Author Topic: [StarMiner] - ARM controller image for your ASIC mining needs!  (Read 71203 times)

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
Re: [StarMiner] - ARM controller image for your ASIC mining needs!
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2014, 03:29:53 AM »
Thanks.  I will try it and let you know.  I'll also run my asic on your startest account for at least 4 hours to thank you after I get it running.  Hopefully it generates sufficient LTC. I'll periodically do it thereafter (I do for PiMP OS developers too).

Thanks for the generosity Forceflow! 8)  It is indeed quite appreciated. :)

Happy and profitable mining to all!

Offline Forceflow

• Elite Member
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2014, 03:40:10 AM »
Thanks.  I will try it and let you know.  I'll also run my asic on your startest account for at least 4 hours to thank you after I get it running.  Hopefully it generates sufficient LTC. I'll periodically do it thereafter (I do for PiMP OS developers too).

Thanks for the generosity Forceflow! 8)  It is indeed quite appreciated. :)

Happy and profitable mining to all!

We're a community.  If fewer people free rode, we'll be a good community.  Open source doesn't mean free for all either.  I respect your contributions to the community and this is one way I can demonstrate that respect.

Offline werwohl

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
Regarding exiting via SSH and the "killing off" the screen session of startest, that should not be happening.  This is due to startest is using screen which will have the miner application run in the background of a session.  Could you open up a second SSH terminal, log into the StarMiner system, and run htop, the with F3 (Search) for "mine" in this second session, the repeat startest in the first SSH terminal session?  What is the result of such?  Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I'll try that on the weekend. Regarding the multiple miners, should I change the scan-time and add scan-serial string with all ports? At least it seems to work for others.. Maybe the best is to wait for an update ;) Would be also nice to see the number of devices in the GUI.

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2014, 05:20:15 AM »
Regarding exiting via SSH and the "killing off" the screen session of startest, that should not be happening.  This is due to startest is using screen which will have the miner application run in the background of a session.  Could you open up a second SSH terminal, log into the StarMiner system, and run htop, the with F3 (Search) for "mine" in this second session, the repeat startest in the first SSH terminal session?  What is the result of such?  Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I'll try that on the weekend. Regarding the multiple miners, should I change the scan-time and add scan-serial string with all ports? At least it seems to work for others.. Maybe the best is to wait for an update ;) Would be also nice to see the number of devices in the GUI.

werwohl:
Regarding the scan-time and scan-serial, I suspect (though I cannot confirm nor deny here) you could keep the scan-time entry "as is", but you might need to add the additional ASIC units accordingly with scan-serial (e.g., have /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 for x2 Zeus Miner or GAW ASIC units).  Feel free to try this out and report back accordingly.

The update with the various Zeus Miner (= GAW rebranded) and Gridseed configurations is being reviewed (we had to adjust some of our scripts accordingly here).  By default, each of the various ASIC unit configuration will be for just one (1) ASIC unit.  If you have more, you will need to manually add in accordingly as noted above with this version of cgminer for the Zeus Miners (= GAW rebranded) ASIC units.  I suspect it will be over this weekend before we are finished with it since we want to account for any/all possible scenarios here of someone doing something with one of the StarMiner commands (on the command line that is).  So adding in now x2 configurations for Gridseed ASIC units, x3 configurations for Zeus Miner ASIC units, and x4 configurations for GAW rebranded ASIC units...you get the idea. ;) 

You may note that I did mentioned x3 configurations for Zeus Miner, yet Zeus Miner's web site has x5 ASIC units.  Also note, Zeus Miner has on their site a 15 June 2014 expected shipping date.  Thus, we are speculating the configurations for the Thunder X3 and Hurricane X2 units to parallel with certain GAW Miner rebranded units here.  Note: This is a guess and speculation only!  Upon receiving further information from the community of those who have this ASIC units "in hand", we will adjust and update accordingly.  Since none of these ASIC units are out (to our knowledge at least  ::) )...please do NOT use them randomly!  If you have doubt, do ask here please.  Hence the naming conventions being used should be simple to figure out and associate with "gaw-fury.conf" being the "GAW Fury ASIC", "gs-mini.conf" being the "Gridseed Mini ASIC" (that round deal we actually have here ;) ), so on and so forth. :)

The webUI and number of devices (noted previously) is due to the version of cgminer being used the GAW rebranded Zeus Miner units is "dated" with an older API.  The webUI (which comes from starlilyth's Linux-SeedManager GitHub project) was written based off of more currently APIs that are parallel to recent versions of both cgminer and bfgminer from my understanding.  This same issue holds true for the Scriptor 8X FPGA unit with StarMiner as well.  We are looking into it and understand that desire for such as well.  I would actually pass the issue to Zeus Miner and GAW Miner shipping and pitching an "older" or "dated" version of cgminer to run their ASIC units versus using the more recent versions available via Github to anyone who can browse and surf the internet (which is ironic due to GAW Miner stems from being an ISP company "in a previous life" is my understanding  ::) ;)).

Offline Forceflow

• Elite Member
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2014, 01:48:32 AM »
Did some research after this would not start mining, I think my USB 3.0 hub isn't recognized by raspberry pi model b.  Shucks.  I'll get a replacement hub in the next day or two. In the meanwhile, I've gotta stick with win8.

Offline ATCkit

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2014, 02:27:09 AM »
you may want to go this site to find a hub that is compatible:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs#Raspberry_Pi_Specific_Hubs

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
Did some research after this would not start mining, I think my USB 3.0 hub isn't recognized by raspberry pi model b.  Shucks.  I'll get a replacement hub in the next day or two. In the meanwhile, I've gotta stick with win8.

Most USB 3.0 hubs are not RasPi friendly unfortunately.   :( :-\

Did you try plugging the ASIC directly into the RasPi by chance?  There are x2 USB 2.0 ports on it after all. ;)

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2014, 02:46:02 AM »

Thanks for sharing the information there.  Good form and nicely done sir. :) 8)

Offline Forceflow

• Elite Member
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2014, 02:52:42 AM »

Thanks ATCKit, I will use that.  I have 7 miners, so directly into the Pi won't really take care of the issue.  I will just get a hub and try again soon.  I hope I can give this a try on Monday.

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 03:05:41 AM »

Thanks ATCKit, I will use that.  I have 7 miners, so directly into the Pi won't really take care of the issue.  I will just get a hub and try again soon.  I hope I can give this a try on Monday.

Ah, that does make sense.  You can at least try x2 miners on StarMiner though in the mean time until the replacement hub arrives though. ;)

Offline schnauzr

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
By default, each of the various ASIC unit configuration will be for just one (1) ASIC unit.  If you have more, you will need to manually add in accordingly as noted above with this version of cgminer for the Zeus Miners (= GAW rebranded) ASIC units.

Hi, you could just build in a serial search into the .conf file like this

Code: [Select]
"scan-serial" : [
"/dev/ttyUSB0",
"/dev/ttyUSB1",
"/dev/ttyUSB2",
"/dev/ttyUSB3",
"/dev/ttyUSB4",
"/dev/ttyUSB5",
"/dev/ttyUSB6",
"/dev/ttyUSB7",
"/dev/ttyUSB8",
"/dev/ttyUSB9"
],

or like this

Code: [Select]
"scan-serial" : "/dev/ttyUSB0,/dev/ttyUSB1,/dev/ttyUSB2,/dev/ttyUSB3,/dev/ttyUSB4,/dev/ttyUSB5,/dev/ttyUSB6,/dev/ttyUSB7,/dev/ttyUSB8,/dev/ttyUSB9",

That way, only if a user has more than 10 ASICs do they have to manually configure the serial ports.  Otheriwise they'll be up and running with multiple ASICs and not have to touch a thing.  This is what zenminer does, searches for up to 10 devices by default, although as a command-line argument instead of in the .conf

Offline worldlybedouin

• Elite Member
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »
Does StarMiner work out of the box for WiFi dongles?  Specifically I have the Edimax EW-7811Un. 

Offline ATCkit

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »

I got 7 too. I have the mist recommended hub (ie: http://thepihut.com/products/7-port-usb-hub-for-the-raspberry-pi )  but it can only handle 5 effectively. The other 2 blizzards are running on my Windows PC. If anyone has a better hub that can handle more than 5 effectively, pls let me know. I want to get the other 2 off my Windows PC to put my-Fib recursions on it when they come in.

Offline ATCkit

Re: Request for input: Specific ASIC mining profiles
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
After some discussions with various StarMiner followers (or "groupies" ;) 8) ), the StarMiner crew is pondering making specific ASIC unit profiles.  For example, there would be a profile for the Gridseed Mini, the Gridseed Blade, the Zeus Miner Blizzard, and so on and so forth.  This is to help simplify the "plug and mine" as well as "set it and forget it" (from Raw-H recently even   ;D ) mindset so that it is...well, that "simple" (hopefully).

Input is appreciated.  A simple "yes" (+1) or "no" (-1) style response will work.

Thanks in advance.

+1

Offline ruudniet

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2014, 11:30:13 PM »
Tried the last image as well on the zeusminer blizzards which are the official makers of these ( they are sold by gawminer being rebranded by them as theirs )
However after several tries they are not found, then i tried to get my gs blades to run with this image which also did not do anything they simply where not found.
I do not like the image as it is now ESPECIALLY since it did not allow me to change the LOCKED donation pool.
When i tried to put in my pools it constant refreshed so i could not even put in 1 pool from myself.
Gladly it totally did not start, second i do not like the miner connecting to your server especially because i can not see what your up to with that.
So i think i leave it at that