Author Topic: KopiemTu 2.0 - Nvidia 750Ti USB linux. Cuda 6.5 !!  (Read 224198 times)

Offline conmega

Re: Kopiemtu 1.0 - bootable 64bit linux image for Nvidia 750 Ti
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2014, 11:44:22 PM »
Nice setup. Here you have tools for flashing nvidia bios under windows:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/files/gtx-750-ti-power-limiter-mod.zip
from here:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1014-how-to-increase-the-geforce-gtx-750-ti-power-target-limit/

Thanks, its actually quite cram packed in that shelf, I'm surprised it all fit really.
And alright so I need to take the cards out of my mining rig and put them in a windows machine, flash them, and then put them all back?
That's how I though I'd have to do it, what I was wondering if there was a way to do it in linux though making it simpler then tearing all the cards out.
I guess I could install windows on a hard drive in the machine and move it from machine to machine to flash the bios's.

It's possible to run more instances of cudaminer simultaneously, and every instance hashrate is part of base hashrate. ("It is not a bug, it's a feature." :) )
I see, it just confused it a bit at first, thanks for the info.

All I know is its been running stable for the last 3 days or so with no issues as is.  :)

Offline SpacedCowboy

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »
In case anyone else was struggling to create a bootable USB stick from the provided image using OSX, the below should help... You'll need MacPorts installed, so go to macports.org and download the appropriate DMG for your OS version. Then install it, open a terminal, make sure /opt/local is in your PATH environment variable, and ...

1) Install dcfldd - not strictly necessary but since 'dd' has no output and 'dcfldd' shows progress, it's well worth it.
Code: [Select]
sudo port install dcfldd
2) See what the name of your USB drive is, do this by typing
diskutil list
Mine comes up as /dev/disk2, yours might have a different number on the end of it, depending on how many disks you have plugged in. Remember this, you'll need it from now on (wherever you ought to type this, I have used /dev/disk# below). By the way it ought to be obvious but to tell which disk is the USB stick, do a 'diskutil list' before plugging in the usb stick, and another after plugging kit in. The USB stick is the one that's different...

3) Unmount the USB disk by typing
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk#
4) Copy the image by using your new-fangled dd-replacement...
sudo dcfldd if=/path/to/kopiemtu-1.0.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m
Notes:

• you need to put the path to the .img file after 'if=' with no spaces between the = and the path. if= stands for 'input file = ', so here you're telling dcfldd what to copy.
  • there is an 'r' in the /dev/disk# - this is not a typo. If you use /dev/rdisk# instead of /dev/disk# it will go a lot faster because 'r' is a raw disk interface. Since we're laying down a filesystem here, it's an appropriate use of the raw device. Since there's no filesystem housekeeping to worry about, it's a lot faster, somewhere between 3 and 10x faster in fact. It'll still take 10 minutes, but this is better than an hour and a half...
  • you may get a 'invalid block size' warning. This can safely be ignored - it just means your USB stick is, piss-poor^W^W well, not the best [grin].
Hope this prevents *others* from wasting a day or so ...

Offline jk_14

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 02:38:57 AM »
Just upgraded my 3 x Gigabyte WF 750Ti rig to 6 cards, using ASROCK H81 BTC board. I was getting 300K a card when 3 cards where in but when I installed the other 3 - all running from usb risers I was getting rubbish speed.

I then give this a try. First boot was getting 1400-1500K from all 6 cards but then after a few hours noticed one card had dropped to just under 1Khash so tried a reboot.

Now all 6 cards are running at the 130K range.

Now I'd like to know how to get it back up to full speed and also how to up the clock/mem speeds so I can get 300K+ off each card.

Also if its possible to install Teamviewer?

"#1 PCIe x1-mode performance for Cudaminer
Cudaminer apparently has a high PCIe bandwidth utilization...thus when going from x16 mode to anything lower, as you get closer to x1 mode (risers or not), you're going to see degradation of performance (10-30 kH/s for 750 Ti in my experience). Cudaminer author is apparently going to be working to fix this ASAP since he'll soon be operating a 750 Ti rig with riser assemblies."
http://www.overclock.net/t/1468166/gtx-750-ti-mining/180

It seems Cudaminer not always like x1/x16 risers. Maybe this is the case?
If some first hours was OK, maybe this one particular card is impacting others?
Just for test - try to make next fresh pendrive to see if you see the same good start or not. If not, it is rather hardware related issue...
Next week I will have more Ti's, and I hope to have linear progress until 7-8 cards - we will see...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:43:07 AM by jk_14 »

Offline jk_14

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 02:58:01 AM »
Nice setup. Here you have tools for flashing nvidia bios under windows:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/files/gtx-750-ti-power-limiter-mod.zip
from here:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1014-how-to-increase-the-geforce-gtx-750-ti-power-target-limit/

Thanks, its actually quite cram packed in that shelf, I'm surprised it all fit really.
And alright so I need to take the cards out of my mining rig and put them in a windows machine, flash them, and then put them all back?
That's how I though I'd have to do it, what I was wondering if there was a way to do it in linux though making it simpler then tearing all the cards out.
I guess I could install windows on a hard drive in the machine and move it from machine to machine to flash the bios's.

It's possible to run more instances of cudaminer simultaneously, and every instance hashrate is part of base hashrate. ("It is not a bug, it's a feature." :) )
I see, it just confused it a bit at first, thanks for the info.

All I know is its been running stable for the last 3 days or so with no issues as is.  :)

If you have one model of 750 - play with one card under Windows, and when you will have final modded bios - populate it to all cards in your rig, booting rig with FreeDOS for example.

Last 3 days stable... Really good news, from future nvidia based miner point of view :)
(so, me also :) )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:30:06 AM by jk_14 »

Offline jk_14

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 03:01:28 AM »
In case anyone else was struggling to create a bootable USB stick from the provided image using OSX, the below should help... You'll need MacPorts installed, so go to macports.org and download the appropriate DMG for your OS version. Then install it, open a terminal, make sure /opt/local is in your PATH environment variable, and ...

1) Install dcfldd - not strictly necessary but since 'dd' has no output and 'dcfldd' shows progress, it's well worth it.
sudo port install dcfldd
2) See what the name of your USB drive is, do this by typing
diskutil list
Mine comes up as /dev/disk2, yours might have a different number on the end of it, depending on how many disks you have plugged in. Remember this, you'll need it from now on (wherever you ought to type this, I have used /dev/disk# below). By the way it ought to be obvious but to tell which disk is the USB stick, do a 'diskutil list' before plugging in the usb stick, and another after plugging kit in. The USB stick is the one that's different...

3) Unmount the USB disk by typing
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk#
4) Copy the image by using your new-fangled dd-replacement...
sudo dcfldd if=/path/to/kopiemtu-1.0.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m
Notes:

• you need to put the path to the .img file after 'if=' with no spaces between the = and the path. if= stands for 'input file = ', so here you're telling dcfldd what to copy.
  • there is an 'r' in the /dev/disk# - this is not a typo. If you use /dev/rdisk# instead of /dev/disk# it will go a lot faster because 'r' is a raw disk interface. Since we're laying down a filesystem here, it's an appropriate use of the raw device. Since there's no filesystem housekeeping to worry about, it's a lot faster, somewhere between 3 and 10x faster in fact. It'll still take 10 minutes, but this is better than an hour and a half...
  • you may get a 'invalid block size' warning. This can safely be ignored - it just means your USB stick is, piss-poor^W^W well, not the best [grin].
Hope this prevents *others* from wasting a day or so ...

Thanks a lot for your post, for me OSX is a strange area. :)

P.S.
Hint to see "progress" of dd I always use:
dd if=... of=... bs=1M &
vmstat -n 15
;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:37:00 AM by jk_14 »

Offline trisritri

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 06:10:08 AM »
Thank you very much for creating the image. I got it running on my rig. When I had 2 cards connected (one in the x16 slot and the other on a powered riser) they where hashing at 295kH and 255kH. I connected 3 more cards on powered risers and all the cards dropped to 150kH. Could you please give me some suggestions.. I am a noob.

These are the components -
Biostar HiFi Bitcoin mining mother board
5x PNY OC GTX 750Ti
Corsair RM750W
4 cards on powered risers, 1 card in x16 slot

Offline jk_14

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2014, 06:47:01 AM »
Thank you very much for creating the image. I got it running on my rig. When I had 2 cards connected (one in the x16 slot and the other on a powered riser) they where hashing at 295kH and 255kH. I connected 3 more cards on powered risers and all the cards dropped to 150kH. Could you please give me some suggestions.. I am a noob.

These are the components -
Biostar HiFi Bitcoin mining mother board
5x PNY OC GTX 750Ti
Corsair RM750W
4 cards on powered risers, 1 card in x16 slot

"#1 PCIe x1-mode performance for Cudaminer
Cudaminer apparently has a high PCIe bandwidth utilization...thus when going from x16 mode to anything lower, as you get closer to x1 mode (risers or not), you're going to see degradation of performance (10-30 kH/s for 750 Ti in my experience). Cudaminer author is apparently going to be working to fix this ASAP since he'll soon be operating a 750 Ti rig with riser assemblies."
http://www.overclock.net/t/1468166/gtx-750-ti-mining/180

?

Next week I will have more 750 Ti for testing

Offline SpacedCowboy

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »
dd if=... of=... bs=1M &
vmstat -n 15
;)

Yep, you can use vmstat or iostat, but it's far easier to grok "xxx Mb of yyy copied, zzz% done" :)

Offline jk_14

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »
dd if=... of=... bs=1M &
vmstat -n 15
;)

Yep, you can use vmstat or iostat, but it's far easier to grok "xxx Mb of yyy copied, zzz% done" :)

It's the same reason why "vi is my friend":
vi is always present.
And vmstat also :)

Offline davidrex

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
I have this setup and running with three 750 ti, but I only had a corsair 500W PS.  I usually have to initiate the "mine start" several times to make it start and stay running.  Do you think this is a function of not enough power?  My Killawatt reads a 245W draw, but I realize I could be exceeding the available amperage. 

Any thoughts?

Also, should I "install updates" for the os on my USB stick or just leave it alone?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:53:59 PM by davidrex »

Offline jk_14

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
I have this setup and running with three 750 ti, but I only had a corsair 500W PS.  I usually have to initiate the "mine start" several times to make it start and stay running.  Do you think this is a function of not enough power?  My Killawatt reads a 245W draw, but I realize I could be exceeding the available amperage. 

Any thoughts?

Also, should I "install updates" for the os on my USB stick or just leave it alone?

Thanks,

I'm not sure, but you are first user raporting it, so maybe it is somehow hardware related... ?

Yes, install updates, I hope this shouldn't affect mining...
(anyway, you will be the beta-tester of this issue :) )

Offline davidrex

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
I have a 650W power supply on order.  I'll update when I get it.

Can anyone say what the optimal amount of system ram is?  Is this a limiting factor of any significance?

Offline jk_14

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »
I have a 650W power supply on order.  I'll update when I get it.

Can anyone say what the optimal amount of system ram is?  Is this a limiting factor of any significance?

On my 4GB RAM rig, after booting the system: 1GB is used, 3GB is free.

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Just got my 750Ti and it is mining! Thanks for your work. Sending you a little LTC...

Can you help in explaining how to overclock? Asked in another thread but there is no response.

Is there equivalent to "--gpu-engine" as used in cgminer?

Offline davidrex

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2014, 01:46:45 AM »
So I'm still having trouble with this.  I have to "start mine" several times if I have more than two cards.  I've tried a larger power supply, and with my killawatt it still seems well within the confines of a 650W power supply.  I can tell when it doesn't start right away as the killawatt is a good indication.   I occasionally get some memory error on the startup as well.

Main board is MSI 970A-G46 with a Sempron 145 processor and 4GB of kingston ram.  Running off a USB memory stick and wired into my LAN.

What should I try next?  I've swapped out the powered risers and tried different video cards as well.  Using PNY 750ti.  I have a total of 7, but can only use 3 on this system.  I was planning on building two systems with a total of 8 cards.

Thanks