Author Topic: [STORIES] How did you come to find litecoin/bitcoin?  (Read 62872 times)

Offline illpoet

Re: [STORIES] How did you come to find litecoin/bitcoin?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2013, 01:00:21 AM »
in real life i am a hoarder. its always been and still is a big problem for me. about 2 years ago i was talking to a girl about how i've tried many times to stop hoarding and can't.  she gave me the best advice of my life : Make it work for you, not against you.  She recommended i stop hoarding fishing gear, and start hoarding silver.  I saw the sense in this and started hoarding prec metals.  On a prec metals forum i saw bitcoin referred to as the "gold rush of the 21st century" so i looked into bitcoin. omg you can mine them with gpu's? i have a ton of gpus bc i like pc games and i can't throw away old computer equipment. then i saw sealswithclubs. im a good poker player bc at its heart its just hoarding chips.  so i went to seals and won myself a decent bitcoin hoard.  then litecoin came out and it was the silver to btc gold. HOLY COW I LOVE FRICKN SILVER and I can solo mine so i don't have to share my hoard!  it was a no brainer to get into litecoin, probably couldn't have not got into it if i wanted to.   I can say easily litecoin has been one of the best events in my life. before litecoin i was semi homeless living paycheck to paycheck and only able to afford to eat maybe one meal a day if i was lucky (bc of govt garnishments and hoarding problem).  Now i have a little bit of money i can use to buy groceries and stuff and pay rent!  I would name my first born male child coblee if i didn't think that would get him into a lot of fights on the playground.

Offline ShadowBroker

• Lets see just how deep your pockets can go.
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
Two words... Silk Road

______  _______  ______  ______  ________         ______  __    __ ______ __    __ __    __ __    __ __
 /      \|       \|      \/      \|        \       /      \|  \  |  |      |  \  /  |  \  |  |  \  |  |  \
|  $$$$$$| $$$$$$$\\$$$$$|  $$$$$$| $$$$$$$$      |  $$$$$$| $$  | $$\$$$$$| $$ /  $| $$  | $| $$\ | $| $$
| $$__| $| $$__| $$ | $$ | $$___\$| $$__          | $$   \$| $$__| $$ | $$ | $$/  $$| $$  | $| $$$\| $| $$
| $$    $| $$    $$ | $$  \$$    \| $$  \         | $$     | $$    $$ | $$ | $$  $$ | $$  | $| $$$$\ $| $$
| $$$$$$$| $$$$$$$\ | $$  _\$$$$$$| $$$$$         | $$   __| $$$$$$$$ | $$ | $$$$$\ | $$  | $| $$\$$ $$\$$
| $$  | $| $$  | $$_| $$_|  \__| $| $$_____       | $$__/  | $$  | $$_| $$_| $$ \$$\| $$__/ $| $$ \$$$$__
| $$  | $| $$  | $|   $$ \\$$    $| $$     \       \$$    $| $$  | $|   $$ | $$  \$$\\$$    $| $$  \$$|  \
 \$$   \$$\$$   \$$\$$$$$$ \$$$$$$ \$$$$$$$$        \$$$$$$ \$$   \$$\$$$$$$\$$   \$$ \$$$$$$ \$$   \$$\$$

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:54:42 AM by ShadowBroker »

Offline jubalix

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »
ok

so I heard about BTC before the first crash on 4chan /g/, I tried for days to try and buy some when it was back around sub $7, in 2010/2011?, however I lived far away from the USA, and had no way to buy BTC. I tried every thing to buy, but every thing dwolla, and other payment methods would not accept my non usd cards, currency etc....short of getting on a plane flying to the US and some how buying it there I was screwed, I purchased the tickets, got the passport out, but then some one talked me out of it...I then saw it go to $32, I thing and then crash to $2. I was so happy I missed that *investment fail* (stupid stupid me). I did not understand mining at the time and the hash was probably to high. . Fast forward 2 or 3 years to 2013

I heard about asics being made, that very day, when I realised that some one had put down the money to make specialized volume IC's/ASIC (i had done VLSI SSlogic)   meant it was serious cash and confidence was involved in BTC. I googled and found i could now buy BTC in local currency but at 10% markup. Screw it I wend and bought btc anyway. It cost a bit. The very first thing was learn everything I could, and that's when I realised, this was about FRB/CCR central banking alternative and tax base erosion. I had done the law of banking. Within a 3 days I had found out about alts, BTC E looked weird to me, I bought on vircurex as a start, and then later BTC, and from that NZ guy who closed down. I bought TRC and PPC  and  LTC....but not that much. I reasoned that one of the alts must go up faster than BTC itself as it's much easier to got for 0.1c to 10c than from $30 to $3000. I had a rush of blood to the head that impelled me to buy some LTC.....

I know look for alts that have know good DEVs

I believe PPC has perhaps the largest latent potential, and we could see BTC at fractional amounts of LTC in 2 - 3 years

The network effect of asics pushing people onto scrypt may end up being deleterious to BTC,

further the graphics cards are resalable thus offsetting their purchase price, and make the coins more spread out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:58:47 AM by jubalix »

Offline Sportman

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »
Where are all the stories about buying weapons and explosives to take over small 3rd world dictatorship countries?

Offline medicine

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
First heard about BTC from the book, "Best of American Science and Nature Writing 2011." Only wish I knew about it earlier.  Downloading the btc blockchain the first time was a real bitch. 
Can't remember where I heard about LTC first? Probably bitcointalk.

Peace

Offline mike8675309

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I heard about Bitcoin the first time from Steve Gibson during  a Security Now podcast #287.  Then I used google to learn so much more.  I didn't consider mining at that time, just kind of kept following it.  About a month ago I started thinking about Mining and found that the difficulty was growing every month and the investment for mining Bitcoin was starting to be silly.  So I looked at other currencies and thought I'd start with Litecoin.

Offline mnemonic

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

Offline Smoothie

• VIP Donator
  • ► ► ► WWW.LEALANA.COM ► ► ►
    • LEALANA UNFUNDED PHYSICAL LITECOINS
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »
It is always interesting to read people's stories on how they discovered Litecoin.

Thanks for all who have shared so far!

Offline mmitech

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
Attention! this maybe a long and boring story

I have a friend been mining Bitcoins for 2 years now so I've first heard of Bitcoin some time ago I cant remember exactly when, but I never searched of what it was and I never took it seriously for few reasons, one of these reasons is that my friend is not a technical type of guy, and when ever I asked him about why he bought and what he was doing with his 50+ Graphic cards he allways replied " I am giving the hash power for rent and I get paid with Bitcoins" my next question was always what is Bitcoin, and he replied " you can change it for euros or buy things with it", so this bad explanation of his was the reason why I never looked at it, many times I offered him help with his hardware before he got some contractor to help him out with this and he many times mentioned again Bitcoin, and after that my curiosity went to  a level that I really did wonder about what is this Bitcoin. wait till this point I didn't make any search about it yet, because each time I wanted to search about it, I already forgot what was the name of that thing.   

so not long after I started a project with my cousin, we mainly started Brute-forcing Nokia SL3 codes to unlock them, SL3 locks use a SHA1 algorithm. So we needed GPUs to run the HASHcat program, here where I called my friend to sell me some of his used GPUs, he really sold me some of his cards and I started brute forcing SL3 phones, at the start it looked promising, but then I didn't have any thing to unlock for more than a month. so I was thinking why wasting the hardware and energy waiting for something there may never come. I called my friend who sold me the GPUs to ask him again about what that thing he was doing. and he told me mining Bitcoin, than I started searching about what was Bitcoin, I was so excited that I slept only for 2-3 hours than went to work for the hole week. I started mining at Slush's pool, than Mtred, I didnt make that much of money especially after the Block halving, my friend was thinking about stoping and moving to ASICs (of course he thought that he will get them in January) so he sold me more GPUs. I didnt mine that much of bitcoin, more or less I took it as hobby.
 my system was crashing and I didnt fix it for few days, sometimes It went off and I didnt give it that much of attention, untill one day I had vacation so I had time to fix the 2 rigs up and decided to read some instruction about getting the maximum hash speed of my cards.  when I was googling  the subject one of the top results was Consolidated Litecoin Mining Guide for 5xxx, 6xxx, and 7xxx GPUs, I was like what litecoin, what is litecoin ?
 I started again, I did read about litecoin more than Bitcoin, I took my time to look at it studied it and then decided to mine it  February 2013, Litecoin than was worth few cents (I think 0.07$) difficulity was around 18 I think, I started mining in notroll.in than moved to litecoinpool.org (yes thanks god) and I stayed there till writing these lines.
I have to say that mining LTC was more painful than mining  BTC, my 2 rigs were crashing constantly and I was constantly trying to fix them, many times I just got pissed off and didn't have the energy  to deal with them and left them off for the hole week, I mined around 1500 LTC in notroll.in and then tried give-me-ltc I mined also few hundreds there, then I moved to Litecoinpool and stayed there, I kept mining LTC even when it was less profitable than mining bitcoin. I stoped caring about other alts when I saw the ton of copys they were made each day, hell I do not even know how many ALts we have out there.

the most thing I regret is selling over  2500 LTC when the price was around 0.17$ , just short after I sold out the price went to 5.9$, and difficulty jumped up as a rocket, I bought goods and hardware with LTC, sent some to my friends to introduce them To LTC, talked to many people about LTC and donated much of it as well.

today I do not have that much in my wallet, but I am really happy with what I have, I made new friends and met new amazing people because of LTC, it became more than a hobby for me, it keeps me occupied, It gives me and my small family faith that we can achieve things that we couldn't achieve by working and getting a paycheck at the end of the month.

this is my story with LTC, and sorry for the long and boring post 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:24:29 PM by mmitech »

Offline Tesla

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
I heard of bitcoin on d-news. It sounded interesting, the rest is history...

Offline legitnick

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Read about it on reddit in the middle of 2011 and ended up using my graduation money to build 2 rigs. Instead of hoarding all the coins I mined I ended up selling them and broke even on my investment. Sold all the hardware to end up with a 50% profit to switch to FPGA mining. I could have made a decent amount of money if I didn't make so many mistakes but for the most part I got into mining because I was curious.

I heard about litecoin back when it was profitable to CPU mine but I was never able to get scrypt mining setup correctly so I gave up. After it got popular I decided to setup a 1.2mhash/s rig for $650.

Offline EskimoBob

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
I was actually one of the guys who got together in IRC to start the Litecoin :)
Man, those where the days nights.

Offline Smoothie

• VIP Donator
  • ► ► ► WWW.LEALANA.COM ► ► ►
    • LEALANA UNFUNDED PHYSICAL LITECOINS
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
I was actually one of the guys who got together in IRC to start the Litecoin :)
Man, those where the days nights.

If I'm not mistaken that was not long after FBX. I was around as well.

That was almost two years ago. Time flies...  ;D

Offline Operatr

• BlockBurner
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »
I had remember hearing about Bitcoin a long time ago but like many didn't think much of it, still in the earliest days before being worth any amount of fiat in exchange.

But a few months ago I had a friend approach me about it knowing my status as a tech guy, curious in the investment opportunity. She fronted capital to build a Litecoin miner (as Bitcoin ROI was already reaching well beyond GPU mining at that time), and from there led me to create BlockBurner as a professionally oriented mining outfit. I quickly discovered that this is something I wanted to be a deep and active part in long term, which my particular skill sets guided me right into the mining world. I am very thankful that my friend enabled me to get involved, as I really feel at home here and can't wait for what happens next.

Offline JonMurphy

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
Well I was trying to buy some pot seeds online back in 2011 and I found Silk Road. Once I started using Silk Road I became more familiar with the deep web and learned about BitCoins.