Author Topic: Litecoin Wallet for Android  (Read 176236 times)

Offline LiteGuardian

• Donator
    • LiteGuardian
Re: Litecoin Android 2014 Fund
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
LiteGuardian believes the Android wallet app is vitally important to the growth of Litecoin so we offer this challenge for the community.   

We will match the next 50 LTC donated to the Litecoin Android 2014 Fund in support of the Litecoin Dev Team.

LiteGuardian applauds the Litecoin dev team in the great strides  they have made over the 6 months, reaching parity with bitcoin development is HUGE.  We have been very impressed with the work done, keep it up!

Spread the word, let's get this 50LTC matched so we can donate together 100LTC to the dev team (currently around $2650)!!!!!

Before the challenge we were up to 45.2454321, so we need to reach 95.245 total (50 more) to completely fulfill the challenge!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:00:24 PM by LiteGuardian »

Offline Megaparsec

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »
Just sent 5 LTC :)
Can't wait till it releases, good luck guys!

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
  • Linux Software Engineer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnlrnfU-U6E-dHBnYjhkZVdrZXVUTl94S2ROVGFUSlE&output=html
Sponsor listings for Litecoin Java Dev efforts during 2014 will be in this spreadsheet.

Please PM me if you want to be listed or if there any corrections.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:49:59 AM by warren »

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
We fixed enough bugs where a public testing release is now ready.  We will be publishing it on Google Play soon, with the same signed .apk available for download elsewhere.

Offline Megaparsec

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »
My nexus 5 arrives tomorrow, the stars are aligning  8)

Offline CryptoDude

• nothing real can be threatened
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 05:57:16 AM »
Warren,

If the Android LiteCoin Wallet is successful, and it is truly a "lite" client (it will not have the entire block chain), then logically the next step would then make a super lite desktop client using the same technology. This will have even greater benefits for quick litecoin adoption.
This is why I think so much emphasis needs to be put on creating a truly robust "Android LiteCoin Client".

I understand that Bitcoin devs are working on pruning the blockchain, and I am sure LiteCoin is part of that effort. This effort will become more and more important, because to synch up a BitCoin/Litecoin clients now takes many hours.. But this is not a concern yet, further more I suspect if you prune too much you risk to compromise the integrity of the network.

We need to create super lite clients as soon as possible. The "Android LiteCoin Client" is only the beginning. ATM machines, POS systems, hardware wallets, all these things will be built on to of the "Lite Client". This is why I think it's important to look at the root of this issue and put all efforts on creating the Lite LiteCoin client.

Because I think in terms of adoption it's even more important then the heavy client.

I see a world where there will be some "BitCoin/LiteCoin" Full Clients and many more "Lite" Clients that rely on the Full clients to confirm their transactions. I see the ratio of Full Clients to Lite Clients be something like 1:20 ultimately.

So if you look at it from that perspective then LiteCoin only has 5% of it's own potential market, because it doesn't have a "Lite" Client.

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
For lite desktop clients, the next client to be ported will likely be Electrum because of its planned support for Trezor.  Multibit also plans to support Trezor but has some serious code quality and stability issues for Bitcoin.

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
Status Update: Pre-release, not for end-users yet
The app is published in Google Play for Alpha testers only.  It seems to work 99% now with a few known annoyance bugs.  The code is very messy.  It will be cleaned up after testing, more fixes, and discussions with upstream developers on what abstractions or fixes would be allowed upstream.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/litecoin-android
If you want access to the Alpha pre-release app in Google Play you need to join this Google Group with the Google account that is associated with your Android device.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/de.schildbach.wallet_ltc
After you have joined the above group, the app should be available from here.

Data is NOT compatible with the old Litecoin Wallet by "Joint Security Area".  You can however export privkeys from the old app and import it in the new app by using the menus.  The new developer joining our team will soon be updating the old app to better automate the migration process.  He will be introducing himself in this thread soon.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:01:38 AM by warren »

Offline CryptoDude

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 06:36:04 AM »
Joined.

99% isn't good enough lol. Messy code? Refactor it dudes.
In software nothing less then perfection, otherwise you get the Windows operating system. lol

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 07:01:10 AM »
Joined.

99% isn't good enough lol. Messy code? Refactor it dudes.
In software nothing less then perfection, otherwise you get the Windows operating system. lol

Refactoring and cleaning up the commit history is needed.  The hard part is coming to agreement with upstream on what they are willing to accept, as that determines in what way we will clean up the code to make it closer to upstream which reduces the burden of future maintenance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:24:05 AM by warren »

Offline CryptoDude

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:04 AM »
I just downloaded the App, and it just crashed. I had to kill the app and restart it. Could be because I lost my connection temporarily..

Now it's trying to synch up looks like it's doing it...

P.S. You keep saying upstream, what does that mean?

Offline warren

• Litecoin Dev Team
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
I just downloaded the App, and it just crashed. I had to kill the app and restart it. Could be because I lost my connection temporarily..

Now it's trying to synch up looks like it's doing it...

P.S. You keep saying upstream, what does that mean?

Huh, the app appeared in Play Store for you?  I don't see it here yet! =)

Did you save or send the crash report?

Upstream is bitcoinj and bitcoin-wallet.

Offline CryptoDude

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
My bad, I must have downloaded the old version....

Offline whyme

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »
Status Update: Fixed a few more bugs on Saturday.  We want to fix one more thing before public testing.  Meanwhile here is a screenshot of one of the new features: Confirmation dialog before send.

https://plus.google.com/+LitecoinOrg/posts/esoDMnSAJTd

warren i donated 8.76543210 LTC to "Litecoin Android 2014 Fund" .And  pls change litecointalk.org ip address,because chinese cant visit it.

Offline Shrikez

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »
Donated 1 humble LTC, more to come if things go well!

Go LTC!  :)

ID: 89dddf9710574cf670b4b1c637127b16e3d887d99c026d166caf38de4583df4a