Author Topic: Win 8.1 vs BAMT vs LTCRabbit?  (Read 6876 times)

Offline sapientlife

Win 8.1 vs BAMT vs LTCRabbit?
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »
Hi,

For LTC mining which OS should I use Win 8.1, BAMT or LTCRabbit?
Thanks,
Brian

Offline wbensky

Re: Win 8.1 vs BAMT vs LTCRabbit?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »
BAMT is probably your best choice. Unlike Windows, its free and all you have to do is burn a image of it and set your cgminer settings, so setup is a lot faster. It also comes with a nice remote desktop interface.

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »
I believe LTCrabbit SMOS is a BAMT fork for LTCrabbit mining pool.

Offline Bennyfacter

• Litecoin Association Member
    • How to Mine Litecoins
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:40 AM »
It really depends on what you want to do with your computer, if you want to use it as a desktop computer/media server/gaming computer as well as mining, then I would suggest Windows 8.1.

If you want to setup a computer to mine with the smallest possible expenses running from USB with no hard drive, then I would recommend BAMT or SMOS Rabbit.

The SMOS Rabbit is only able to be used if you are part of the LTCRabbit mining pool, if you are, then it is a plug and play no configuration required solution that works on most AMD video card systems.

Offline EasyD

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »
What about Ubuntu?

Offline Rockyroad

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »
Ubuntu is fine.  You won't have to purchase Windows OS.  You will still need to download and install cgminer.  If you are looking for a cost saving OS, then a Linux OS is good, but if you are wanting the absolute best hash rates, there are threads on this forum from people that have tried BOTH Linux and Windows that indicate that Windows provides the best hash rates.

Offline HalpMeh555

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
BAMt  is meant to be easy, but I h ave tried to install it on three rigs and never got it going successfully, with different cards on each.

Offline precrime3

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
Ubuntu is fine.  You won't have to purchase Windows OS.  You will still need to download and install cgminer.  If you are looking for a cost saving OS, then a Linux OS is good, but if you are wanting the absolute best hash rates, there are threads on this forum from people that have tried BOTH Linux and Windows that indicate that Windows provides the best hash rates.

Lol ive heard just the opposite with BAMT giving best hash rates....

Offline GhostPlayer

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
I think Rabbit only accept ethernet... point to consider.

Also, some OS permit more than 4 or 6 GPU's... Anyone care to lay it out nicely? Could even end up as a sticky, I'm sure its a questions bound pop-up repeatedly

Offline EasyQuest

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »
I love BAMT, very stable, getting higher hashrate than windows with lower voltage compare to windows.

Offline precrime3

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Does bamt support wifi? And how would you go along installing the drivers if it does support it?

Offline pguerrerox

• Elite Member
  • Unbendable
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
LTCRabbit, SMOS, BAMT arent for the average Joe's, period.

Win7 / Win8.1, is so easy that a caveman can do it.

Offline wbmillerkc

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »

Wellll maybe not so much... I can't get Windows 8.1 home to run the 3rd GPU, it sees it then pukes to black screen.
My hardware is right (I think)
Gigabyte 990 FXA, Vishera CPU, 8 gig ram, SSD, 1000w Corsair gold single rail Sapphire r9 280x dual X...AMD 13.12 drivers and AMD APP SKD 2.9 loaded... and still no joy.

Windoze will run 2 GPUs just fine, but locks up when I add the 3rd one. I tried posting in the windows 8 forum, but just get a bunch of gammers that say you can't do that.

UUUGGGG! No work... hit with rock!

Offline pguerrerox

• Elite Member
  • Unbendable
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
Wellll maybe not so much... I can't get Windows 8.1 home to run the 3rd GPU, it sees it then pukes to black screen.
My hardware is right (I think)
Gigabyte 990 FXA, Vishera CPU, 8 gig ram, SSD, 1000w Corsair gold single rail Sapphire r9 280x dual X...AMD 13.12 drivers and AMD APP SKD 2.9 loaded... and still no joy.
Windoze will run 2 GPUs just fine, but locks up when I add the 3rd one. I tried posting in the windows 8 forum, but just get a bunch of gammers that say you can't do that.
UUUGGGG! No work... hit with rock!
caveman bro!

Try this:
- Do a fresh install of windows 8.1 with two GPUs on board finish the instalation and let windows update the drivers and stuff. Them add the other and let windows install drivers and such.
(worked for other user to get 6 GPU recognize and working, in a 990FXA-UD7)

Offline wbmillerkc

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

caveman bro!

Try this:
- Do a fresh install of windows 8.1 with two GPUs on board finish the instalation and let windows update the drivers and stuff. Them add the other and let windows install drivers and such.
(worked for other user to get 6 GPU recognize and working, in a 990FXA-UD7)
[/quote]

Yep... tried that too. Pulled the partitions on the drive in between installs so windows would think it's a raw drive. Still no joy. Gonna try Not pulling the partitions and doing a fresh install as you suggested. Maybe I'm missing a bios flash or something. I know it'll work inspite of what the gammers at Microsoft forums say.... there are too many folks on here and other forums running this UD3 board, and even Newegg sells it in a (overpriced) mining kit. I have to be missing something simple.......
I'm using an older LCD VGA monitor... but that can't be it.

I've been messing with computer for over 30 years off and on, and know sometimes it's just the order in which you do the same things. I just haven't hit the right sequence yet.

I miss DOS 3.3 .... you know, ... when things worked properly.   ACK!