Author Topic: Litecoin Wallet for Android  (Read 176373 times)

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
  • Linux Software Engineer
Re: Litecoin Android 2014 Fund
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »
Android Fund Status Update

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnlrnfU-U6E-dHBnYjhkZVdrZXVUTl94S2ROVGFUSlE&output=html
Thanks to this community we raised 75.3554 LTC for our new Android dev!  Please let me know in PM if you have an update or correction to the sponsor listing.  19.89 LTC remains before LiteGuardian kicks in an additional 50 LTC.

Offline adria33

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »
Not sure how relevant, but a bitcoin android wallet app written in Haskell as just been open-sourced. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7029422

"The idea of a bitcoin app that stores funds in another currency makes a lot of sense for people who primarily want to use bitcoin as an exchange mechanism without speculating on its future value."

"It's an Android wallet, where you maintain a euro balance (held by Bridgewalker for you). Using those funds, bitcoins will be bought at current market price whenever you want to send any. This allows you to use Bitcoin only as a payment mechanism, without being affected by the exchange rate volatility. You fund your account via Bitcoin as well, which will be exchanged for euros at current market price and credited to your account.
So: Bitcoin as transaction mechanism, Euro as store of value."

Offline Otoh

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »
Thanks Devs & Thanks LiteGuardian!

Date: 09/01/2014 21:03
To: LTC Android Wallet Fund 2014 Donations: LPwViUHsXXKWp65ZxVqag7B3wmbmo4Zfd2
Debit: -4.89 LTC
Net amount: -4.89 LTC
Transaction ID: 8c9c4c565bc5c6ac6b66c93b77e29922dc345a15a7581ee094aa7b582776fd65

Making 14.89 ltc total sent.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:33:29 AM by Otoh »

Offline whyme

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
warren,i setup the app on my phone.i can send or recieve LTC very soon.IT is ok.i tell Chinese fans of LTC,LTC dev will let fans use it very soon.When will you provide the official version?Everyone's excited about it.

https://github.com/Litecoin-Java/bitcoin-wallet/issues
Official version will hit the public Google Play store after the new Android dev fixes a little more and adds some kind of migration helper to the old Litecoin Wallet android app.  In terms of development there is still a great deal of work remaining.

I am guessing the Chinese will also want the official signed .apk available for Download outside of Google Play?

Chinese like Download the official version intside of Google Play.

Offline jevoldi

• Litecoin Association Member
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
Great work guys I'm really excited about bringing Litecoin to mobile. Donated 1.19 LTC yesterday.

Offline ltcbuyer

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
Date: 1/11/2014 09:24
To: Litecoin Android Wallet Fund LPwViUHsXXKWp65ZxVqag7B3wmbmo4Zfd2
Debit: -2.5645679 LTC
Net amount: -2.5645679 LTC
Transaction ID: a405516dc25d490f345a668dd35ad355f1ad6473b427434f034f3ee98b876c73

This donation should eliminate decimal points in the balance.

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »
Alright I guess I'll make my entrance now (finally)!  I've been hard at work on this app (I estimate around 40 hours, but I haven't been keeping track - I work full-time during the week, so this is all my free time recently).  There was quite a bit of discussion and work that went into this between Warren, BlueMatt and myself, and I want to take this opportunity to thank both of them for their efforts to make this app so much better than the previous one.

I know many of you have tried my old forked app (Joint Security Area is my Google Play publisher).  I'd like to apologize for any trouble anyone has had with it. It had some serious problems from the get-go, mainly since it was the result of a race-to-the-finish-style bounty.  The original author of litecoinj made the necessary changes rather quickly, and I picked those up and converted Andreas Schildbach's Bitcoin Wallet app in a couple days.  Ever since, there have been various known bugs such as:

* Being unable to empty your wallet (I now think this is a bitcoinj issue where it assigns a zero fee to wallet empties)
* Stuck transactions (probably because transaction fees weren't being calculated correctly)
* Inability to properly handle large numbers of inputs

The real nail in the coffin was an official Litecoin update that tweaked the protocol a bit, which rendered all the android clients unable to sync with the official clients late last year.  Many of you contacted me letting me know that the app wasn't syncing.  After a lot of effort, I managed to get the old app syncing again, but I knew this conversion was coming.  Necessary changes were made in bitcoinj to allow easier Litecoin network parameter specification, meaning less conflicts when pulling from upstream.  This has made development of this app MUCH easier, and I thank those who spent their time on it.

Andreas completely recoded his Bitcoin wallet a while back, creating version 3.  We forked version 3.29 of his app (very recent) to create the new Litecoin Wallet, which is the subject of this thread.  This new wallet has so many new features and fixes. 

* We brought back the Disconnect feature, which lets you TURN OFF the blockchain service and exit the app (normally, it continues eating battery).
* We stopped the blockchain service from starting when the screen turns on or when the device is plugged in
* We re-added the Transaction Details dialog, so you can see the details of any transaction in your wallet
* Block explorer links work (explorer.litecoin.net)
* All translations .. translated to say Litecoin/LTC instead of Bitcoin/BTC (please file a ticket if any of them are bad/wrong)
* Icons all changed over
* Brand new send confirmation dialog (shown in previous screenshots) - lets you make sure you're doing what you think you're doing.  Also shows what's going on with the fee.
* Improved QR scanning (see below for recent changes)
* URIs are handled in a less strict way.  This means scanning liteaddress.org addresses works (just a raw address QR code) as well as other QR codes with the "litecoin:" prefix, as well as parameters like amount, description, etc.

Tonight, I fixed all the reported bugs in the bug tracker, including:
* a Stack Overflow bug in the address view (caused by some menu issues, reported by NoGreedy)
* a Google Drive import bug (caused by the wrong MIME type on wallet export, reported by Warren)

I also implemented currency calculation for TONS of currencies:

AUD BGN BRL CAD CHF CNY CZK DKK EUR GBP HKD HRK HUF IDR ILS INR ISK
JPY KRW LTL LVL MXN MYR NOK NZD PHP PLN RON RUB SEK SGD THB TRY ZAR

This will get the LTCUSD rate from BTC-E or Cryptsy (whichever one works, in that order), then convert to these other currencies using rates from Yahoo!'s JQL API.

I also implemented a setting to allow you to pick which QR scanner you want to use (QR Droid, Barcode Scanner, Barcode Scanner+, or Barcode Scanner+ Simple).
If you don't have a barcode scanner installed, it directs you to the Barcode Scanner in Play.
If you only have one installed, it will be used, regardless of which one of the 4 it is.
If you have more than one, it looks up what you have selected in the preferences, and uses that one (default: Barcode Scanner)
I tested this with liteaddress scanning addresses with QR Droid and Barcode Scanner and they both work great.

I'm looking forward to continuing development, with hopes to add some neat new features such as:
* Hierarchical Deterministic (HD) wallets (also known as "seeded" wallets) - this way, we can give you a seed when the app is first started, you can save it, and if you ever lose your phone, you can regenerate your entire wallet no matter how many addresses you created.  Try Armory if you want to see this sort of wallet in action.
* Ephemeral wallets - scan a private key into volatile memory on the phone, sync it with the blockchain, send from it, hit panic button to blow it away.  This would be ideal for paper wallets.  The main problem with this is the blockchain sync takes longer and longer the older the paper wallet gets.  We're going to discuss solutions to this, and feel free to throw out ideas!
* QR code private key import.  Would allow both vanity import via QR code and liteaddress/paper wallet import.  This address would become a permanent member of your wallet, as opposed to the ephemeral wallet idea above.  This would be much easier to implement, and I may do it sooner rather than later.
* Some ability to export/import your address book
* Password/PIN protection (thanks for reminding me CryptoDude!)
* Anything else you (the users) consider useful.  As a user of the wallet myself, I may just add some useful features here and there without much formal process.  Feel free to submit requests here: https://github.com/Litecoin-Java/bitcoin-wallet/issues?state=open

Thank you all for your generous donations - they will be used for lots of continuing development on this app.  I look forward to becoming more of a part of the community now, and I'm excited about the possibilities.

UPDATE: It has come to my attention that people would like some transparency about who I am since there are obviously security issues when using any financial software received as a compiled binary.  My name is Erik Gregg, and I've been involved in bitcoin/litecoin for some time (a couple years).  I live in the US in the state of Maryland.  I'm a software engineer by trade, and I've been hacking on Android since attending a training hosted at my company last year.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:59:15 AM by hank »

Offline illpoet

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
great work hank! welcome to litecoin you won't be sorry!

Offline canonsburg

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 09:17:50 AM »
Great job hank and rest of dev team for putting this together  :)

Hope my small donation will help.

Date: 2014-01-12 01:05
To: Litecoin Android 2014 Fund LPwViUHsXXKWp65ZxVqag7B3wmbmo4Zfd2
Debit: -1.00 LTC
Net amount: -1.00 LTC
Transaction ID: 5a3ec2d5e075d90ae4fa90a5b5fab525667ed769030e85927f3a120ff4b0054a

Offline anarcoin

• Litecoin Association Member
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
Champion Hank and team!!
This is really sweet.

What do I do with the old wallet on my android? Do I delete it? where do I download the new one from?

Thanks man.

Edit,
It's cool.
I figured it out and now have 1 LTC on my phone ready to spend!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:23:03 PM by anarcoin »

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
What do I do with the old wallet on my android? Do I delete it? where do I download the new one from?

This is a great question.  I just uploaded a BETA version of the OLD Litecoin Wallet to Play.  You can access it by joining the litecoin-android google group here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/litecoin-android

Then see this post for the link:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/litecoin-android/MVnHEnnyDME

You'll be asked if you want to join the Beta.  Say yes using your Google account that you use for your device.  You should be able to update to the BETA version at this point, and try out the conversion.  Here's a brief tutorial:

http://imgur.com/a/xv8oL#0

You can move between the images in the album with the left/right arrow keys.  They are in chronological order.  I hope the descriptions are adequate enough to guide you through the process - it's pretty simple.  You will end up with 2 wallet backup files in Downloads encrypted with the password you choose in the process - feel free to delete these when you're done, and make a new wallet backup from the new app.

Offline Giga

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
great news warren can't wait for the new android wallet, it's much needed!

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12196.0
You don't have to wait, you can get it right now!

thnx warren i didnt realize, i will chk it out soon!

Offline nogreedy

• Litecoin : The official moon currency
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »
Great job from Hank and dev team (Warren...).
"Bravo" as we say in France.
I tested the version from a few days and I think it's very good.

I upgraded very recently to v. 3.29.1 and bugs I had noticed before are fixed (no more crash, I can choose QR Droid as scanner...)
  • I got an old Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread) Samsung mobile : With the new Android Wallet, the opening of the application is a bit long, sometimes it's freezing during 15 seconds...
    When I use Bitcoin Wallet 3.30 from  Andreas Schildbach, it's faster to open the app...
  • I'm not at all an expert but I think we must be inspired by Blockchain.info-Bitcoin Wallet which is very good (for BTC) ...
    For exemple, the transaction summary is perfect for Blockchain-BTC Wallet : you can check fee, confirmations number, you can add a note to remember details about transaction , you see the coins value during transaction and later (now and then) when you check transaction summary...
See Blockchain.info-Bitcoin Wallet screencapture below

Well, these are improvements that we are not obliged to implement immediately... perhaps for future upgrades...
Password/PIN protection is very important
Nevertheless, I repeat that the application is really good... talking about so much good things to come motivated me to donate 4 LTC

État: 6 confirmations, diffusée à travers 6 nœuds
Date: 13/01/2014 03:40
À: Litecoin Android 2014 Fund LPwViUHsXXKWp65ZxVqag7B3wmbmo4Zfd2
Montant net: -4.001 LTC
ID de la transaction: 4d23f97336181914c4946a7892a15fc40e67082df56b8ac61b20a0c280b1016b

Bye   :)

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 05:00:56 AM »
@nogreedy - thanks for the donation!

I'll look into startup times, but since it's such an old phone, and newer devices don't seem to be as slow, it's not likely I'll be able to do much about it because it's likely related to scrypt/blockchain syncing, and the old processor is having a hard time handling that.  Sorry about that - if there were a web-wallet like blockchain for litecoin, that would be more appropriate for that phone.

I love your idea about being able to keep notes on transactions - I've created an enhancement ticket here: https://github.com/Litecoin-Java/bitcoin-wallet/issues/25

The app currently has a transaction details that is accessible if you tap a transaction and go to the menu - check it out.  The number of confirmations and fee would be good to have there too.  Oh and I like the "now" and "later" value idea - packing the exchange rate into the transaction record is an interesting idea.  This will require some thought on how to augment the normal transaction store in the wallet - perhaps just an app-maintained map to transactions would work... I just added tickets for all these ideas - thanks!

Offline hank

• Litecoin Java Dev
    • Joint Security Area
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:05 AM »
I forgot to mention you can import private keys into the wallet by using the Scan feature on the main wallet page that shows the transaction list.  I just tried it with liteaddress.org and it worked fine.  It sets the creation time to NOW (meaning no rescan takes place), but I may add a feature soon to ask for the block height where the address first appeared.  This could simply be recorded with the paper wallet.