Firstly, i'm sure this has been done before, I just couldn't find an up to date guide. This is my first guide so please bear with me (just trying to help out the community), I have installed this myself and it is working 100% fine, if you have any problems please post and I will try to answer them.
1) Firstly download the latest version VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/
2) Download Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal for your Architecture, 32 or 64 bit (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
3) Install Ubuntu 12.04 (I shouldnt have to explain how to do this), Choose to install OpenSSH Server during install, Put the network adapter into bridged mode and give ubuntu a static IP on your network.
4) Download Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
), Log into the server via SSH as it will make it easier to copy/paste commands
5) Firstly we will install the dependancies we need (All these commands assume you are logged in as root user) you can do this by running the below command
sudo su -
apt-get install -y build-essential libboost-all-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libdb5.1-dev libdb5.1++-dev python-zope.interface python-dev python-twisted python-twisted-web git screen
6) Now we will download the latest litecoind source from git
git clone git://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin.git
7) Time to compile
make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=-
cp litecoind /usr/bin
Now we have compiled and copied the file to the /usr/bin directory we can set up the config file
nano -w .litecoin/litecoin.conf
a) Add the Below to the file, Please change the user/pass when creating this
9) Now we can start the litecoin daemon and let it download the blockchain
10) Now to download p2pool from git
git clone https://github.com/forrestv/p2pool.git
python setup.py install
11) Now we can start up p2pool and let litecoin carry on downloading those blocks, Please change the address to suite you.
screen -d -m -S ltcp2pool ~/p2pool/run_p2pool.py --net litecoin --address LhFru61aFzqQFCbUH6h8eFt349hbR4TzXu --give-author 0 rpcadmin jkdhgfiybwiybfoyuwbrouybroiuaygbfyfyuf
12) Now we can view whats going on by typing the below to re-attach to the window.
13) to de-attach from the window use the following command (its a good idea to read up on screen)
14) Now we need to wait for it to finish downloading blocks
"Litecoin is downloading blocks...", This can take a couple of hours, go watch a movie or something
15) Once litecoin has finished downloading blocks we can connect to the web front end.
16) Personally, I prefer the extended frontend you can download from here (https://github.com/hardcpp/P2PoolExtendedFrontEnd
) and just replace the files in ~/p2pool/web-static/ (I use winscp)
17) When Mining connect to http://yourserverip:9327
, username is your wallet address, password can be anything.
18) You can start mining right away but you will need to leave it some hours to sort itself out (i did anyway), Also remember to allow this IP address incoming connections (or port forwarding TCP 9338 (https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=1904.0
Thank you for reading my guide and I hope you found it useful. Please feel free to donate to my cider fund (LhFru61aFzqQFCbUH6h8eFt349hbR4TzXu) and I will try to write more guides like this one. I am currently writing a guide on how this can survive a reboot without having to be manually restarted