Author Topic: [StarMiner] - ARM controller image for your ASIC mining needs!  (Read 66862 times)

Offline SkeeterSkeeter

Re: [StarMiner] - ARM controller image for your ASIC mining needs!
« Reply #420 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Is it possible to use a Zeus Thunder x6 with this software? I had two furies setup just fine, I plugged in the Thunder x6 and it was not recognized. I assume from some other issue on my end which I can work out (I think I need a different PSU setup; tripped the PSU off on startup). I just want to make sure that the latest Jul 14 version supports it?

EDIT: I guess I want to pass on some more information. I am not quite sure if the PSU is faulting, It is a 750W Evga brand new. I think it might have to do with the software. Here is the "starhelpme" pastbin link for my Pi. http://paste.debian.net/122157/. I noticed that the number of chips is defined for the zues asics, I would have to figure that my issue is a software problem seeing that there is not a choice for a x6 which would have a different number of chips than an x3.

So, can I edit one of the configs so that I can start the x6? Possibly just double the chip count?

EDIT 2: It looks like the Thunder x6 actually has 128 chips. I think the issue is that the clock speed that is being used is too high. What I have done is started the miner via the GUI provided from starminer. I chose the thunderx3 http://imgur.com/ft3LoYl  and changed the clock to 250 in the "/etc/miners/zeusminer/zm=thunderx3.conf" http://imgur.com/8TAwcx4. But when I click start within the GUI webpage, then in the terminal call "starsc" to via the CGMiner session, cgminer reports a clock of 342.

How can I confirm what .conf file is being ran by cgminer?

EDIT 3: Well I'm stupid and cannot read, I never pressed the "select" button after changing the combo box selection. Though I still have issues. The correct .conf file is loaded, I called "starsc" and saw a speed of 250. The issue is the hardware errors got to over 1000 within 3 seconds. I know they are supposed to have some but that is a lot more than I would expect.

So I guess back to the original question, is it possible to use a Thunder x6 with StarMiner? If so, what could be the cause of my hardware errors, is there something more to do for the .conf file to get the x6 to run properly?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:08:55 AM by SkeeterSkeeter »

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #421 on: September 24, 2014, 02:27:16 AM »
Is it possible to use a Zeus Thunder x6 with this software? I had two furies setup just fine, I plugged in the Thunder x6 and it was not recognized. I assume from some other issue on my end which I can work out (I think I need a different PSU setup; tripped the PSU off on startup). I just want to make sure that the latest Jul 14 version supports it?

There is no default configuration for the Zeus Miner "Thunder X6" ASIC unit.  You would have to modify one of the other Zeus Miner configuration files accordingly with the number of "Zeus chips" and clock frequency accordingly.

EDIT: I guess I want to pass on some more information. I am not quite sure if the PSU is faulting, It is a 750W Evga brand new. I think it might have to do with the software. Here is the "starhelpme" pastbin link for my Pi. http://paste.debian.net/122157/. I noticed that the number of chips is defined for the zues asics, I would have to figure that my issue is a software problem seeing that there is not a choice for a x6 which would have a different number of chips than an x3.

So, can I edit one of the configs so that I can start the x6? Possibly just double the chip count?

A "guess" is not recommended.  If you know the actual number of chips, that is advisable instead.

EDIT 2: It looks like the Thunder x6 actually has 128 chips. I think the issue is that the clock speed that is being used is too high. What I have done is started the miner via the GUI provided from starminer. I chose the thunderx3 http://imgur.com/ft3LoYl  and changed the clock to 250 in the "/etc/miners/zeusminer/zm=thunderx3.conf" http://imgur.com/8TAwcx4. But when I click start within the GUI webpage, then in the terminal call "starsc" to via the CGMiner session, cgminer reports a clock of 342.

How can I confirm what .conf file is being ran by cgminer?

Via the command line (either local login or via SSH), run htop and look for the mining application running.  This will note which configuration file is being called.

EDIT 3: Well I'm stupid and cannot read, I never pressed the "select" button after changing the combo box selection. Though I still have issues. The correct .conf file is loaded, I called "starsc" and saw a speed of 250. The issue is the hardware errors got to over 1000 within 3 seconds. I know they are supposed to have some but that is a lot more than I would expect.

So I guess back to the original question, is it possible to use a Thunder x6 with StarMiner? If so, what could be the cause of my hardware errors, is there something more to do for the .conf file to get the x6 to run properly?

Sounds like a misconfiguration with the "Zeus chips" number here and/or clock frequency.  Some reviews are noting 128 chips and a clock frequency of 280MHz with ~450W of power use.  Give this a try for the settings and advise accordingly if you would.  We can look at adding this among a few other things into the next release which has been postponed due to a few items on our end with some feature requests.

Happy and profitable mining to all! 8)

Offline SkeeterSkeeter

« Reply #422 on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
Thank you for that information. All in all. I am using windows and a cgminer x6 special binary. It is the only thing that I have found to work for the machine so far.

I the reason the StarMiner image does not work for the machine is that the cgminer is not the x6 special build. Can you confirm or deny this?

I am running the exact same settings currently that I tried with StarMiner. On the windows cgminer x6 special binary it works amazing. <5% HW. When I tried the same settings with StarMiner >1000HW with seconds. This is why I suspect that the cgminer version is not the right one for the machine.

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #423 on: September 26, 2014, 12:10:09 AM »
Thank you for that information. All in all. I am using windows and a cgminer x6 special binary. It is the only thing that I have found to work for the machine so far.

I the reason the StarMiner image does not work for the machine is that the cgminer is not the x6 special build. Can you confirm or deny this?

Talking with dmaxl (who made a separate and more current cgminer for scrypt ASIC mining), Zeus Miner made a specific version of cgminer for the Thunder x6 units.  It has the frequency hard coded at 248MHz as well.  This is a bit unusual and perplexing, but this is the ASIC hardware manufacturer as well.

I am running the exact same settings currently that I tried with StarMiner. On the windows cgminer x6 special binary it works amazing. <5% HW. When I tried the same settings with StarMiner >1000HW with seconds. This is why I suspect that the cgminer version is not the right one for the machine.

See above, since there is cgminer for Windows specific for the Thunder x6 and cgminer via dmaxl's work which are indeed two different versions.

Hopefully this helps clarify the differences a bit. :)

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
"ShellShock" concerns and resolution
« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2014, 01:45:43 AM »
For those concerned about the recent announcement of the bash vulnerability (CVE-2014-6271) in regards to StarMiner, this can be addressed by the following which would be executed on the command line as root (either SSH into StarMiner or via the direct console):

Code: [Select]
aptitude clean;aptitude autoclean;aptitude update;aptitude install bash
Please do note, this is a partial patch or fix at this time since most Linux distributions have not implemented a full patch just yet (including the maintainers of bash itself as of earlier this afternoon, 25 September 2014, US Mountain Time).  So plan on running the above again early next week as well to address this CVE.

Any thoughts or concerns are welcomed to be posted here on the forums accordingly. :)

Offline fiftyways

Unexpected deadlock on WIFI link after CRDA call
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Good Morning World,

From time to time, my rig is no longer reachable through the WIFI, and the shares are not anymore sent to the pools.

My current configuration is :
- Thunder X3 batch II
- Raspberry PI B+
- USB WIFI (802.11 b/g/n) adapter for the Raspberry Pi (ThePiHut)
- Image starminer-03Jul2014
- Option --scan-serial zeus:auto is set (as per Reply #418 above)

Here is a snapshot of the unexpected behavior, seen on the http interface.

When this event happens, all WIFI connexions with the RPI are lost (both SSH and HTTP). The picture above show statistics during the event, but is collected after electrical restart of the RPI (this is why the runtime is 00:03.52 on the image)
Both the accepted shares and the rejected shares fall to zero.

Among possible reason for the stopping, I imagine that the WIFI USB key might go wrong. I cannot use an Ethernet cable (too far from my Internet access router).
It might be due to temporarily interferences in my building, but the issue is that it never recovers on its own. The only way I have today to restaure the mining is to reboot the RPI.

Most often, these events would coincide with a CRDA update request (does not mean that it is the root cause). This call seems to be directed to the Ethernet, which is not connected, and then the system starts dropping Tx packets.
Here follows an extract of /var/log/messages :

Oct  9 06:25:13 starminer rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.11" x-pid="1977" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
Oct  9 20:10:22 starminer kernel: [141465.052027] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Oct  9 20:10:27 starminer kernel: [141469.854515] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: hardware isn't capable of remote wakeup
Oct  9 20:10:27 starminer kernel: [141469.949012] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: hardware isn't capable of remote wakeup
Oct  9 20:10:36 starminer kernel: [141479.087014] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 10 in queue 0
Oct  9 20:10:36 starminer kernel: [141479.087106] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 10 in queue 0
Oct  9 20:10:36 starminer kernel: [141479.087132] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 10 in queue 0

Sometimes the kernel does not call for CRDA update, but drop finally occur:

Sep 16 06:25:14 starminer rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.11" x-pid="1970" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
Sep 16 20:10:56 starminer kernel: [52538.566544] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 1 in queue 2
Sep 16 20:10:56 starminer kernel: [52538.566792] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 1 in queue 2
Sep 16 20:10:56 starminer kernel: [52538.566825] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 1 in queue 2
Sep 16 20:10:57 starminer kernel: [52538.658658] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_txdone: Warning - Got TX status for an empty queue 2, dropping
Sep 16 20:13:08 starminer kernel: [52670.407966] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 11 in queue 0
Sep 16 20:13:08 starminer kernel: [52670.408066] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 11 in queue 0
Sep 16 20:13:08 starminer kernel: [52670.408091] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 11 in queue 0

To overcome this issue, I can write a shell script unloading/reloading the rx2800usb module (or even rebooting the RPI) as soon as a t2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout is raised by the kernel. However I would appreciate understanding the underlying problem and try solve it in a more elegant way.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Offline AHB

« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
Where is the set up information again? The other day I noticed one of miners wasn't hashing. After going through a process of elimination I thought it was due to a bad USB port on my Raspberry Pi, but now I can't load Starminer at all, even by hooking it up to the TV. Installing it again should help determine if my Raspberry Pi is no good.

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2014, 11:35:37 PM »
Where is the set up information again? The other day I noticed one of miners wasn't hashing. After going through a process of elimination I thought it was due to a bad USB port on my Raspberry Pi, but now I can't load Starminer at all, even by hooking it up to the TV. Installing it again should help determine if my Raspberry Pi is no good.

Are you referring to the base configuration files and profiles used by StarMiner or how to install StarMiner from an image onto a SD card?  Our SourceForge Project page, including the Wiki has most of the basics needed.

Offline ATCkit

« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »
@LinuxETC

I started using the July version of Starminer with my Zeus Blizzards yesterday. They're working great on most pools except my favourite- ie: Nicehash.

Is there any chance of getting a version of Starminer that supports the "subscribe extranonce notification"? Here's some info on the topic:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=850620.0

and

https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?p=software#cgminer

Thx :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:24:11 AM by ATCkit »

Offline LinuxETC

• The Linux ETC Company
« Reply #429 on: December 12, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »
@LinuxETC

I started using the July version of Starminer with my Zeus Blizzards yesterday. They're working great on most pools except my favourite- ie: Nicehash.

Is there any chance of getting a version of Starminer that supports the "subscribe extranonce notification"? Here's some info on the

As noted in the BitcoinTalk forum on this same question:

Unfortunately not at this time.  dmaxl's cgminer fork is based from the master branch of cklovias, and I seem to recall that there was a merge request of this feature which was rejected a few days ago from cklovias' master branch.  :-\

Offline Ibarabi

« Reply #430 on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:23 AM »

Running stable for 20 hours straight now. Very pleased I can "set & forget" it.

edit: screenshot doenst seem to load. So, here comes my stats:

1.37 Mh/s
2955 total accepted shares
34 total rejected shares
1.138% reject ratio   
141 HW Errors
1332.20 Work Utility
Uptime: 20:04

Raw-H try uploading the images to imgur.com and using the links there.  We have needed to do similar for most of our postings to the various forums, and have been quite pleased with the consistent results in using their service. :)
I have tried lot of images hosting sites but i think Imgur is one of the best image hosting site and start using this site too for my website 10starmovie for movies posters.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:48:49 AM by Ibarabi »