Author Topic: Hashra Controla, RPi/Gridseed distro  (Read 22030 times)

Offline DarkKnight

Hashra Controla, RPi/Gridseed distro
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »
Starting a new thread at the request of the mods. It's not my distribution, however, I'm just making room for a topic about it.

Ver 1.2 can be found here:

http://hashra.com/support/

Direct Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdmah79r3yha83x/HASHRA-CONTROLA-V1.2.0.zip

And 1.2.7 modified for root access here:

If you have any trouble burning the img to your SD card because of the size, use this usb image tool to do it. I has an option to force write the image regardless of size. If the last block or two gets cut off, it should matter as that is an empty part of the image.

Note: There is no realistic difference between the 8GB and 4GB images. They are simply copies of the images from my 8GB & 4GB cards, the partition sizes are the same @ roughly 3700MBs. There are two images because I released the 8GB image first, but some users needed a 4GB image.

Performance Notes (Scrypt Only):

This distro has a 4 hour reset timer on BFGMiner. This is likely to improve stability, but it seems a little too often for me. It prevents proper long term tracking of HW errors and such.  I currently have 20 GS running from 2 cheap 10 port hubs that came with my kits. The hubs are also powering the RPi through it's USB peripheral input. The adapters are quite hot. My GSs have been running about 24 hours without me needing to physically reset anything, however. If it can go 48-72 hours without being fiddled with, I will call that stable.

Looking at the CPU usage, the RPi can sustain 20 devices successfully, as long as the webpage isn't left open. Updating the device statistics on the web page causes the RPi CPU to peg at 100%, creating a small, but noticeable degradation in hash rates. Use the page to check on it, but don't leave it open if you are running more than 10 devices. Pools show a very variable hashrate. It's hard to tell if this is miner side or server side. More testing is required.

Miner command line switches can be found by running: nano /var/www/class/miner.class.php (use 'sudo nano' if running as pi instead of root).
I added in htop, a more user friendly version of Linux' text based task manager. It allows you to view CPU & memory usage. You simply need to run 'htop' from the CLI. You use Ctrl-C to exit out of it, which you should as it, itself uses a decent chuck of CPU power.

Use screen -ls to get the screen that BFGMiner is running on, output will be something like ####.SCRYPT. You would then type screen -x ####.SCRYPT to view the BFGMiner interface. Again, you may need to use sudo, if you logged in via pi instead of root. Though, I don't know why you'd bother. If you screw up the image somehow, it's not a big deal to reburn it.

Once viewing the BFGMiner interface, if you want to drop back to the CLI, you need to press CTRL-A then CTRL-D. That will drop you back down without killing the BFGMiner process.

If anything goes wrong, you kill the wrong process, or interrupt you mining, just type 'reboot' to let your RPi reset and come back up.

I made a new copy of Hashra, updated it to 1.2.7, then changed the passwords. It was a PITA to figure out, but it's done now. I'm sharing it with you guys to hopefully help save some others' headaches.

8GB image
4GB image

Changes:

• Passwords: root/darkknight pi/darkknight
  • Default pools on first boot are set to mine for charity

Note: My MEGA account is free, so limited bandwidth. I'd appreciate anyone else who can redistribute it.

(Donations welcome if I saved you a headache)  ;)

BTC: 1LDYFTZhjHcxSWrgdzAwUgBT1T3b63iMf1
LTC: LcEAuGD8f7T7DRJqdRyTWhJKtGSAXDKQL3
DOGE: D5tEoH3JvXm5HRYtkbAvzun3RQTFg932T8

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:54:56 AM by DarkKnight »

Offline sprof

Re: Hashra Controla, RPi/Gridseed distro
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
What is the usename/password for the Hashra image? so I can login and shutdown raspberry pi if needed

Thanks

Offline bobby35ny

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »
Starting a new thread at the request of the mods. It's not my distribution, however, I'm just making room for a topic about it.

Ver 1.2 can be found here:

http://hashra.com/support/

Direct Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdmah79r3yha83x/HASHRA-CONTROLA-V1.2.0.zip

And 1.2.7 modified for root access here:

I made a new copy of Hashra, updated it to 1.2.7, then changed the passwords. It was a PITA to figure out, but it's done now. I'm sharing it with you guys to hopefully help save some others' headaches.

https://mega.co.nz/#!8R83Aa5A!YxofpkLC9PCMbpeR63a-YHZ81I7Tc_IS9IePP280wLg

Changes:

• 8GB card req (didn't have a 4GB handy)
  • Passwords: root/darkknight pi/darkknight
  • Default pools on first boot are set to mine for charity

Note: My MEGA account is free, so limited bandwidth. I'd appreciate anyone else who can redistribute it.

(Donations welcome if I saved you a headache)  ;)

BTC: 1LDYFTZhjHcxSWrgdzAwUgBT1T3b63iMf1
LTC: LcEAuGD8f7T7DRJqdRyTWhJKtGSAXDKQL3
DOGE: D5tEoH3JvXm5HRYtkbAvzun3RQTFg932T8

Also, I will be working on a 4GB image later today. I didn't actually have a 4GB card handy, so I will need to go get one. Such a PITA. Wish they had it packaged as an installer instead.

Just sent you one LTC, go run to the store...:)
-Bobby

Offline CobraXP

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
@DarkKnight - thanks for adding this thread. I am using Controla on 60 grids. 20 per Pi.

Offline CobraXP

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »
I hope they add a manual reboot switch instead of rebooting from updates.

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
Watching/waiting on the 4gb image. :)

Offline sprof

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
Watching/waiting on the 4gb image. :)

Also keen to try it if we can login  :)

Offline bobby35ny

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
@DarkKnight - thanks for adding this thread. I am using Controla on 60 grids. 20 per Pi.

Hey Cobra,
What hub gave you issues?
What hub worked good for you?
-bobby

Offline CobraXP

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

Hey Cobra,
-bobby

I had the Rosewill 10 port usb 2.0 hubs. They run on 5v of power. I switch to Etekcity and Orico (same hub dufferent brandings) 10 port usb 2.0 hubs with 12v power. I also had a Monoprice 24 port hub which died after a few days. Since I switch to the 12v hubs it all seems to run smoother and I get less reject and hardware errors running at 850.

Offline bobby35ny

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »

Hey Cobra,
-bobby

I had the Rosewill 10 port usb 2.0 hubs. They run on 5v of power. I switch to Etekcity and Orico (same hub dufferent brandings) 10 port usb 2.0 hubs with 12v power. I also had a Monoprice 24 port hub which died after a few days. Since I switch to the 12v hubs it all seems to run smoother and I get less reject and hardware errors running at 850.

I'm running the round 24 monoprice right now. I bought some etekcity plastic ones at amazon, 25 bucks, they are 12V, I get them on monday.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
What is the usename/password for the Hashra image? so I can login and shutdown raspberry pi if needed

Thanks

The user/pass with the default image is unknown. For whatever reason, the author has not chosen to share it. Thus, I have reset the password and released an updated image.

Just sent you one LTC, go run to the store...:)
-Bobby

Thank you so much! I'm actually working on the 4GB image now.  :)

Seems the card I used for the 8GB image had some extra space for provisioning or something that was picked up by the image maker. I can rewrite the image to that card, but not to other 8GB cards. :(

In any case, I will be done with the 4GB image shortly. Should fix the problem. It's actually a lot more complicated to make a .img with a size sufficiently small enough that it will fit correctly on the target card size. I've got the 4GB image made, but it's exactly 4GB. I'm in the process of shrinking it to 3700MB (@1.8MB/s ::)); the original size of the 4GB hashra img. This should 'burn' correctly onto any 4GB or larger card.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:10:24 AM by DarkKnight »

Offline anden

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
Anybody know where the cgminer launch commands are called in the image, I want to add api so I can monitor on cgremote but cant find the file/script?

Offline bexwhitt

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
Anybody know where the cgminer launch commands are called in the image, I want to add api so I can monitor on cgremote but cant find the file/script?

Hashra Controla, uses BFGMINER, not cgminer

Offline anden

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
In the log at the bottom, it is using cgminer while I am dual mining, so any idea where I can edit it?

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 05:58:46 PM »

Hashra Controla, uses BFGMINER, not cgminer

You say that like it matters.  ::)

4GB image is partially done. I wasn't able to shrink it successfully last night to 3700MB so it would easily fit on any 4Gb sd card. Instead, try flashing it using this tool:
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/

It has an option to force the flash, if your SD card comes up a little smaller than mine. I will continue working on it to get it shrunk.

To edit your miner config: nano /var/www/class/miner.class.php (use sudo if logged in via pi instead of root)

I'm uploading the 4GB img now. I will update my first post with the link when it finishes.