Author Topic: [STORIES] How did you come to find litecoin/bitcoin?  (Read 64703 times)

Offline strongleaf

Re: [STORIES] How did you come to find litecoin/bitcoin?
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »
I've known about bitcoin even since it was announced but didn't pay attention to it until a year back when bitcoin high an all time high of $260. After researching, I've convinced myself that bitcoin and litecoin would be my ticket out of colleague debt. With free electrical power from the dorm, litecoin became the most viable coin to mine with GPUs then. Got involved and learned so much about the community.... and so here I am. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:25:00 AM by strongleaf »

Offline saigoned

• Litecoin Association Member
    • Bitcoin and Litcoin Merchandise Coming Soon
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2014, 06:30:59 AM »
Welcome to the forums:)

Offline elena20

« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
I learned more about LTC and other cryptocurrencies through various forums and reddit posts.  :)

Offline boulistips

• Boulis Soccer Tips
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
I found out in an open-source software forum, because Bitcoin and all other cryptocurrencies, are open source projects.

Offline aka.nick

• ScryptASICs.net
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
I first heard about Bitcoin from the Colbert Report; fascinating from the jump!

Offline prazola

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »
I was looking for Tahiti BIOS mods :D

Offline cacc

• Notseen.com
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
I first heard about Bitcoin from Steve Gibson on Security Now in early 2011. Him and Tom were talking about this really cool new crytocurrency thing and it caught my attention. I usually had my computers bogged down when not in use by [email protected] and figured I would give a night a week to Bitcoin. Even on mediocre hardware at the time I was able to mine 20 Bitcoins in a couple months. At the time there was very little that you could do with Bitcoins, so I kind of forgot about them. When the whole hype about them started in the regular news cycles I decided to find the old hard drive that had the wallet and sell them; they were up to about $100 at the time. I invested that money into a computer (and some other goodies) to be a dedicated mining machine. ASICs were on the market at the time, but I didn't know enough about them and they were really expensive so I didn't go that route. That mining computer didn't do that well for me after just a short while because of the difficulty in mining Bitcoin without a dedicated chip. That computer just ended up becoming my everyday computer and not that often did I have it mining.

About a year later, a month ago (end of September 2014), I decided to look back into the world of crytocurrency. I knew that Bitcoin hit big and then dropped right down, but I kept hearing about "altcoins" on the tech podcasts that I watch. Dove a little deeper into it and decided to give Scrypt mining a try because it is still possible with basic hardware. I settled on Litecoin because it is the most established one out there and was the most like Bitcoin in the way of how it works. Hundreds and hundreds of options, but Litecoin was definitely second best to Bitcoin and didn't just seem as if it was satire like Cannabiscoin or Jackpotcoin. I threw some cycles at mining and was getting about 60KH/s with my ageing computer. After seeing the few cents I was making with that, I started throwing all my other computer power at it and was up to 300KH/s by the end of the week. I read more, mostly on this forum, and made the decision to dump all my bitcoins and by a couple Scrypt ASICs. With my Bitcoin I ended up with just over $1400 so I scoured Kijiji and eBay for people selling some used hardware. I ended up with five Gridseed G-Blades (one of which is volt-modded) and two Zeus Thunder X3s; luckily I have a bunch of power supplies, wiring, a USB hub, and a Windows netbook laying around or else the cost would have been significantly higher. The G-Blades have already arrived and are all setup hashing away at about 28MH/s with the Thunder X3s coming later this week.

At current difficulty and pricing that is about 6-7 months to ROI, but since it was all crytocurrency that paid for it to begin with...

...and that is how I got into Litecoin.

Offline permade

• I am sleepy
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
I know about bitcoin because i get giveaway from stellar and i must convert to btc because there is no stellar exchange for my local currency unlike bitcoin :)

GlassICE

« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »
I climbed to reach every business opportunity i hoped in my life,
from a retail store to being an IT Deskworker, i took alot classes, trainings and…,but earch for having an equivalent job has been failed,
i even dumped in my love life and someone who i loved so much gave me a cold shoulder after afew months of trying and only chosing the first and one,it failed, at last i introduced with bitcoin via a news channel, looked more into it, finally thought about mining stuff, mining hardwares, cloud mining, i invested at one of these Cloud hash mining websites which was both offered Bitcoin and Litecoin mining Hash Powers,in that time, i didn't know if i purchase MH, i will mine Altcoins, at first i thought i have to do sth for mine my coins, but the staff told me that it's Automatic, and i told myself "Jesus, Really ?"
yeah it's not bad, i'm mining right now, of course i just hope  that the Litecoin's Price just rise up a little, the link is:

MOD EDIT: Removed referral link spam

Also recently came with discounts, Lower Fees, and some extra plans such TwinHashes which u can both mine LTC and BTC, which i'm doing rt now

Good Luck and Regards, Omid
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:54:51 PM by TheMage »

Offline andreyivakin1987

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »
interesting stories

Offline Totscha

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2015, 10:14:43 AM »
I first became interested in Bitcoin in early 2013. I kept hearing about it previously but never paid much attention. Then there were some news on my favorite IT news site about the blockchain fork during mining (BerkleyDB vs LevelDB). So I became interested in this mining thing and read everything I could about it. It seemed like a great side project/hobby for me.

After a great deal of research I found that GPU mining was dead, FPGAs were hard to get because most companies stopped selling them. But that wasn't important, the ASICs had just hit the market (Avalon) and that was basically the only way to go from then on. Long story short the pre-order thing didn't sit right with me as I wasn't willing to risk it. So I forgot about it for a few weeks.

Then the April bubble came and the news sites were full of stories about it. And I decided to run the numbers again. Still too risky. The only company that looked right to me was Kncminer (they just announced the Saturn), but their delivery date was in September. And I'm not a patient man :) At least not THAT patient. I wanted to mine NOW. :D

I don't remember how, but I somehow found out about these Litecoins that could be mined on GPUs. Now that's more like it! :) So I started playing around with those numbers. And in the beginning of May I finally decided that I would go for it. Bought my first rig a week later, and after a week of trial and error it seemed I had a reasonably efficient mining setup. At the end of May I had 6 rigs running 24 7950s and making a whole lot of heat in my garage :D

Was a long time lurker on the forum. Only signed up in November that year when I became interested in the new FPGA developments for scrypt mining...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:27:31 PM by Totscha »

Offline AmDD

• I like coins
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
I got into [email protected] years ago and eventually moved from that to [email protected], I thought helping cure disease was more important than hunting aliens. I used to browse DC forums a lot and one day I saw mention of Bitcoin miners and people trying to decide which to point their hardware toward. I would always checkout the latest DC project so a quick Google search pointed me toward bitcoin.org. My first thought was "wow, this webpage looks so familiar" and after a few minutes I realized I had been there months prior and dismissed it as "geek money" or something.

I joined Bitcointalk in the summer of 2012 after Bitcoin had fallen from its $30 high. The price was $5-7 or so and I started mining with my CPU and within a week I was on ebay buying 5850's to GPU mine. I managed to mine some coins (at one point I added up all the coins I ever sold and it was around 250BTC). I soon bought some FPGAs (modminer quads) and then when ASIC rumors started I traded my MMQs for bASIC which failed. I ordered some Block Erupters, mined for awhile and sold them on ebay. Thats the most Ive ever made with ASICs, by seling them!

At some point along the way I heard about Litecoin and after a quick look decided to buy like $80 worth (litecoin was around $.07) and promptly forgot about them until the price jumped to $2-3. Probably around the same time is when I switched my 5850's over to mine Litecoin and various other coins. As the price climbed I ended up building 4 more mining rigs with 4 7950's each, all of which paid for themselves over a few months time.

I now own 7 Block Erupters which are sitting on my desk at work and I use them as a conversation starter. I also bought a few Scrypt ASICs, Gridseed "orbs" awhile back and more recently the gridseed G-Blacks.

I dont talk much but Ive been around awhile... I only wish I had bought more than $80 worth of LTC back in the day. Hind sight is 20/20 tho, you cant dwell on it.

Offline Dabangg

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2015, 11:46:31 PM »
I learned about Litecoin after Bitcoin. I found out about Bitcoin when someone was selling something and only accepting Bitcoin.

Offline floralindia

• Send Flowers in India, Buy Flowers Online, Send Flowers in Delhi
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2015, 11:31:51 AM »
After being into bitcoin for almost 6 months i read about mr. lee and decided to enjoy with bitcoin.

Floral arrangements | Fresh cut flowers | Flowers