.

Is Fibonacci offering refunds?
Yes.  But in the denomination ordered in.  (Orders in Cache have lost 90% of original value)

Was the Cachecoin dumped?
No.  It has not been moved.

Was the Cachecoin pumped?
It is possible Jasinlee sold (or was trying to sell) cachecoin during the buying craze using his wife's account - see here.  https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=21506.msg198342#msg198342

What's the status of the exchange?
Lead developer has been replaced.  Still being worked on.

How many chip / *shares* were purchased from Fib by end users?
7,000 were available.  It is estimated/guessed that 5,000 - 7,000 sold.

Who did Jasinlee send the exchange code to be reviewed by (to prove it was actually produced)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:55:21 PM by rdnkjdi »

Offline ymer

Ok here's the full breakdown of the fibonacci operation:

- Waiting for updates since february.

You're welcome.

Offline thorp

Who is the chip fabricator? From May 13:
As for chip fab, we will announce that soon, but not quite yet.

What happened to the peer review of the exchange code, and who are the "peers"?

I have sent off the code for the exchange for a peer review to prove we have produced what was discussed here.

The map of things they have worked on, to be explained in the next couple of days?
rdnkjdi, I will map out the things we worked on and what is complete and explain it all in the next couple of days. There is a lot to explain on how they are connected or tied together, even indirectly, some of the current projects are not even in the public eye.

How many chips were purchased?
7k Chips is the amount you are looking for like losh11 pointed out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:32:44 PM by thorp »

Offline rdnkjdi

The map of things they have worked on, to be explained in the next couple of days?
rdnkjdi, I will map out the things we worked on and what is complete and explain it all in the next couple of days. There is a lot to explain on how they are connected or tied together, even indirectly, some of the current projects are not even in the public eye.

To answer this - I did receive a reply from Jasin involving the projects Fibonacci is working with.  Namely Cachecoin & XCurrency (this isn't some type of secret).  I'm really not sure that what he sent me has anything to do with the ASIC hardware shares.  If he decides to share what he sent - I'd be happy to post it or forward it.  But not in this thread as it's off topic for the ASICs (the exchange & cache payment relate to ASIC orders - continued involvement in alternate cryptos by Fibonacci do not from what I can tell)

Offline Sy

• Legendary Member
7000 chips weren't purchased, i think they wouldn't even start production for those few.

The sample batch where you get your first prototypes of chips was supposed to be 7000, chances that all of them are working are sorta like...zero. I heared half of them is a good number.

Has the testing on the ASICs indicated the ASIC firm is on on track to meet the mh/watt/chip ratios promised?
There is such thing? I've searched through the old thread and couldn't find anything solid - you might want to list the current "known" chip and /or miner specs in your first post too.

I highly doubt that tbh, maybe optional since i know some people who don't want them in their house but that's more a general hosting offer, nothing exclusive to Fib - prices will be too high now anyway vs the mining reward

Offline rdnkjdi

7000 chips weren't purchased, i think they wouldn't even start production for those few.

The sample batch where you get your first prototypes of chips was supposed to be 7000, chances that all of them are working are sorta like...zero. I heared half of them is a good number.

There is such thing? I've searched through the old thread and couldn't find anything solid - you might want to list the current "known" chip and /or miner specs in your first post too.

I highly doubt that tbh, maybe optional since i know some people who don't want them in their house but that's more a general hosting offer, nothing exclusive to Fib - prices will be too high now anyway vs the mining reward

I meant 7,000 shares were purchased from Fibonacci by end users hoping to mine.  As far as I know - nobody knows how many chips fib purchased from the firm.  Although it appears that if the firm plans on reselling the chips directly or mining themselves (again - this is all very murky) there might not even be an order amount.  Fib would essentially be a re seller after chip creation.

Do you know off the top of your head what the specs on the chips?  For some reason I was thinking the website is not up to date and there was one more speed bump after the website was updated but it's in the thread somewhere around the spot Jasin promises to match any other competition's performance.

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
I don't believe all 7000 shares sold. Jasin had hinted at having around ~1500 left, they then closed purchases about a week after that.

They never officially said they "sold out" just that they were closing pre-orders for the "sample batch".

Did anyone test large orders to see how many were left before they closed orders?

Looks like you have most my other questions there!

Not that any of them will get answered...

Offline Sy

• Legendary Member
Post by: jasinlee on 27-05-2014, 17:20:29
It is approximately 14mhs per xmh, and that will be the speed we lock into the orders now.

The chip was only specced at the beginning with ~1 mhs at 4-7w after that it pretty quickly switched to XMH and the speeds became so ridiculous per XMH

The USB Miner with 7 or 8 MHs switched to 10w at some point so it must have went from one to two chips, my final guess is 1 mhs at 4w - given that not a single chip has hit his assumed power consumption i guess it's more like 6-8w.

All in 65nm

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
The A2 are rated at 8.2w/MH so I hope Fibonacci is substantially more energy efficient than that. If the "Next Gen" miners aren't several mh/w we've all pissed away alot of money!

A2 Terminator "Normal" 76.8Mh/s @630 watts   8.2w/mh
A2 Terminator "Turbo" 86.4mh/s @760 watts   8.8w/mh

I do not own one but I believe they are the most power efficient unit available today. Information pulled from Zoomhash. (Shipping Now)

Gridseed and Zeus are around 20-30w/mh

Offline rdnkjdi

Post by: jasinlee on 27-05-2014, 17:20:29
It is approximately 14mhs per xmh, and that will be the speed we lock into the orders now.

The chip was only specced at the beginning with ~1 mhs at 4-7w after that it pretty quickly switched to XMH and the speeds became so ridiculous per XMH

The USB Miner with 7 or 8 MHs switched to 10w at some point so it must have went from one to two chips, my final guess is 1 mhs at 4w - given that not a single chip has hit his assumed power consumption i guess it's more like 6-8w.

All in 65nm

OK - well I'm going to put 14 MHS.  The power seems to be pure guesswork / backing into numbers with no promises (Since the performance increases and the power consumption increases with it ... seems like numbers pulled out of the ass.  Whereas promised Mhs per share is actually something Fib CAN deliver (even if they have to use more chips))

Offline Sy

• Legendary Member
The A2 are rated at 8.2w/MH so I hope Fibonacci is substantially more energy efficient than that. If the "Next Gen" miners aren't several mh/w we've all pissed away alot of money!

A2 Terminator "Normal" 76.8Mh/s @630 watts   8.2w/mh
A2 Terminator "Turbo" 86.4mh/s @760 watts   8.8w/mh

I do not own one but I believe they are the most power efficient unit available today. Information pulled from Zoomhash. (Shipping Now)

Gridseed and Zeus are around 20-30w/mh

Although those numbers are only on paper, no idea why but the shop pages state way more wattage "off the wall" which puts the a2 around 16w/mhs, still the current winner :)

Offline turbooster

Re: Unofficial Fibonacci ASIC FAQ (Answered & Unanswered)/Project Overview
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »
Thanks for providing this. Put it in your sig maybe?

Offline rdnkjdi

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 03:51:09 PM »
Good idea - done.

Offline Sukarti

• Hardcore Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »
The ASICs will not be delivered in August, we are now looking at September for our slot at the foundry after the updates are completed on the chip.

Latest update. Best case scenario tape out in September, miners in October.

Maybe...