Author Topic: Electrum-LTC - Lightweight Litecoin Wallet  (Read 121099 times)

Offline mmitech

Re: [BETA] Electrum-LTC - Call for Beta Testers + Public Servers
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 09:57:02 AM »
I am using Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS

That explains it.  See step 2 in README.leveldb.

adding the backport didn't help as well, I additionally compiled and built everything my self but plyvel still doesn't work. there is still couple of things I will try but if they don't work I am ditching ubuntu 12.04 and getting 13.10 installed instead

Offline mmitech

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
finally solved it, to others, don't bother with Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS you will have tons of problems and will be wasting your time on stuff that you shouldn't. Ubuntu 13.10 worked out of the box, although I would like to use a LTS version but this will get things going for now

Offline mmitech

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
pooler, one last question and I think I am good to go ( I just have to download the whole Blockchain and DB).

what does the password = secret  in the Electrum config file refer to ? do I have to set a password there ?

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »
what does the password = secret  in the Electrum config file refer to ? do I have to set a password there ?

That password is currently unused, you can ignore it.

By the way, I realize the documentation is a bit messy in some points. We should probably make pull requests to get the inconsistencies fixed upstream.

Offline mmitech

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »

That password is currently unused, you can ignore it.

By the way, I realize the documentation is a bit messy in some points. We should probably make pull requests to get the inconsistencies fixed upstream.

yes it is a bit hard to follow if you are setting Electrum for the first time, but if you have a unix/linux base knowledge you are good to go. I just hope that I wont face any additional challenges.

I am still deciding if I set pruning limit to 100 or 1000, the server is running on a VM with 4 cores (Xeon processors) and 16GB of ram and 250 GB Vdisk, so what do you think about that ?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:29:18 PM by mmitech »

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 01:29:10 PM »
I am still deciding if I set pruning limit to 100 or 1000, the server is running on a VM with 4 cores (Xeon processors) and 16GB of ram and 250 GB Vdisk, so what do you think about that ?

I think you can set it to 1000 without problems.

Offline mmitech

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:02 PM »
YAY, done, thank you for the help pooler.

Offline mmitech

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
I went forward with testing, so I created a wallet in one PC saved the seed and tried to restore it on another PC, I wrote down the seed words the wallet opened but the receiving window was empty, no address were there, then I went and copied the wallet file and tried it on the other PC and got the addresses back.

note that all addresses had 0 balance, so I don't know if Electrum attempt to look to restore only addresses with balances or this is something to report.

Offline nogreedy

• Litecoin : The official moon currency
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 03:29:02 AM »
I'm testing Win client version with basic functions and it works very well.
Thanks

Offline Abdussamad

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 07:36:44 AM »
I went forward with testing, so I created a wallet in one PC saved the seed and tried to restore it on another PC, I wrote down the seed words the wallet opened but the receiving window was empty, no address were there, then I went and copied the wallet file and tried it on the other PC and got the addresses back.

note that all addresses had 0 balance, so I don't know if Electrum attempt to look to restore only addresses with balances or this is something to report.

When you create a new wallet or restore from seed/mpk, Electrum generates addresses and queries Electrum servers for transaction data about those addresses. Unfortunately if it fails to connect to a server the address generation stops as well. The simplest solution is to delete the wallet file and do the restore again.

Edit: OK so I've tried restoring from seed myself and it doesn't work. Definitely a bug in electrum-ltc. In the meantime if you want to create watch only wallets just use the deseed command via the command line.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:53:07 AM by Abdussamad »

Offline infinitepeace

• Litecoin Association Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
So I am setting up a server late tonight to be of service and to learn.  I am going to put everything here, because frankly, I'm about 40 years old and have never been in any single formal computer related education class in my life.  This is how I learned to mine, and to control multiple miners, self-taught.  However this feels more like jumping in the "deep end of the pool" (no pun intended).

If anyone could take a look at my set up procedure below and tell me if I have made any mistakes that would be great.  I am paying $30 a month to support this server, so we should get the best out of it as a community!

Anyway, if you know this stuff please review, as I have never done this before, ever - below is everything I typed into PuTTy so far, and right now the blockchain is downloading  :):

Sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ssh
apt-get install python-setuptools
python -m easy_install
easy_install pip
sudo apt-get install git-core

sudo adduser litecoin
enter password – *************

su – litecoin

sudo adduser litecoin sudo

mkdir ~/bin ~/src

echo $PATH

ls -la ~/ | more

pico ~/.bashrc
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

mkdir -p ~/electrum-server

git clone https://github.com/pooler/electrum-ltc-server.git electrum-server

su root

sudo apt-get install make g++ python-leveldb libboost-all-dev libssl-dev libdb++-dev pkg-config libminiupnpc-dev git

/Y

su - litecoin

cd litecoin/src

make -f makefile.unix

strip litecoind

cp -a ~/src/litecoin/src/litecoind ~/bin/litecoind

mkdir ~/.litecoin

$EDITOR ~/.litecoin/litecoin.conf

(does not exists!  stumped why this did not work at first)

pico ~/.litecoin/litecoin.conf

(worked!! and saved)

Added-

rpcuser=<rpc-username> actual = ***************
   rpcpassword=<rpc-password> actual = **********************
   daemon=1
   txindex=1
   disablewallet=1

^O
^X

litecoind

“command not found”

ls -l

(the file is there - why won't it run???)

file litecoind

“litecoind: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0x9cd14fe6858038bffd10498c322536581beeb61b, stripped”

./litecoind

“litecoin server starting”

(It worked!!!  Blockchain downloading!!)

Is everything okay so far?  I plan to have this up and running as a permanent Litecoin Electrum server for us during the next week, unless I run into something I cannot figure out, but that is what community is for :).

Cheers!

---edit---

I got the server in Amsterdam because I figured there would be plenty of usa capacity - if you want i can move it just about anywhere bandwidth is needed - please let me know.

Also go easy on me - I am sure this is full of mistakes, but please point them out!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:33:20 AM by infinitepeace »

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
litecoind
“command not found”

(the file is there - why won't it run???)

See here for an explanation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6331075/why-do-you-need-dot-slash-before-script-name-to-run-it-in-bash

Is everything okay so far?

Yes, there are a few redundant commands but it looks fine.

Here are some additional pointers for those who intend to set up a server:
  • Do not run litecoind or the Electrum server as root. You may run into one or two permission errors while setting up the server, but that can easily be fixed. In particular, you will probably need to create /var/log/electrum-ltc.log and chown it to litecoin:litecoin.
  • In /etc/electrum-ltc.conf, you should set host to the public hostname (e.g. electrum.mydomain.com) of your server (alternatively, you can set it to 0.0.0.0, which will make the server listen on all network interfaces, and set report_host to the public hostname).
  • In /etc/electrum-ltc.conf, leave path commented out, as that's for the older version of the database. (EDIT: ignore this, things have changed) Set path_fulltree path to the full path of the database you downloaded and extracted (you can put it anywhere you please, as long as the permissions are right; I prefer to keep it under the home folder of user litecoin).
  • To make your server use IRC (recommended), uncomment "irc = no" and change that no to yes. Then uncomment irc_nick and set it to a meaningful nickname (e.g. your forum nickname).
  • Once you manage to get a server running, please let me know so that I can add it to the list of default servers in the client.

By the way, I noticed that a couple of people tried to contact me on IRC last night, but I wasn't there. If you still need help, please try again; I'm on there most of the time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:46:38 PM by pooler »

Offline infinitepeace

• Litecoin Association Member
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
I don't know if it has to do with the server being in EU but it took forever to get the entire blockchain.

I grabbed the process ID for litecoind, then killed it, after it finally got all the data.  Quick ^O then exit.

Need a break now will pick up again later today.

Thanks pooler!
  This is a great learning experience for me - would highly recommend starting an Electrum server for anyone who wants to learn more about linux/litecoin on the server side.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:27:37 PM by infinitepeace »

Offline pooler

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »

Thanks for reporting.  I can confirm the issue.  The first beta packages I posted were not affected, but the current ones are.  I have notified upstream of this issue, as they are affected as well, and we're looking into it.

Meanwhile, I have updated the source package and Windows binaries to include a couple of bug fixes.

In addition, the exchange rates plugin now supports historical data from BitcoinVenezuela (thanks rdymac!).  Is anybody aware of other exchanges that provide historical Litecoin prices via an API (something like this)?

axa

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »
When I create a watching only wallet in Windows 7 the MPK is not saved and after closing wallet will no longer open.