Author Topic: Litecoin Wallet for Android  (Read 181307 times)

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
Re: Litecoin Android 2014 Fund
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2014, 03:02:37 AM »
Thank you for taking the time and writing this down. Got it

Hey just read all of the above.  If you'd like to do some pure Java development, I agree with Warren that MultiBit with the new litecoinj would be the ideal thing to do now.  If you need help getting started with this, let me know, and I can guide you through using litecoinj.  Everything is maven, so if you know that, you're golden.

If you want to help with Android development, I would love that.  There's tickets here you can work on:

https://github.com/Litecoin-Java/bitcoin-wallet/issues?state=open

Feel free to fork the repository, work on an issue, and submit a pull request to us.  If it becomes a theme, we'll consider adding you to the official development team.  This goes for anyone with some coding chops - shows us what you got using github forking and pull requests, and you might set yourself up to get some of these awesome donations from the community if the contributions are substantial enough.  There's nothing stopping anyone from contributing!

Offline nwtrades

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2014, 03:23:34 AM »
http://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/unsupported_api_jellybean_intents.html
We use android.intent.action.ACTION_VIEW in a way that may be incompatible, but it's not absolutely necessary to use the app.

http://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/unsupported_api_jellybean_hardware.html
We use BarcodeScanner or QR Droid for our QR scanning - are those available on Blackberry?  If not, that would be a big bummer.

I'll mess around with this for a few minutes and see what happens.

Thanks for checking into that Hank!  Hopefully one of the native libraries works seamlessly across.

Andreas has released the source code publicly for his Bitcoin app which successfully implemented the barcode scanner.  Would it be possible to refer to his implementation for guidance?

You can find his source code here:
https://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/source/checkout

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2014, 04:38:22 AM »
Well, the conversion to BlackBerry 10 went fine, and it runs in the emulator like a champ!

Syncs with the blockchain rather quickly (~25 blocks a second in the emulator), confirmed a transaction I sent, backup worked.  I'm going to release this now.

Update: Waiting for BlackBerry to verify my Driver's License ...

Once they're satisfied that I am who I claim to be, it will be published.  It better happen tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:18:32 AM by hank »

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2014, 05:24:58 AM »

Thanks for checking into that Hank!  Hopefully one of the native libraries works seamlessly across.

Andreas has released the source code publicly for his Bitcoin app which successfully implemented the barcode scanner.  Would it be possible to refer to his implementation for guidance?

You can find his source code here:
https://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/source/checkout

His barcode scanner is integrated into the bitcoin Android app rather than calling out to another app.  This has advantages and disadvantages, but I've found scanning with the scanner included in Andreas' app is much much harder than just using Barcode Scanner on many devices I've tried.  Several devices I've had don't properly autofocus with Andreas' code.  This is why zxing created the IntentIntegrator class - so people don't have to continue reinventing the wheel and supporting tons of new camera devices all the time.  Perhaps I could detect in the app whether I'm on BB10 and use the internal scanning code if I am.  There's also apps like this one:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/48843/?lang=en&countrycode=US

Maybe they'll work... I can always add their java namespace to my list and it won't hurt on Android.  I'll mess around with that.  As long as BB doesn't mess with the Intent, it should work.

Offline nwtrades

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2014, 05:37:02 AM »
Well, the conversion to BlackBerry 10 went fine, and it runs in the emulator like a champ!

Syncs with the blockchain rather quickly (~25 blocks a second in the emulator), confirmed a transaction I sent, backup worked.  I'm going to release this now.

Update: Waiting for BlackBerry to verify my Driver's License ...

Once they're satisfied that I am who I claim to be, it will be published.  It better happen tomorrow.

Wow, that was fast!  Looking forward to trying it out.  History in the making! :)

Offline nwtrades

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2014, 05:42:37 AM »
His barcode scanner is integrated into the bitcoin Android app rather than calling out to another app.  This has advantages and disadvantages, but I've found scanning with the scanner included in Andreas' app is much much harder than just using Barcode Scanner on many devices I've tried.  Several devices I've had don't properly autofocus with Andreas' code.  This is why zxing created the IntentIntegrator class - so people don't have to continue reinventing the wheel and supporting tons of new camera devices all the time.  Perhaps I could detect in the app whether I'm on BB10 and use the internal scanning code if I am.  There's also apps like this one:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/48843/?lang=en&countrycode=US

Maybe they'll work... I can always add their java namespace to my list and it won't hurt on Android.  I'll mess around with that.  As long as BB doesn't mess with the Intent, it should work.

There may be a variance on Android.  I found BB10 works superbly, although people seem to have issues on Android.  It may be something to do with the focus or camera but I can assure you that it is perfect on BB10.  I've scanned QR codes on the web and on other devices, with detection about half a second on average.   

If you want to bundle in some test code for your next APK, I'd be happy to take a video of the results on a real device.

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »
Wow, that was fast!  Looking forward to trying it out.  History in the making! :)

OK here's the scoop.  I'll have an account soon where I can release the app.  I'm unable to test it in the simulator with the barcode scanner app (which seems like it will work from what I've read) since I can't install appworld in the simulator.  If you want to beta test it for me, that would be awesome.  Thanks!  I'll let you know when it's posted.

Offline Bossman

• Hardcore Member
  • In Coblee we trust
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:28 AM »
Hank is on fire  8)

Offline whyme

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »

OK here's the scoop.  I'll have an account soon where I can release the app.  I'm unable to test it in the simulator with the barcode scanner app (which seems like it will work from what I've read) since I can't install appworld in the simulator.  If you want to beta test it for me, that would be awesome.  Thanks!  I'll let you know when it's posted.

thanks hank,when will you release the  official  android  version?

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
thanks hank,when will you release the  official  android  version?

I haven't gotten any critical bug reports lately, and there are theoretically 20 or more people running the app around the world right now, so I think I may push it out today to production.

DEVELOPERS: I've posted a developer HOWTO here that details how to get started developing litecoinj and litecoin-wallet.  It should have all (or at least most) of the information you need to get the app and library building and deploy it to a device.

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
THE APPS HAVE BEEN PUSHED TO PRODUCTION!!  PLEASE TRY UPDATING!

OLD wallet with update to export to new wallet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet.litecoin
NEW wallet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet_ltc

The phone on the right is my development phone, the phone on the left is my wife's phone which got the production app:

Sorry about the blur - had my camera aperture set to super low f-stop for some reason.  You get the idea though.  Worked perfectly including QR scanning with QR Droid on her phone.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!  Please report any bugs to the bug tracker.

Offline Giga

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »
Today my old wallet asked me to update to the new one. I did and restored my private key. The wallet interface and features is pretty much the same as the old one.

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:31 PM »
Today my old wallet asked me to update to the new one. I did and restored my private key. The wallet interface and features is pretty much the same as the old one.

So you're saying it worked!?  AWESOME!  If some of you could follow Giga's example here and give a positive report it would make me sleep better at night :).  Thanks Giga!

Offline Bossman

• Hardcore Member
  • In Coblee we trust
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »
will test when I get home thanks Hank and Dev team  [ltc]

Offline whyme

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:01 AM »
THE APPS HAVE BEEN PUSHED TO PRODUCTION!!  PLEASE TRY UPDATING!

OLD wallet with update to export to new wallet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet.litecoin
NEW wallet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet_ltc

The phone on the right is my development phone, the phone on the left is my wife's phone which got the production app:

Sorry about the blur - had my camera aperture set to super low f-stop for some reason.  You get the idea though.  Worked perfectly including QR scanning with QR Droid on her phone.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!  Please report any bugs to the bug tracker.

Thank you hank!nice job.i have told Chinese people to upgrade the app.everybody happy.:)