Author Topic: Follow a noob on his journey...  (Read 13051 times)

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
Re: Follow a noob on his journey...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 10:23:30 PM »
Sir Nicholas (WHAT'S that? read on...)

I now have, mining hard, my Linux machine with a 7950 as well as my daughter's machine with another 7950. Regretably my son's machine is running an Nvidia GPU - no good for mining. I need more. Just one more... The mining bug has bitten well and truly. Need a fix.

I have been tinkering with microcomputers for longer than I care to recall. As a result I have loads of components wherever there was space to stash them. There is probably enough to build a few PC's. Rummaging around I dug up an old AM2 motherboard. Excellent! Complete with a PCIe x16 slot. There is also a x1 slot adjacent. No dual GPU setup without a riser (which has still not arrived...  :( ) Anyhow, just right for the newly released 7770. Looked into my CPU collection. Found a Athlon 7750. Scrounged up a pair of 1 GB DDR2 memory sticks. Gathered my Seasonic PSU (only recently retired after my upgrade to the new 650W Gold unit). I was planning on investigating mining using BAMT but will initially set up a Linux system to make sure all components are working. Thus, further picked out a HDD and DVD dive (and their cables). Hmmm. Getting crowded on my dining table... To cut a long story short, it all worked.  :)

And now, BAMT. Should I use 1.1 or 1.2? Can't decide... Then I remembered that SMOS is supposed to be an improvement. Looked at the thread. Skimpy instructions. And, what is this... Not SMOS? Another improved version! Read the thread. Says to refer to instructions (the skimpy one) in the SMOS thread. Not encouraging. Then while checking my mining stats in ltcrabbit https://www.ltcrabbit.com/#afq0yi . I stumbled onto "SMOS-LTCRabbit-Edition". Ah. Really comprehensive instructions there. Mainly Windows oriented guide for installation but helpful after that. For Linux it was simple. Download file. Double-clicked to open. Drag out file to desktop. Opened terminal. Use dd to copy to USB stick. Piece of cake.

Stuck the USB stick in. Re-boot. Bam! BAMT came up.  :-* All versions started from BAMT... Followed the instructions to change the configs and re-started. Mining at 180+ Kh/s. All very straight-forward. As an aside, note that I have now used that 7770 under Windows, Linux and BAMT. In all cases the hash rate was the same. The OS seems to have NO effect on mining performance.

Time to try something else. Remote control! Went to my main machine. Opened a terminal. Typed "ssh [email protected] -p 222". "Password ?" came the response. Typed in "rabbit". Got a stern warning about authencity and some RSA key-thing. Typed "yes" and root prompt came up. "screen -r" and the now familiar cgminer status page popped up with a list of accepted shares. See pic below. All the regular commands worked just fine. Job done.  8)

Sir Nicholas - my newest rig!

Nearly-Headless-Nick. With apologies to JK Rowlings and Harry Potter. Not quite headless as monitor still connected (to let you see the status screen in BAMT). Keyboard and mouse disconnected. Removing the monitor would result in a true headless rig needing only a power connection and a line to the router. Come to think of it, I have a USB wifi stick somewhere... Should try it out... RSN.

More views of Sir Nicholas:-

Sir Nicholas from the other side.

A closer look.

Star of the show - the HD7770

ssh session from my Linux machine into Sir Nicholas. Like my wall-paper?  ;)

Thanks for reading.

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »
Everybody,
Not many responses to my tales. Seems like talking to a wall. Should I carry on? How about some feedback?

Offline Dabs

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
I like reading. I'm about to start my own journey. Ordering a 280X TOXIC just for this purpose.

Offline ramuj0

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 05:38:25 AM »
I was thinking the same... should put them in a sub section of the forum 'Memoires of a noob' or some such.

I didnt take enough early photos for it to be really in depth though... unless I go backwards but I dont think I'd choose to do that right now.

Offline wjs9379

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:13 PM »
ltecoinfan great info and story so far.  as i said i am about to start out myself.  all the gear is on its way.  when i say i am a noob i mean i really am.  all your info on linux just goes right over my head.... i would even touch it, wouldnt know where to begin.  i have bben doing abit of mining with my cpu over the last 3 weeks after finally working out hoe to get poolers miner working and what i should right in the command line, pretty simple now in hindsight.

below is my basic gear, thanks to cryptobadger.

ASRock 970 Extreme4   
Processor   AMD Sempron 145   
Memory   4GB G.SKILL DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)   
Power Supply   Seasonic 860w Platinum PSU   
GPUs   3 x MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 (Twin Frozr)

i will keep you up to date with how i am getting on to if your interested and yeah mybe an area for noobs building rigs would be a good idea.

by the way would you know if i could use a 64gb memory stick straight into the MOB instead of a internal hard drive.

warren   

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »

below is my basic gear, thanks to cryptobadger.

ASRock 970 Extreme4   
Processor   AMD Sempron 145   
Memory   4GB G.SKILL DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)   
Power Supply   Seasonic 860w Platinum PSU   
GPUs   3 x MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 (Twin Frozr)

i will keep you up to date with how i am getting on to if your interested and yeah mybe an area for noobs building rigs would be a good idea.

by the way would you know if i could use a 64gb memory stick straight into the MOB instead of a internal hard drive.

Very nice specs. Would suggest a bigger PSU but this will work. How much did you have to pay for the 7950's?

Your mobo looks like it can support all three of your GPU's without the complications of using risers.

You do not need such a large USB stick to install BAMT. 4 GB more than enough.

And, everybody, thanks for the feedback. ;D

Offline wjs9379

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
i payed £249 for the 7950's but there actually Gigabytes not msi.....

by the way how does BAMT work, im not fully getting it yet. would i need to know abit about linux, i've never used it    i was gona use windows so i was told that i needed a harddrive.  the specs for windows 7 says you need at least 20gb to install.

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »
i payed £249 for the 7950's but there actually Gigabytes not msi.....

by the way how does BAMT work, im not fully getting it yet. would i need to know abit about linux, i've never used it    i was gona use windows so i was told that i needed a harddrive.  the specs for windows 7 says you need at least 20gb to install.

Costly... Those 7950's. Sellers' market...

BAMT is the software you need to run your hardware. It is the OS + mining program + basic configurations all-in-one. It all fits onto a USB memory stick. With this you do not need Windows or Linux or even a HDD. Just stick the stick into a USB socket and power up. If everything matches, mining proceeds automatically. I use the SMOS Rabbit version. See this link:- https://www.ltcrabbit.com/index.php?page=os

While BAMT is based on Linux, you need not know anything about Linux since this version is so highly automated. You may need to alter config files but that can be done in Windows. Of course if you take up Linux you will find it to be more helpful.  ;)

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »
A Bad Day.

The story so far. I have 3 "rigs" mining. First my Linux machine running a 7950. Then there is my daughter's machine running Win 7 and a second 7950. Finally there is Sir Nicholas running a modified BAMT with a 7770. Further tweaking has increased the hash rates of the 7950 to just above 600 Khps. My mine is producing a total of 1.4 Mhps. Joined the mega hash club!

I mentioned earlier that installing the 7950 in my machine wrecked the dual monitor setup that I was using. Time to fix that. Fiddled around with VGA and DVI cables as well as DVI-VGA adapters. Tried different combinations of connecting to the card and the mobo. No joy. Then, disaster! Linux refused to boot up. Even returning to the initial configuration did not help. Even tried swapping monitors with my daughter's machine. Could not even get into the command line to troubleshoot. Would I have to re-install Linux? Really painful to re-configure everything. In the end that was what it came to before I got back a working system. A really bad experience. Spent hours on the problem.

After everything seemed back to normal, went for a beer. Came back to the machine and it was DEAD. As in no sound, no lights, nothing at all. Hitting the power switch produced no response. This is a hardware issue, I think. Opened up the case. Checked the connections. All looked fine. Nothing else for it. Removed the 7950. Back on the integrated graphics. Hit the switch. PC came alive! Replaced card - dead PC. Tried card on Sir Nicholas - Sir Nick refused to start. Obviously the 7950 is the problem. Called the retailer. Got a real courteous guy (gal, actually). Agreed the card is not well. Can I have a replacement, please? Ummm, so sorry, no stock and none in the near future. Only recourse was to return for a refund.

I am now down one GPU. Checked for somewhere to buy another 7950. Out of stock almost everywhere. And where stocks existed, outrageous sums were being asked for. Paid £169 for each of mine and now being asked to pay £250 for one! Gave up on the idea. Checked ebay. There was a nice 5870 on auction. Decided to go for it. That has just arrived.

More later.

Offline wjs9379

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
sorry to hear about your bad day so ill not bug ya to much. 

That ltcrabbit sounds to good to be true.  so all i do is download the file onto a usb pen and once my rig is set up i boot from usb and it does the rest?  i dont even need windows installed on my rig or nothing?

Offline ltecoinfan

• Remember the Apple ][+
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »
sorry to hear about your bad day so ill not bug ya to much. 

That ltcrabbit sounds to good to be true.  so all i do is download the file onto a usb pen and once my rig is set up i boot from usb and it does the rest?  i dont even need windows installed on my rig or nothing?

That day was a few days ago. Was in no mood to write about it till now.  >:(

I am alright now.  :)

It does sound too good but it is so. Read the guide carefully. For instance, you cannot just "download the file onto a usb pen". That will not give you a bootable USB stick. You need to "image" it. Follow the instructions. If you get into difficulties I can try to help as far as I can...

Offline wjs9379

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »
cheers ltecoinfan,  yeah theres abit more work to it but it still sounds like just what i am looking for.  did you say you are using it urself, how do you find it and have you got all you rigs up and running again ?

Offline Cell101

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
Great read.  I just started a few days ago myself.  Don't know if I will ever recoup my hardware costs but it sure fun to tinker and learn.  Keeps me from other bad habits I figure...  Good luck on your journey.. I would like to visit your mine one day.  Are helmets required? flashlights?  ;)

Offline Pentax

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
Nice work.  I've done a lot of the same.

I've got some of the same issues also.

My 7950's are hashing also at about 575 kh/s, which kinda sucks.  I can push them higher, but not much and when I do I start getting hardware errors.

Care to share how you managed to increase your speeds?

And Bampt.  I've got that and imaged all nice and pretty on a usb, but cannot for the life of me get it to work.

I can run cgminer no problem, but I'm missing something on Bampt. 

Care to post a short primer and your config files?

After screwing with Bampt for a couple of days I've gone to windows/cgminer, set the computer to autoboot into cgminer and installed teamviewer on it and my laptop so I can remotely the control the miner, and set the power settings to immediately start up when the PSU has juice coming in, so if the system crashes or experiences a power outage it autostarts and if it hangs I can see it from work and restart.  That all works fine, but if I can get linux/bampt working properly I'll go that way..

Offline wjs9379

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 11:00:28 PM »
*UPDATE*

got all my hardware hooked up on WED got a copy of LTCRABBIT SMOS on to a usb and ran it, Bam worked first time mining away with my 7950 at 620KH/s.  Thanks all for the advice and help.