Author Topic: [StarMiner] - ARM controller image for your ASIC mining needs!  (Read 68533 times)

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
Regarding HW errors with Zeus Miner devices
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
Folks:

From my recent reading (and even a post) on the Zeus Miner thread, it seems that cgminer for Zeus Miner and/or the Zeus Miner ASIC devices are indeed producing a relatively high number of "HW error" messages.  I am also reading that the power consumption is higher than noted specs on Zeus Miner's (and thus, GAW Miner's, etc., etc.) web sites.

I will request the supporters of StarMiner to post their experiences (positive and/or negative) with Zeus Miner on their forum thread so that as a community, vendors will either (1) start supporting and backing their projects; or (2) just not peddle "poor quality" to begin with.  Yes, this might seem to be a "put up, or shut up" (pardon the US English slang phrase to our foreign supporters here ;) ), which in fact...it is.  I will not go out on a "rant" here for now, but in short, Linux ETC made StarMiner due to the lack of proper ASIC mining controllers out there and hardware vendors not wish nor desiring to provide such accordingly. :)

For what it is worth.

LinuxETC

Offline Raw-H

Re: [StarMiner] - ARM controller image for your ASIC mining needs!
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »

Running stable for 20 hours straight now. Very pleased I can "set & forget" it.

edit: screenshot doenst seem to load. So, here comes my stats:

1.37 Mh/s
2955 total accepted shares
34 total rejected shares
1.138% reject ratio   
141 HW Errors
1332.20 Work Utility
Uptime: 20:04
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:28:35 PM by Raw-H »

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »

1.37 Mh/s
34 total rejected shares
1.138% reject ratio   
141 HW Errors
1332.20 Work Utility

Raw-H try uploading the images to Imgur and using the links there.  We have needed to do similar for most of our postings to the various forums, and have been quite pleased with the consistent results in using their service. :)

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
Request for input: Specific ASIC mining profiles
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 04:08:29 PM »
After some discussions with various StarMiner followers (or "groupies" ;) 8) ), the StarMiner crew is pondering making specific ASIC unit profiles.  For example, there would be a profile for the Gridseed Mini, the Gridseed Blade, the Zeus Miner Blizzard, and so on and so forth.  This is to help simplify the "plug and mine" as well as "set it and forget it" (from Raw-H recently even   ;D ) mindset so that it is...well, that "simple" (hopefully).

Input is appreciated.  A simple "yes" (+1) or "no" (-1) style response will work.

Thanks in advance.

Offline worldlybedouin

• Elite Member
Re: Request for input: Specific ASIC mining profiles
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
After some discussions with various StarMiner followers (or "groupies" ;) 8) ), the StarMiner crew is pondering making specific ASIC unit profiles.  For example, there would be a profile for the Gridseed Mini, the Gridseed Blade, the Zeus Miner Blizzard, and so on and so forth.  This is to help simplify the "plug and mine" as well as "set it and forget it" (from Raw-H recently even   ;D ) mindset so that it is...well, that "simple" (hopefully).

Input is appreciated.  A simple "yes" (+1) or "no" (-1) style response will work.

Thanks in advance.

+1

Offline Raw-H

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

1.37 Mh/s
34 total rejected shares
1.138% reject ratio   
141 HW Errors
1332.20 Work Utility

Raw-H try uploading the images to Imgur and using the links there.  We have needed to do similar for most of our postings to the various forums, and have been quite pleased with the consistent results in using their service. :)

Thanks, that worked :)

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »

May I hear from the crowd an applause please? ;) 8)  Nicely done and thanks for the verification of "proof of concept" Raw-H.

However...(and we know the reason here), there is a minor issue with the API version of cgminer being used for the Zeus Miner and the webUI.  Thus, a "0 of 0 ASIC" will be showing and the individual ASIC unit itself will not be shown between the pool and graph areas on the Overview page unfortunately.  I have contacted several community developers and we are looking into this since it seems Zeus Miner is a bit "lacking" on their support here.  ::) :-\ :'(

Offline werwohl

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
This is a great tool!
But after hours of despair I am giving up on starting my Lightning package (consists of 4x cyclones).
When I start through the GUI on a fresh image one device is working (USB0). It is not possible to edit the config file via GUI. After I SSH as root and change the chips count and add the scan-serial part (both in cgminer.conf and startest.conf) I cannot start via GUI, neither it is possible to start through startest.

The only way I could get all devices working was through starting cgminer from the console and setting -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -S /dev/ttyUSB1 ...

Also, the startest command is working fine without prior editing the configfiles, but mining seems to be terminated after closing the SSH connection. For now I a have startet cgminer for all devices via keyboard as workaround but I am missing the GUI of course :(

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »
This is a great tool!
But after hours of despair I am giving up on starting my Lightning package (consists of 4x cyclones).
When I start through the GUI on a fresh image one device is working (USB0). It is not possible to edit the config file via GUI. After I SSH as root and change the chips count and add the scan-serial part (both in cgminer.conf and startest.conf) I cannot start via GUI, neither it is possible to start through startest.

The only way I could get all devices working was through starting cgminer from the console and setting -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -S /dev/ttyUSB1 ...

Also, the startest command is working fine without prior editing the configfiles, but mining seems to be terminated after closing the SSH connection. For now I a have startet cgminer for all devices via keyboard as workaround but I am missing the GUI of course :(

As I asked earlier (though it seems this is indeed a needed item ;) ), I will be looking into making some configuration profiles for each specific ASIC unit (e.g., Gridseed Mini, Gridseed Blade, Zeus Miner Blizzard, etc.) to help with this issue.  "In theory", all one would have to do then is add in some additional scan-time argument values (i.e., /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, etc.) to account for the multiple Zeus Miner ASIC unit count/quantity via editing the appropriate configuration file.

Regarding exiting via SSH and the "killing off" the screen session of startest, that should not be happening.  This is due to startest is using screen which will have the miner application run in the background of a session.  Could you open up a second SSH terminal, log into the StarMiner system, and run htop, the with F3 (Search) for "mine" in this second session, the repeat startest in the first SSH terminal session?  What is the result of such?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Forceflow

• Elite Member
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
Can I run 7 Blizzards using this and a RPi Model B?  I have a fully powered USB hub and a 32GB Class 10 SD card.

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2014, 12:24:19 AM »
Can I run 7 Blizzards using this and a RPi Model B?  I have a fully powered USB hub and a 32GB Class 10 SD card.

Forceflow, unknown to be honest since we (Linux ETC) do not have an actual Zeus Miner Blizzard "in hand" here.  You are welcome to try it out, and yes, we are open to assisting accordingly and time permitting. :) 8)  You will need to modify the current configuration file for Zeus Miner to account for all seven of your Blizzard ASIC units, though perhaps doing a slow build up to all seven might be in order to "make sure it works" as well.

I personally do admit, I would not mind seeing such work as well. ;)  Has anyone tried multiple Zeus Miner Blizzards so far, and if so, your findings?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Forceflow

• Elite Member
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »

Forceflow, unknown to be honest since we (Linux ETC) do not have an actual Zeus Miner Blizzard "in hand" here.  You are welcome to try it out, and yes, we are open to assisting accordingly and time permitting. :) 8)  You will need to modify the current configuration file for Zeus Miner to account for all seven of your Blizzard ASIC units, though perhaps doing a slow build up to all seven might be in order to "make sure it works" as well.

I personally do admit, I would not mind seeing such work as well. ;)  Has anyone tried multiple Zeus Miner Blizzards so far, and if so, your findings?  Thanks in advance.

I literally just got my Pi ordered, it will arrive tomorrow and I will img a SD card and let you know what happens.  Does it integrate in Lily's poolmanager with my GPU rigs?

Offline Richard S

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 02:06:27 AM »
 :-\

sorry wrong thread

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:10:15 AM by Richard S »

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »
I literally just got my Pi ordered, it will arrive tomorrow and I will img a SD card and let you know what happens.  Does it integrate in Lily's poolmanager with my GPU rigs?

Per memory, yes.

Offline Forceflow

• Elite Member
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2014, 02:41:42 AM »

Per memory, yes.

Thanks.  I will try it and let you know.  I'll also run my asic on your startest account for at least 4 hours to thank you after I get it running.  Hopefully it generates sufficient LTC. I'll periodically do it thereafter (I do for PiMP OS developers too).